Starting to worry about clearance please help.

Caleb2W

I’m about to start buying the pieces for my first build but I’m starting to read problems with clearance with the Corsair 4000d airflow and a 280mm on top and it hitting the ram. I just bought the Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32g because it was on sale but now I’m reading that it hits. So I thought let’s just go down to a 240mm and not worry about it but apparently the cpu I’m getting i9 10850k runs pretty hot and it recommends a 280mm or more so I’m at the point I either return the ram or pick a different case. I cared about rgb when I first started putting this together but I’m beginning to not care lol this is my build so far

CPU: i9 10850k

MB: msi z490 edge WiFi 

SSD: Samsung 970 evo m.2 2TB 

AIO: corsair H115i elite

power: corsair 850w

case: corsair 4000D airflow

GPU: Rtx 2080 8GB

if anyone had some recommendation I greatly appreciate thanks!!

30 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

I’m about to start buying the pieces for my first build but I’m starting to read problems with clearance with the Corsair 4000d airflow and a 280mm on top and it hitting the ram. I just bought the Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32g because it was on sale but now I’m reading that it hits. So I thought let’s just go down to a 240mm and not worry about it but apparently the cpu I’m getting i9 10850k runs pretty hot and it recommends a 280mm or more so I’m at the point I either return the ram or pick a different case. I cared about rgb when I first started putting this together but I’m beginning to not care lol this is my build so far

CPU: i9 10850k

MB: msi z490 edge WiFi 

SSD: Samsung 970 evo m.2 2TB 

AIO: corsair H115i elite

power: corsair 850w

case: corsair 4000D airflow

GPU: Rtx 2080 8GB

if anyone had some recommendation I greatly appreciate thanks!!

The problem I’m seeing here is the hitting would be a factor of rad thickness rather than size 140mm rads tend to be thinned because 140mm fans don’t have as much static pressure so I suspect a 280 might actually work better.  It’s often a question of rad+fan though for thickness so if you just need a tiny bit of space thin fans could work for you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem I’m seeing here is the hitting would be a factor of rad thickness rather than size 140mm rads tend to be thinned because 140mm fans don’t have as much static pressure so I suspect a 280 might actually work better.  It’s often a question of rad+fan though for thickness so if you just need a tiny bit of space thin fans could work for you.

So go with the 280 but find thinner fans? I’m wanting it mounted on the top as an exhaust with the 3 120 fans on the front as intake 

8 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

So go with the 280 but find thinner fans? I’m wanting it mounted on the top as an exhaust with the 3 120 fans on the front as intake 

Depends on the situation and what the particular impingement is.  It’s doubtful that low profile memory would help if it’s a problem of it hitting the memory.  It’s the side not the top that is impinging.  Where exactly a company puts ram on a motherboard though isnt pat of atx so it can vary a bit as well.  Could be some boards have a problem and some don’t.  280 rads tend to be thinner but it’s not hard and fast.  There are some awful thick 240s though.  Fan height is a lot more specific.  Standard fan thickness is 25mm but 20mm, 15mm and 10 mm are made.  Each fan will have a different static pressure though and if you don’t have enough static pressure to pus through the rad the air will at least partially “bounce off” and there won’t be any cooling at all.  As a general rule AIOs are overkill for what they’re being put on so even if you compromised the function of the radiator it still might be enough.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on the situation and what the particular impingement is.  It’s doubtful that low profile memory would help if it’s a problem of it hitting the memory.  It’s the side not the top that is impinging.  Where exactly a company puts ram on a motherboard though isnt pat of atx so it can vary a bit as well.  Could be some boards have a problem and some don’t.

See that’s the problem lol I’m worried about buying all this for it to not work. I’m just going to have to find a bigger case I was just trying to get a decent deal since the Corsair 4000x comes with 3 Corsair fans.

7 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

See that’s the problem lol I’m worried about buying all this for it to not work. I’m just going to have to find a bigger case I was just trying to get a decent deal since the Corsair 4000x comes with 3 Corsair fans.

There are a lot of people building computers in the world. Someone or other will have tried various configurations. Just vulture around with Google and see if you can find examples I guess.  The less slop there is the more unknown it is whether something will fit or not.  If you get something and it doesn’t fit you can always return it I guess. 

29 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

Just stick the AIO in the front if you have any concerns. That case fits a 280mm in the front. Just have it as your intake.

Having said that, on Corsair website it says: Plenty of room for a roof radiator and fans without contacting your high-end memory modules.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011200-WW

Just now, lee32uk said:

Just stick the AIO in the front if you have any concerns. That case fits a 280mm in the front. Just have it as your intake.

Well this is where building my first pc has drove me nuts with all this research lol I’ve read it’s bad to have it as intake because you are just pulling in hot air or having the tubes be at the top can create air pockets lol What’s your thoughts?

Just now, Caleb2W said:

Well this is where building my first pc has drove me nuts with all this research lol I’ve read it’s bad to have it as intake because you are just pulling in hot air or having the tubes be at the top can create air pockets lol What’s your thoughts?

I did a quick edit above.

It is fine to put it in the front. The temps won't be any worse. Just mount it with the tubes at the bottom for optimal performance. I am sure you have seen the Gamers Nexus video on AIO mounting ?

7 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

There are levels of bad.  Is it great? No, but that doesn’t mean it will matter much.  That cpu can get really hot if it needs a lot of OC, but if you don’t run it at 200+w it won’t put out 200+w of heat either, and the water won’t heat up much in the first place.

Edited by Bombastinator

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I did a quick edit above.

It is fine to put it in the front. The temps won't be any worse. Just mount it with the tubes at the bottom for optimal performance. I am sure you have seen the Gamers Nexus video on AIO mounting ?

No but I’ll definitely watch this! Thank you! I’m just trying to make sure everything will work perfectly before I start building lol

There are levels of bad.  Is it great? No, but that doesn’t mean it will matter much.  That cpu can get really hot if it needs a lot of OC, but if you don’t run it at 200+w it won’t put out 200+w of heat either, and the water won’t heat up much in the first place.

I don’t plan on running this thru the ropes I mostly plan to play some games or videos I’m trying to have a beast of a pc for battle field. I have a prebuild now with a 2080 I plan to just move over to this one 

5 minutes ago, Caleb2W said:

I don’t plan on running this thru the ropes I mostly plan to play some games or videos I’m trying to have a beast of a pc for battle field. I have a prebuild now with a 2080 I plan to just move over to this one 

Front rad can create issues, but they mostly come up if there are also other airflow problems to start with.

Front rad can create issues, but they mostly come up if there are also other airflow problems to start with.

What issues ?

So get the Corsair 4000D airflow and I’ll put a 360mm on the front and use like 3 120s for exhaust out the top and back

1 hour ago, Caleb2W said:

So get the Corsair 4000D airflow and I’ll put a 360mm on the front and use like 3 120s for exhaust out the top and back

13 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What issues ?

Were mentioned. If the radiator transfers enough heat into the air it can be enough to affect an already marginal situation.  Usually doesn’t though.  

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Were mentioned. If the radiator transfers enough heat into the air it can be enough to affect an already marginal situation.  Usually doesn’t though.  

Not according to the video I posted above. In fact Kyle saw lower cpu temps with an open fan design gpu and front mounted rad. The gpu temps were pretty much the same for both.

45 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Not according to the video I posted above. In fact Kyle saw lower cpu temps with an open fan design gpu and front mounted rad. The gpu temps were pretty much the same for both.

Yes according to that video.  I said it requires an extremely hot and efficient AIO  and a Marginal cooling situation to do anything at all.