lga 2066 waterblocks work with lga 2011 cpu?

Need a new waterblock for my i7 5960x cause i spent 1k on this thing and we're using it till it dies dammit!

I cannot find x99/lga 2011 waterblocks for a decent price so I ask: Can I mount a 2066 block on my x99 board? I would assume that yes, I could assuming that the screws are in the same location, but idk...

1 minute ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

Need a new waterblock for my i7 5960x cause i spent 1k on this thing and we're using it till it dies dammit!

I cannot find x99/lga 2011 waterblocks for a decent price so I ask: Can I mount a 2066 block on my x99 board? I would assume that yes, I could assuming that the screws are in the same location, but idk...

I don’t know.  It sounds like it could need some fairly esoteric research though.  What matters is the layout of the holes and the height of the ihs.  There is also where under the ihs the die sits, but it can be less important if the ihs does a good job.  The requirements are extremely precise though.  To a couple thou for the ihs height I suspect.  Such numbers should be recorded somewhere.  You could always get out a micrometer and check I guess.  You’ll also likely have to use a torque wrench rather than relying on spring screws. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You could always get out a micrometer and check I guess.  You’ll also likely have to use a torque wrench rather than relying on spring screws. 

See, this is what im trying to avoid. I'm hoping some other idiot like me is on here and tried the same thing lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 7:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know.  It sounds like it could need some fairly esoteric research though.  What matters is the layout of the holes and the height of the ihs.  There is also where under the ihs the die sits, but it can be less important if the ihs does a good job.  The requirements are extremely precise though.  To a couple thou for the ihs height I suspect.  Such numbers should be recorded somewhere.  You could always get out a micrometer and check I guess.  You’ll also likely have to use a torque wrench rather than relying on spring screws. 

We said fuck it and went for it.

Screws were in the exact same spot. It’s been a week and we haven’t blown up yet! Operative word being: yet

5 hours ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

We said fuck it and went for it.

Screws were in the exact same spot. It’s been a week and we haven’t blown up yet! Operative word being: yet

The issue for height would be temps.  Paste can absorb some height difference but if paste has to be too thick it doesn’t always work well.  The big one is if it’s too low. If your temps are OK you’re basically good though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.