Need advice on an ATX PSU for a server.

jordan-ia
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

You can use sata extender cables if you want to fry your system :p.

But for real just get like a cheap seasonic focus plus modular psu or the corsair cx550m or something. Then you can buy some extra cables for those drives.

Hey there, Currently have a small nas system and i've run out of sata ports on my power supply, i have space in my case for 15 drives which will all be sata SSD's. Basically want to know if i should just use a bunch of sata extender cables (my current power supply has 4 sata connectors) or if i should just buy a better PSU with more connectors. I'd love to know if there are power supplies that prioritise sata connections and stuff since i have no GPU and no plans to ever have one.

CPU: i7-3770

Ram: 16 Gigs ddr3 1600

MOBO: Intel® Desktop Board DQ77MK

Current power supply: Antec vp400 pc

Dell h310 LSI 9211-8i raid card

5 noctua fans

1 cooling fan

SSDs: 3x patriot burst 480gb
           2x sandisk ultra 3 nand 500 gb

You can use sata extender cables if you want to fry your system :p.

But for real just get like a cheap seasonic focus plus modular psu or the corsair cx550m or something. Then you can buy some extra cables for those drives.

I think sata extender cables would be a good choice, ssds consume around 3-6w anyways so 6 x 15 = 90, and that i7 has decent power efficiency so i would expect it to not go over 100w under full load.

Though if you are gonna be putting hdds in the future id suggest upgrading to a 500w unit.

your system will problably draw around 200w full tilt so no need to upgrade the psu.

edit: dont put too much of these extenders in a chain, as said above it will problably fry your system or set it on fire

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think sata extender cables would be a good choice, ssds consume around 3-6w anyways so 6 x 15 = 90, and that i7 has decent power efficiency so i would expect it to not go over 100w under full load.

Though if you are gonna be putting hdds in the future id suggest upgrading to a 500w unit.

your system will problably draw around 200w full tilt so no need to upgrade the psu.

edit: dont put too much of these extenders in a chain, as said above it will problably fry your system or set it on fire

I can NOT recommend sata extenders. Sure the load is low BUT 99% of those things are made out of paper and glue so to say. They are HORRIBLE quality and will literally short and melt the plastic house causing well problems.

Yeah i was hesitant on the extender thing, it's not a high quality psu and it probably would be a decent idea to have something better. I have critical data on their for work and it stays on 24/7. I feel not good pulling 90 watts off what is basically a line designed for 50 watts.

So get a modular psu like the cx550m and then use like 6pin pcie to sata straight from the power supply?

3 minutes ago, jordan-ia said:

Yeah i was hesitant on the extender thing, it's not a high quality psu and it probably would be a decent idea to have something better. I have critical data on their for work and it stays on 24/7. I feel not good pulling 90 watts off what is basically a line designed for 50 watts.

So get a modular psu like the cx550m and then use like 6pin pcie to sata straight from the power supply?

Oh dear no. For sure best idea to NOT do any extension business.

As for the cx550 you just buy a couple more modular cables THAT ARE FOR THAT EXACT PSU and plug them in to it directly. However you won't have enough sata power ports with a cx550 (you'll be 3 short) so I recommend just stepping up and getting the fully modular seasonic focus.

I do hope you have a local backup of all your data always just as a good thing to do and then a off site (in the cloud with something like backblaze).

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh dear no. For sure best idea to NOT do any extension business.

As for the cx550 you just buy a couple more modular cables THAT ARE FOR THAT EXACT PSU and plug them in to it directly. However you won't have enough sata power ports with a cx550 (you'll be 3 short) so I recommend just stepping up and getting the fully modular seasonic focus.

I do hope you have a local backup of all your data always just as a good thing to do and then a off site (in the cloud with something like backblaze).

ok awesome, does the seasonic have 15 sata power or will i have to source connectors for that one also?

I don't have local backups unfortunately. But i do have a cloud sync with backblaze and the server runs truenas with ZFS and everything. The working directories are synced to google drive as well just in case it goes down and we can still work.

8 hours ago, jordan-ia said:

ok awesome, does the seasonic have 15 sata power or will i have to source connectors for that one also?

I don't have local backups unfortunately. But i do have a cloud sync with backblaze and the server runs truenas with ZFS and everything. The working directories are synced to google drive as well just in case it goes down and we can still work.

Good enough.

It does NOT come with enough cables for the drives BUT it can safely be equipped with enough. Make sure you buy the CORRECT cables made for the EXACT PSU.