I have a driver that keeps faulting the system (Windows XP)

kris44dad

My boss' PC keeps faulting.  I found some disk corruption with chkdsk (but didn't use /F, yet).  I did a scan with sfc. The windows system critical files seem ok, based on that.  So, I  figure an application driver got zapped. The system has been occasionally freezing with no user intervention for weeks, and finally blue screened once today.  It's a legacy system.  I only want to rebuild the OS as a last resort.  

Questions...

1) His PC has old drivers that presumably are never used (old printers and such).  Do these old drivers ever get loaded if not used? Or at least, not causing the fault, so I can safely ignore them?

2)  Is there a way (on a WinXP system) to get an indication of which driver may be the culprit, without trying to peruse a memory dump? LOL (Or maybe that's the only way?) 

Ideally, I like to just restore the file or files that got hit.

21 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

The system has been occasionally freezing with no user intervention for weeks, and finally blue screened once today. 

Frankly sounds like hardware is failing, the disk corruption only being a consequence of that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

37 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

without trying to peruse a memory dump?

I'm happy to deconstruct the memory dump, might provide some insight, but with only 1 crash dump, it won't point out clearly where the issue is. As @Kilrah said, it's likely due to age more than anything.

39 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

His PC has old drivers that presumably are never used (old printers and such).  Do these old drivers ever get loaded if not used?

They do if they are printers, is the system connected to the Internet, or is it a stand-alone system? What is it needed for, could you put a new system in place and VM XP?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm happy to deconstruct the memory dump, might provide some insight, but with only 1 crash dump, it won't point out clearly where the issue is. As @Kilrah said, it's likely due to age more than anything.

They do if they are printers, is the system connected to the Internet, or is it a stand-alone system? What is it needed for, could you put a new system in place and VM XP?

I've tried that before. There's a problem with Windows XP machines (and XP VMs) being able to see Windows 10 machines. Apparently it's a bug they never worked out.

I'm wondering if using a restore point might be an easy way to resolve this issue.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:13 AM, kris44dad said:

There's a problem with Windows XP machines (and XP VMs) being able to see Windows 10 machines.

That's not something that was mentioned before, what does this relate to? If you're trying to access file shares on a Win10 machine from an XP one it's normal that wouldn't work, XP uses SMBv1 which has been considered insecure for a long while and thus disabled by default in Win10. 

We're on SMBv3 now. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

17 hours ago, Kilrah said:

That's not something that was mentioned before, what does this relate to? If you're trying to access file shares on a Win10 machine from an XP one it's normal that wouldn't work, XP uses SMBv1 which has been considered insecure for a long while and thus disabled by default in Win10. 

We're on SMBv3 now. 

You may have just solved a very old problem for me.   {Looking up enabling SMBv1 on Win 10.}

Would really recommend doing something a bit more secure than that.

I have a small linux server with samba running with all legacy compatibility so that both win10 and legacy machines can connect to it. If I want to swap files I dump them onto it from the w10 machine, then get them from the old one. That insecure share thus only holds the files needed while they are, and doesn't give full system access.

F@H

GPD Win 2