what if amd and nivida decided stopp selling gpus directly and started selling gpus on prebuilt system only to prevent cryptomminer buying all gpus

aqarwaen29

what if amd and nivida decided stopp selling gpus directly and started selling gpus on prebuilt system only to prevent cryptomminer buying all gpus.

how would u react if amd or nivida made such move and where unable anymore buy only buy new gpu for your computer from shop.

Because they would lose 90%+ of their consumer sales for no reason it's not going to happen. Might as well implement photo id verification to limit it to 1 card per household per year or something equally as bad to stop scalpers too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Rule 1 of business, sell your product to as many people as possible for as much as possible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, aqarwaen29 said:

what if amd and nivida decided stopp selling gpus directly and started selling gpus on prebuilt system only to prevent cryptomminer buying all gpus.

1. They would never do that. AMD and NVidia's entire goal is to make money. Selling the cards individually gets them a lot of money.

2. Then prebuilts would be out of stock everywhere.

2 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

how would u react if amd or nivida made such move and where unable anymore buy only buy new gpu for your computer from shop.

I would not care in the slightest.

elephants

12 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

Does anyone know when the "Don Draper Laughing" meme occurs during the  show? : madmen

It makes absolutely no sense from a business stand point. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

15 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

cryptomminer buying all gpus.

Do you have a source for this? I'm curious where you assume crypto miners are getting 100% of GPUs currently.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

It's amazing that people still don't get it ; companies are there to make money, they couldn't care less who buys the product. With the GPUs, they implement surface level things to make sure they have good PR and don't get too much shit from angry gamers, and that's it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

In the HIGHLY unlikely event this ever happened, u'd just see a surge in people opening up small online ebay/amazon businesses with the sole purpose of buying up prebuilds, striping them down and selling parts individually.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Do you like building computers?

This is how you can no longer build computers, ever.  

24 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

I would be even more mad that I couldn't buy just a GPU than I am that I can't buy one at all at the moment.

2 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

In the HIGHLY unlikely event this ever happened, u'd just see a surge in people opening up small online ebay/amazon businesses with the sole purpose of buying up prebuilds, striping them down and selling parts individually.

Scalping 2.0 - complete PC shortage. I'd honestly be a bit surprised if this isn't a thing yet.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

*Ringring*

"Hey Jensen? This is Lisa speaking."

"Oh, hi Lisa, long time since we've spoken. Congratulations on releasing FSR. Thanks for supporting our products with it as well. You guys are always so generous."

"You're welcome, Jensen. Listen, I have a proposal for you: Gamers are still really angry that they can't get any of our GPUs. Now both you and I know that gamers are the most powerful and important demographic on the planet. I mean, nobody can propel themselves into such a pants-shitting rage as fast and efficiently as them, so we need to do something to appease them, or I fear for our future."

"Sure, Lisa, I completely agree with you. The gamers must be appeased."

"Glad we're on the same page, Jensen. Anyway, my proposal to solve this problem is the following: What if we stop selling GPUs for retail customers?"

"Hm, sounds like a bold move, Lisa. You have my curiosity. Continue."

"Well, consider the following: We only sell GPUs to system Integrators from now on. That would mean that miners and scalpers wouldn't be able to just buy our GPUs anymore, they would have to buy the entire system."

"Oh Lisa, you're so smart. And I agree with you, we should totally try to artificially shrink the market. I'm tired of seeing all our stock selling out as quickly as we can produce it. I can't even spend all that money we're making on leather jackets anymore because there's a leather shortage ever since I started buying them all with our massive profits."

"Glad we're in agreement. Let's do it. I'm sure miners and scalpers won't just start buying all those prebuilts and still make a profit by using them for mining and reselling it later, that surely won't happen."

"It's a deal then, Lisa. It's good doing business with you."

"Thanks, I feel the same about doing business with you, Jensen."

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

It would be a good move if Nvidia was family business making cake or custom watches for small community of people

But the reality is they're more than happy when their products got sold literally less than second to people

Whether be scalpers, miner, or just normal buyers

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Ok, so assumptionon A on OPs behalf: this is true and miners buy all these GPUs.

Then logical assumption B is they will also buy all these prebuilts - for basically a very similar price or slightly more or less, doesnt matter its literally just peanuts to them.

Conclusion: OP did not think this through at all and this proposal would make it worse for everyone, except: miners 🤦

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

*snip*

Good point, I think OP isn't aware that some miners started buying gaming laptops because they couldn't get their hands on GPUs at some point ... so getting a few pre-builds to harvest the GPU isn't out of the question.

