Looking for a gaming laptop with a good battery life for uni

At the the moment I'm looking for a new gaming laptop for my freshman year of uni for comp sci/engi with a 6-12 hour battery life, I currently found three laptops with decent specs for the price.

Does anyone recommend any one of these laptops for their battery life? If so, whats your experience with the laptop?

If not, do you have any recommendations on a laptop with a good battery life and a good CPU/16gb Ram (I don't care if the GPU is an RTX or GTX card).

Lastly, my budget is just under $1,700 USD. I would prefer staying below the $1,500 price point to save a couple hundred bucks for uni.

Gaming laptop with good battery life? Funny joke...

Do you actually need a powerful dGPU in a portable package? If not, just stick with a Ryzen APU-based laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Gaming laptop with good battery life? Funny joke...

Do you actually need a powerful dGPU in a portable package? If not, just stick with a Ryzen APU-based laptop.

Any recommendation on a ryzen APU laptop?  

12 minutes ago, Alexmuffinton said:

Any recommendation on a ryzen APU laptop?  

Thinkpad X13, T14(s), P14s. Tons of other models, both from Lenovo and others.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Alexmuffinton said:

6-12 hour battery life

Depends on what u do with it...6 hrs is possible but 12 hrs...nope

If weight isn't a factor, Legion 5 Pro.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I didn't buy quite as high of spec, but I just picked-up an Asus ROG G14 with the 4800HS and GTX 1650 about a week ago. When not gaming, I realistically do get about 10 hours when doing light web browsing/a little YouTube. It's a great little laptop and built well. The screen is pretty bright and the processor is exceptionally fast and blew me away in a laptop; I have a Ryzen 2700X in my desktop and the 4800HS actually scores better in Passmark testing. The fans are quite noticeable in gaming but it is to be expected, in "silent" mode it is really very quiet. The speakers sound great to my ears, though I am not familiar with newer laptops so they may be about expected at this price point. The trackpad is accurate with no deadness with small finger movements, the keyboard feels pretty good too although I don't know what kind of mechanism it uses, but there's essentially zero deck flex.

Full disclosure: I did utilize the one ram slot to get another 8gb in there to get it to 16gb with dual-channel operation, but that job was super easy if you're confident doing the work yourself. 8GB of 3200mhz Crucial RAM was all of $69 on Amazon. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

You could also have a look at the Omen 15 2021 version which has a 3060 and Ryzen 5 5600H, it may not be the best of the best but apparently it has good battery life. Might just do the trick for you and save you a couple bucks.

18 hours ago, sgarg0310 said:

but apparently it has good battery life

70Wh vs 80Wh in Legion?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128