New pc build won't reboot

Greetings to the community!

I 've just finished my first pc build with the following specs :

mobo : MSI b450 tomahawk max

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU : Zotac gtx 1060 amp! 3GB

m.2 SSD : Kingston 2000 (boot drive/windows)

SSD : WD blue

HDD : unknown

Everything works fine except the restart/reboot! When I select restart from Windows, the monitor goes to sleep mode but the whole system keeps working and the red CPU led lights up on the mobo. Exactly same thing if I select the exit and reboot option from the BIOS.

I have already tried

Changing windows power settings (fast start, windows power troubleshooting etc.

Clear CMOS as informed by the MSI support

Any help will be great! 

Thank you in advance!

47 minutes ago, Kaha Makate said:

Greetings to the community!

I 've just finished my first pc build with the following specs :

mobo : MSI b450 tomahawk max

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU : Zotac gtx 1060 amp! 3GB

m.2 SSD : Kingston 2000 (boot drive/windows)

SSD : WD blue

HDD : unknown

Everything works fine except the restart/reboot! When I select restart from Windows, the monitor goes to sleep mode but the whole system keeps working and the red CPU led lights up on the mobo. Exactly same thing if I select the exit and reboot option from the BIOS.

I have already tried

Changing windows power settings (fast start, windows power troubleshooting etc.

Clear CMOS as informed by the MSI support

Any help will be great! 

Thank you in advance!

I don’t know exactly where the problem is.  Most likely bios or windows, but I don’t know which one.  You’ve tried stuff for both it seems.  The next step windows side is to do some sort of reinstall.  There are a bunch of different sorts.  Bios side it’s reflash the bios with the most current bios.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know exactly where the problem is.  Most likely bios or windows, but I don’t know which one.  You’ve tried stuff for both it seems.  The next step windows side is to do some sort of reinstall.  There are a bunch of different sorts.  Bios side it’s reflash the bios with the most current bios.

Already flash updated to the latest BIOS, going for a new windows install now, but the red CPU led is the one that bothers me the most....

This looks like a BIOS problem. If issue continues after reinstalling Windows, you shall contact MSI support. Might be a faulty unit if it was like this from the beginning.

1 hour ago, RTX 3069 said:

This looks like a BIOS problem. If issue continues after reinstalling Windows, you shall contact MSI support. Might be a faulty unit if it was like this from the beginning.

Already in communication with MSI and awaiting for a reply! Thanks

1 hour ago, Mr.Cellkill said:

Sounds like a bent pin on the CPU or CPU power cable (CPU not getting proper power).

Ok, I will unplug and plug everything back in place. Either fix or no fix I ll post a response! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kaha Makate said:

Already flash updated to the latest BIOS, going for a new windows install now, but the red CPU led is the one that bothers me the most....

Could be hardware but it could also be just an incomplete boot which is pre windows.  If the cpu light didn’t go out after the bios update the chances it’s an actual hardware problem go up

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

57 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Could be hardware but it could also be just an incomplete boot which is pre windows.  If the cpu light didn’t go out after the bios update the chances it’s an actual hardware problem go up

Will check every connection from the beginning, thanks!

Guys I tried literally everything... Windows restart and bios save and reboot options doesn't restart my PC!

Waiting for MSI support, but there aren't much expectations from them...

Just now, Kaha Makate said:

Guys I tried literally everything... Windows restart and bios save and reboot options doesn't restart my PC!

Waiting for MSI support, but there aren't much expectations from them...

Well if you tried literally everything what can we do since there by definition can’t be any more things to try?

For what it’s worth I know you haven’t tried literally everything because there haven’t been any circus elephants reported missing in the news.  Not saying that would help, but “literally everything” covers a whole lot of ground. 

perhaps you mean everything mentioned so far in this thread.  A lot of them seem to be championing various possible hardware faults.  If this wasn’t a first build I would just go with that, but actual bad hardware is really kind of rare and a first build implies possible basic oopsies we may not even be thinking of.  One such that comes to my mind off hand is a lot of coolers come with protective clear plastic sheets over the cold plate to prevent scratches in packing that are easy to miss and not remove, causing massive thermal issues.  I still don’t know what is up but some sort of weird derp like that remains statistically more likely than an actual hardware fault.