Can Sata II support this drive?

I'm currently on a project to revive an old laptop. I'll switch from HDD to SSD, whoever the SATA version is only SATA II.

I've been thinking of buying this SSD:

image.thumb.png.f662780f3bec54e272481e1e047d01f1.png

Will SATA II recognize the 4tb size? I know it won't be able to make use of all the speed, but will the capacity be recognized?

My system is 64 bits so that shouldn't be a problem on recognizing large drives.

Thanks!

SATA will work, whether the BIOS recognises the full size or not is unrelated and can't really know for sure.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Yes, it will work fine, but why such a massive drive for an old laptop? What is the specific model of your laptop?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea it will work fine on sata 2.

Some older systems have a drive limit, so what system is this? You can return the drive esaily if you need to though with amazon.

32 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

SATA will work, whether the BIOS recognises the full size or not is unrelated and can't really know for sure.

It's an Intel Core 2 Duo T660 in an Inspiron 1440. Do you think it can be recognized?

39 minutes ago, ClariceHatischvili said:

I'm currently on a project to revive an old laptop. I'll switch from HDD to SSD, whoever the SATA version is only SATA II.

I've been thinking of buying this SSD:

image.thumb.png.f662780f3bec54e272481e1e047d01f1.png

Will SATA II recognize the 4tb size? I know it won't be able to make use of all the speed, but will the capacity be recognized?

My system is 64 bits so that shouldn't be a problem on recognizing large drives.

Thanks!

It will be hard to tell for 100% certain because there are many factors such as your the model of your laptop, what motherboard BIOS version you're on, etc. For best chances, update your BIOS to the latest firmware version if it isn't on that already.

Given that it is an older laptop that could potentially still be using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI, you will be capped at 2TB at the maximum for your storage drive with legacy BIOS.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, ClariceHatischvili said:

It's an Intel Core 2 Duo T660 in an Inspiron 1440. Do you think it can be recognized?

Id guess there is a 2tib limit, or its pretty likely there is. 

Why so big of a ssd here? Id personally spend that money on a better laptop

Amazon is great with returns, so just test it your self.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yeah, unless you really need that much high speed storage (ex. scrubbing through large amounts of video, hosting your own media server, etc) at any given moment, cloud storage or a HDD/NAS may be a better solution for you. If you know that you are on a legacy BIOS then there's really no need to try it because it will be capped at 2TB, if you aren't sure or know that you have a UEFI BIOS then experiment (buy from Amazon or other retailers with an excellent return policy).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

15 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

It will be hard to tell for 100% certain because there are many factors such as your the model of your laptop, what motherboard BIOS version you're on, etc. For best chances, update your BIOS to the latest firmware version if it isn't on that already.

Given that it is an older laptop that could potentially still be using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI, you will be capped at 2TB at the maximum for your storage drive with legacy BIOS.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Yeah, unless you really need that much high speed storage (ex. scrubbing through large amounts of video, hosting your own media server, etc) at any given moment, cloud storage or a HDD/NAS may be a better solution for you. If you know that you are on a legacy BIOS then there's really no need to try it because it will be capped at 2TB, if you aren't sure or know that you have a UEFI BIOS then experiment (buy from Amazon or other retailers with an excellent return policy).

Apparently it's a legacy BIOS. I'll have to go with 2TB. Thanks a lot, you all! 

Just now, ClariceHatischvili said:

Apparently it's a legacy BIOS. I'll have to go with 2TB. Thanks a lot, you all! 

Is this the boot drive for your laptop? Legacy only affects the boot drive. If you want more storage you can also replace your cd/dvd drive with a ssd/hdd

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is this the boot drive for your laptop? Legacy only affects the boot drive. If you want more storage you can also replace your cd/dvd drive with a ssd/hdd

Yeah, I was intending to use it as boot the drive.