Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with building a non-gaming PC for dad

Budget (including currency): $1000 CDN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Non gaming PC, probably a lot of browser tabs for youtube/streaming/stocks, along with office programs

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Will be building at the start of August. Not for gaming but looking for the ability to support at least 2 monitors at 1440p and probably 75hz?

Will need a tower and everything in it

Must have:

1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, WIFI 6 support and preferably in a smaller case, quiet

He wants to go with Ryzen (even though Intel has better options for this) so I'm looking at 3400G, or is it worth waiting for the 5600G?

The other option is to go with 3600 and pair it with a cheapo GPU (710 or 1030?)

Since the PC will be used for light workloads, will there even be a difference going up with better CPUs?

Also, a PCIe WI-FI Adapter should work better than MOBO with built in WIFI?

What are your thoughts?

Sample build I scrounged up: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QrXTkX

Why wifi 6 ?

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 16GB Crucial 3200MHZ CL14 , Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super ~1980Core, Windows 10

Not sure regarding your options but I always find such cases to be best for a slightly used or refurbished office PCs you can usually find super cheap, maybe with some extra ram and a decent SSD upgrade.

Answers to rest:

- He wants to go ryzen? Why? Does he know PC stuff or is it just something he read on the internet?

- Going with better GPU? nope, as long as it supports screens/resolutions you need you should be fine. However consider he might upgrade monitors later on to maybe 4k or something.

- PCIe WIFI vs MOBO is basically whatever you find cheaper. Usually WIFI is NOT a reason to pick a certain mobo. And the wifi module you picked seems overkill for such PC tbh.

For using 2 monitor i would go with the non apu ryzen like 3600 or something similar from intel

While using atleast gt 1030

10 minutes ago, Furcula said:

PCIe WI-FI Adapter should work better than MOBO with built in WIFI?

Depends on what motherboard and pcie card you want, it's pretty broad range of comparison really

Also why not use ethernet?

Remember to use high pass filter around 60 - 100hz on your vocal 

I'd wait for the 5600G or go for something from intel. The 3400G is old by modern standards(the CPU itself is from 2019 and the architecture comes from 2018) and not worth paying full price for. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/J4sbPV

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8pHv9N

If you want to go either one, this is what I'd go with for just basic office tasks, maybe upgrading to 32GB of RAM if you feel like it. If it were me doing it, I'd probably go with the Intel build because it's cheaper and can use that extra money for more RAM for more Chrome tabs. Also the WiFi card really doesn't make much of a difference, though having it built into the motherboard is convenient.

14 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

For using 2 monitor i would go with the non apu ryzen like 3600 or something similar from intel

While using atleast gt 1030

Depends on what motherboard and pcie card you want, it's pretty broad range of comparison really

Also why not use ethernet?

Why? Even a potato can run 2 displays no problem at this point.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why? Even a potato can run 2 displays no problem at this point.

Yeah but his requirements for 144hz and 75hz for whatever reason bcs this is "no gaming build" makes me think it's good choice 

Remember to use high pass filter around 60 - 100hz on your vocal 

6 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

Yeah but his requirements for 144hz and 75hz for whatever reason bcs this is "no gaming build" makes me think it's good choice 

1440p 75hz can literally be done by any current integrated graphics.

Just to cover some questions, the cost efficiency thing isn't really a main focus here.

Yes I know Intel has better options for this, yes I know that a lot of prebuilds would work as well. However, this is more for the building experience/bonding and Dad just really wants Ryzen for some reason so go figures. Cost efficiency is not a big deal here.

This is what he was thinking about buying if we weren't building one https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M75q-Gen-2/p/11TC1MTM7G2

He wants WIFI6 because where he'll be using the PC, there's no easy access to ethernet.

Up to 1440p and 144hz should be supported by HDMI2.0? I'm leaning towards waiting for 5600G due to the crappy state of the GPU market. And it seems like it will be hard to find a 710 or 1030 that has 2x HDMI outputs? Or I suppose DVI-I Dual Link can also support 1440p at 75hz? 

Question comes down to the performance between 5600G vs 3600 + 710/1030 in terms of what it will be used for. 5600G will probably perform better?

Also, someone mentioned that 3400G is outdated, yeah agreed there. But will there be a noticeable difference for his use case?

Thanks again

50 minutes ago, Furcula said:

Question comes down to the performance between 5600G vs 3600 + 710/1030 in terms of what it will be used for. 5600G will probably perform better?

Also, someone mentioned that 3400G is outdated, yeah agreed there. But will there be a noticeable difference for his use case?

The 5600G will probably perform slightly better than the 3600, and will perform a decent amount better than the 3400G. There probably won't be a difference for his use case, but in a few years there will probably be a noticeable difference. For the extra ~$50, you're getting another year or two of use of this computer before needing to swap out the CPU and motherboard. 

50 minutes ago, Furcula said:

Up to 1440p and 144hz should be supported by HDMI2.0? I'm leaning towards waiting for 5600G due to the crappy state of the GPU market. And it seems like it will be hard to find a 710 or 1030 that has 2x HDMI outputs? Or I suppose DVI-I Dual Link can also support 1440p at 75hz? 

HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 should be more than enough for 1440p 144Hz, and finding an AM4 mobo that has both is not hard at all. You just need to be sure that the board currently has support for the 5600G. The board I would go for would be the Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI). It also has BIOS flashback so you don't have to worry about the 5600G not being supported out of the box.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 5600G will probably perform slightly better than the 3600, and will perform a decent amount better than the 3400G. There probably won't be a difference for his use case, but in a few years there will probably be a noticeable difference. For the extra ~$50, you're getting another year or two of use of this computer before needing to swap out the CPU and motherboard. 

HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 should be more than enough for 1440p 144Hz, and finding an AM4 mobo that has both is not hard at all. You just need to be sure that the board currently has support for the 5600G. The board I would go for would be the Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI). It also has BIOS flashback so you don't have to worry about the 5600G not being supported out of the box.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I guess the other question I have is, is it worth going up to Ryzen 7 CPUs? Like the 5700G or 5800X/3700X/3800X etc? Will the 8 cores be meaningful in anyway?

3 hours ago, Furcula said:

Thank you, that's very helpful. I guess the other question I have is, is it worth going up to Ryzen 7 CPUs? Like the 5700G or 5800X/3700X/3800X etc? Will the 8 cores be meaningful in anyway?

Probably not. Applications are trending to use more cores, but basic Chrome/Excel rarely take advantage of more than 2 cores each right now, so you could probably get by with a quad core chip with no issues for the next 2-3 year. The 6 cores from the 5600G would give you the (dare I say) future proof-ness so you probably won't have to upgrade for the next 5-6 years, maybe longer. By the time you'll actually need 8 cores, single core performance will have advanced so much that you'll want to upgrade the 5700G anyway.