Half of my RAM randomly doesn't show up when booting.

the_storyteller

Half of my RAM randomly/sometimes doesn't show up when booting. When it doesn't show, the RAM is missing both in Windows, and in the BIOS.
I tried re-seating the ram sticks multiple times.
The memory is installed in A1 and B1 for dual channel operation.
The missing stick appears to always be the second stick, in slot B1.

My configuration:
RAM: Crutial Ballistix Gaming Memory - 32GB Kit, 2x16GB - ddr4-3600 1.35v UDIMM - BL2K16G36C16U4B
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4
CPU: AMD 5900x
PSU: Seasonic Focux PX-850

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would happen, and how I can fix this?

Many thanks!

Sounds like a dying ram slot on the mobo. But just in case have you tried each stick individually in both slots to see how it responds?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

@Mo5, thanks for the suggestion. When I tried only a single stick in B1, it always works. It's only when sticks are in A1 and B1 that the stick in B1 is sometimes undetected. Maybe it takes too long to detect B2, so it doesn't block until it's detected, and instead just starts with the single stick, or something like that. 

I tried putting the ram in slots A2 and B2, and the ram seems to always be detected from there. I don't believe there is much of a performance penalty for using A2/B2 instead of A1/B1, so I think I'll stick with that.