EDIT
not joking ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Zip up!  Your age is showing!  

No way a company is going to intentionally lose sales.  Unless its for a social justice reason lol. 

FYI, those same companies are selling miner direct.  Just google it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

HAHA NO

unless...

oh wait prebuilts do this already...

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Good point, I think OP isn't aware that some miners started buying gaming laptops because they couldn't get their hands on GPUs at some point ... so getting a few pre-builds to harvest the GPU isn't out of the question.

Yup, I mean this is all very hypothetical anyways, because reality is this:

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

FYI, those same companies are selling miner direct.  Just google it.

The "big" miners arent buying with "bots" or from "scalpers" they're buying directly from Nvidia (AMD) in bulk, I guess they would even get a nice discount as it cuts out pesky "retailers". 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The "big" miners arent buying with "bots" or from "scalpers" they're buying directly from Nvidia (AMD) in bulk, I guess they would even get a nice discount as it cuts out pesky "retailers". 

Yup, and its NOT just the manufacturers.  Its also the third party as well.  Heck there are articles of MXM GPU's going direct to miners

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, aqarwaen29 said:

That wouldn't work because cryptominers would just buy prebuilt PC's. And if miners bought up prebuilts PC's they would buy up gaming laptops too, iirc MSI promoted their gaming laptops for cryptomining.

I'd like to see proof that miners are buying all of the GPU's, the shortage isn't just from mining, the pandemic has caused there to be a shortage of semiconductors and components, and the semiconductor shortage is so bad car manufacturers can't even make cars, so it isn't just mining.

54 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd like to see proof that miners are buying all of the GPU's, the shortage isn't just from mining, the pandemic has caused there to be a shortage of semiconductors and components, and the semiconductor shortage is so bad car manufacturers can't even make cars, so it isn't just mining.

i dont know the numbers but i think in steam surveys 3070 / 3080 already caught up with 1080/ti… or its at least close, so that means they're selling plenty to "gamers" the real issue is there arent any ~200-300$ bracket cards, which the majority would buy … and thats partly on Nvidia and AMD, they just realistically didnt release or even plan for such a card… 3060 could be it I guess, but they didnt really position it like that, of course partly an issue due to scalping etc, its just a reality imo, either you buy high end, or at least pay high end, or you buy ancient, long outdated ones. 

Basically what im saying the price gaps between high end - mid range and nonexisting low end was too small from the get go.

At least thats my impression.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Gamers being entitled about gpus: post 1736292

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i dont know the numbers but i think in steam surveys 3070 / 3080 already caught up with 1080/ti… or its at least close, so that means they're selling plenty to "gamers" the real issue is there arent any ~200-300$ bracket cards, which the majority would buy … and thats partly on Nvidia and AMD, they just realistically didnt release or even plan for such a card… 3060 could be it I guess, but they didnt really position it like that, of course partly an issue due to scalping etc, its just a reality imo, either you buy high end, or at least pay high end, or you buy ancient, long outdated ones. 

Basically what im saying the price gaps between high end - mid range and nonexisting low end was too small from the get go.

At least thats my impression.

Yeah I agree the price gap between high end and mid range is too small, that has been a problem that has gotten worse since the RTX 2000 series as Nvidia moves their product stack into higher price tiers, the MSRP of a 2080 was $699 which was the same as a 1080Ti. For AMD the RX 5700 was $349, now they don't have anything in that price bracket with the 6700XT being $479. 

Everyday I wish f***ing cypto would crash down and price these miners out the market.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:53 AM, Amias said:

Everyday I wish f***ing cypto would crash down and price these miners out the market.

FOR THE LAST GOD DAMN TIME:

Its just not miners and crypto. there is a industry wide shortage of dram at the chip level, a work crisis in some areas, insane value over previous generations, its a insane mix of things 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 6/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, Amias said:

Crypto has crashed. Bitcoin was up to over $60K earlier this year, now its just above $31K. Id say thats a crash. While Bitcoin isn't mined on GPU's, it sets the tone for all other crypto. The thing is we also have a general chip shortage, a workers shortage and in some cases a resource shortage. If I recall Taiwan was having a drought and so TSMC was not able to have its Fab up to full production.  Keep in mind GPU's are not the only thing these chip fabs produce. 

Then capitalism kicked in and scalpers figured out they could make tons of money buying all the  GPU's and sell them for massive profit. This practice is not illegal, as long as its not a vital good or service. GPU's are not really a vital good, at least not gaming cards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.