Question on older system........chrome cpu usage went to 95%

Hello Forums,

Quick question, i have a older rig that i just use to internet research and no gaming.  Its a 4770k OCed to 4.6 stable.  Been running fine for years.  After a resent update, running chrome now takes up a ton of cpu usage.  Has anyone had a issue with this?  To the point where the browser will actually hang.  Never had a problem before.  16gb ram.  dual sata 3 ssd in raid 0.  Just wondering how this occurred.  

Thanks

Any Chrome browser extensions installed?? Try removing them. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

12 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

Hello Forums,

Quick question, i have a older rig that i just use to internet research and no gaming.  Its a 4770k OCed to 4.6 stable.  Been running fine for years.  After a resent update, running chrome now takes up a ton of cpu usage.  Has anyone had a issue with this?  To the point where the browser will actually hang.  Never had a problem before.  16gb ram.  dual sata 3 ssd in raid 0.  Just wondering how this occurred.  

Thanks

This has happened to me many times while using Chrome, don't worry it is a relatively easy fix.

Get rid of any Chrome apps/extensions that you may have installed (only keep ones that you absolutely need). Next, clear your browser cache/cookies in Chrome settings. Also, make sure your Chrome software is on the latest version (I've seen my browser run extremely slowly after awhile without having the latest version running).

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

I'd say just use a lighter browser such as Edge or Firefox.

If you don't mind the UI differences and are fine without using Chrome-specific apps/extensions, I would personally recommend going to Microsoft Edge as it is built-in with Windows 10. If you are having performance issues in Edge also, its likely going to come down to a software optimization issue (ex. too many background processes, virus/malware that may have gotten onto your PC, etc).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Remove any extensions. If that doesn't help then you should completely remove and reinstall Chrome. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

i have removed all extensions  For some reason during the day to day, the gpu process will peg.  I ran a log and found that right before the hang, gpu usage spiked, under a chrome process, and gpu power consumption spiked.  When I TSed it and logically used the iGPU today.........no more hangs.   Only running 1080.  was running 1440p.  Seems to be doing fine now.  

So I am torn.  Is my old video card going out?  evga 760 running ~24/7 for 7 years.  

Interesting thing, is now that i am running on the iGPU and lower resolution, cpu usage running YouTube is only around 25%!  Can anyone explain that?  Does it scale usage based on resources?  Like did it figure out that my gpu was less and therefore modified its cpu/gpu load?  Just throwing it out there

Thanks again everyone

15 hours ago, Longbow1 said:

i have removed all extensions  For some reason during the day to day, the gpu process will peg.  I ran a log and found that right before the hang, gpu usage spiked, under a chrome process, and gpu power consumption spiked.  When I TSed it and logically used the iGPU today.........no more hangs.   Only running 1080.  was running 1440p.  Seems to be doing fine now.  

So I am torn.  Is my old video card going out?  evga 760 running ~24/7 for 7 years.  

Interesting thing, is now that i am running on the iGPU and lower resolution, cpu usage running YouTube is only around 25%!  Can anyone explain that?  Does it scale usage based on resources?  Like did it figure out that my gpu was less and therefore modified its cpu/gpu load?  Just throwing it out there

Thanks again everyone

I would suggest removing the existing GPU drivers on your system with Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) and then installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. Most processors and graphics cards will run at higher clock speeds when the load on them increases, the integrated GPU has its own usage percentages in task manager (listed under the "Performance" tab) which is not to be confused with the CPU usage. Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome settings, I would recommend leaving it enabled for a better experience and lower usage on the CPU?

Also, if you're looking to get more performance out of your graphics card or integrated GPU then it may be worth adjusting the options in the graphics control panel by right-clicking on the desktop screen (not likely to make a huge difference, if this is a desktop PC then the slightly higher power consumption isn't as much of a problem like on laptops where you're running off a battery). 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch