why have the temps gone down so much

DarthBudgie

i just had to rebuild my current pc meaning i had to take off my aio cooler

and i had to repaste it then it was fine normal temps but it would still thermal throttle in aida64 

so my pc broke again so i had to rebuild it a 2nd time and when i did that  i repasted it the same way i think with even less paste then before

and now the cpu is staying 58 max underload running at constant 4.6ghz 

i7 10700 

power limit removed

bored

Msi z490 a pro

Cooler mounts can be a bit random.  If you’ve got a really flat ihs and cold plate less paste is needed.  It’s possible as well that even with less paste you did a better job this time.  It could also be that something is keeping the cpu from running at full speed so it’s just not making as much heat.  Case airflow may also have somehow improved.  So three possibilities to mix and match between.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Better mount
Less space in-between the cooler and cpu
Power draw isn't normal
Better case airflow

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If your absolutely sure it is running at the same performance, likely the cooler is mounted better. 58c vs throttling means it would have had to have been mounted extremely bad. Potentially a small piece of debris was between the cooler and CPU.

Otherwise I'd assume voltage or LLC was not stock when you were throttling. Those would affect temps even at the same performance, with a properly mounted cooler.

A bunch of youtubers have shown a bit extra thermal paste is significantly better than not enough, so likely it wasn't because you used to much before. You could empty the tube on a CPU and the biggest problem would be the mess 🤣

Mounting pressure…

i mean so far i didnt mount a cooler wrong, but ive always been ready to reseat should i get weird temps after mounting.

"pro tip": noctua coolers are incredibly easy to install, for Ryzen at least. I didnt have any real issues with the stock cooler either but it is slightly more difficult, 4 screws instead of 2, and the screws also dont give as much feedback on the stock cooler.

Also despite anyone else's experience apparently , the noctua cooler sticks to the cpu like its glued with super glue, wheras the stock cooler has always been very easy to remove, just a slight wiggle and its off, which the same wiggle doesnt  get u anywhere with a noctua… 

Still prefer the noctua way, its just more easy overall.

9 hours ago, CryingWimp said:

You could empty the tube on a CPU and the biggest problem would be the mess 🤣

ya, maybe, but then again, not enough mounting pressure would make it worse because  the paste acts as an insulator in this case, preventing heat transfer even more.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity