New Build Help (Gaming and Work) Best Bang for My Buck

landoGai

Hi all,

Budget (including currency):  $1,600 - $1,750 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily for gaming and work. I play a little bit of everything (with a bit of emulation as well) and my work has me using Adobe CC.

Other details: Currently using using 2 monitors, both BenQ. One 27' (1440p) and one 24' (1080p). Plan on using my old 1050ti Gaming X until the GPU world has calmed down a bit. WiFi is a must since I'm quite far from my router. Also want to keep it cool and quiet without an AIO if possible.

I plan on making the purchase within the next week or so and I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. If I can do the same (or more) for less, I'm all for it.

Here's what I've got so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d93qZZ

Figure I can use Flashback on the bios so it can support the 5800x.

Additional Questions:

• Kinda want a NZXT 510 but I'm worried it might get too hot in there. (If I go this route I really won't need to worry about any RGB fans). Any recommendations on similar cases? USB-C front IO would be great.
  • Is the power supply too much? I plan on upgrading to a 3060, 3070 or a 3080 in the future.
  • I'm a bit worried about the LAN adapter issues I've been hearing about on the TUF Gaming x570 Pro. Would the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon be a sufficient replacement? Is there a huge difference in performance between X570 and B550 chipsets?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, landoGai said:

Kinda want a NZXT 510

No you don't. Garbage case. It's an easy bake oven. Keep the Corsair 4000D in your parts list.

15 minutes ago, landoGai said:

Is the power supply too much?

No. It's fine.

16 minutes ago, landoGai said:
  • Is there a huge difference in performance between X570 and B550 chipsets?

The only real difference is that B550 is only PCIe 4.0 on the CPU lanes, while X570 is PCIe 4.0 on both the CPU and chipset lanes. Even with B550, that's enough for x16 graphics card slot and one M.2 x4. You've got PCIe 3.0 storage in your build anyways.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

34 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No you don't. Garbage case. It's an easy bake oven. Keep the Corsair 4000D in your parts list.

No. It's fine.

The only real difference is that B550 is only PCIe 4.0 on the CPU lanes, while X570 is PCIe 4.0 on both the CPU and chipset lanes. Even with B550, that's enough for x16 graphics card slot and one M.2 x4. You've got PCIe 3.0 storage in your build anyways.

Thanks for the advice!

I was also thinking of maybe getting the NH-U12S instead. Just realized the D15S it might block my RAM a bit...

How's it working out for you? Notice any temp problems?

So either the X570 or B550 would be fine?

The U12S is fine, especially if you undervolt your CPU, which you should. The PBO2 curve optimizer on Zen 3 is awesome. If you really want to push things by upping the PBO limits, though, you're going to need something better. There's also the U12A. It unfortunately isn't available in a chromax.black version yet, but it's a far superior cooler.

B550 or X570 is fine. Just make sure it's a good board with good VRMs either way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

10 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

The U12S is fine, especially if you undervolt your CPU, which you should. The PBO2 curve optimizer on Zen 3 is awesome. If you really want to push things by upping the PBO limits, though, you're going to need something better. There's also the U12A. It unfortunately isn't available in a chromax.black version yet, but it's a far superior cooler.

B550 or X570 is fine. Just make sure it's a good board with good VRMs either way.

Got it, thanks!

What if I throw another fan onto the U12S? Would that help bring it closer between the D15S and U12A?

2 minutes ago, landoGai said:

Got it, thanks!

What if I throw another fan onto the U12S? Would that help bring it closer between the D15S and U12A?

It'll help, but the main difference is the heatsink design. Fan isn't going to fix that. I have a second fan on mine, though, FWIW.

10 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

It'll help, but the main difference is the heatsink design. Fan isn't going to fix that. I have a second fan on mine, though, FWIW.

Does it make a noticeable difference in temps?
I'm guessing you just connect um to the same port with a Y-splitter?

27 minutes ago, landoGai said:

Does it make a noticeable difference in temps?
I'm guessing you just connect um to the same port with a Y-splitter?

Probably only a few degrees max. I can't say from personal experience, because I installed two fans from the start. And, yes, you'd just use a Y-splitter to connect them both to same CPU fan header.