PC sometimes boots to windows, sometimes doesn't. Seemingly at random

Temsah

Hello, new account here.

So the title pretty much sums up my problem. My PC randomly started to have issues with turning on. One day I press the power button and everything is perfect, another it refuses to turn on at all. I flip the PSU power button off, letting my PC drain of power completely before setting it back on, wait a few minutes and it runs. Lately this solution has been succeeding less and less with longer wait times.

I tried unplugging and reseating all the cables I could think of with no obvious effect. But what's messing with my head is the randomness of it all. There seems not one thing or the other is causing the issue and when the PC does turn on, it runs with no issues regardless for how long. It's just that turning the device has become a question of to be or not to be at this point.

Where should I check for the problem ? and is this something that's gonna get worse and start hurting any hardware in the future ?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3400g

GPU: - 

MOBO: ASROCK b450m steel legend

RAM: Team force dual 8GB

SSD: KINGSTON 256GB

PSU: Seasonic S12 80+ bronze 600watt

had similar problem, swiched the battery on motherboard, and after trying several times the machine POSTed after quarter of an hour and seems fine.

I edit my posts more often than not

Where can I find that battery ?

2 minutes ago, Temsah said:

Where can I find that battery ?

Almost anywhere its a CR2032

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

image.png.f4037d8ab1b7ed375cc18466ef3d0282.png

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

Almost anywhere its a CR2032

Yeah CR2032

so is this the source of the problem that's causing that weird behaviour ?

Just now, Temsah said:

so is this the source of the problem that's causing that weird behaviour ?

If I understood the problem, then the battery swap would be one of the solutions.

Battery does cost not too much, so worth a try imo...

I thought MOBO parts are hardwired into it, is it safe to remove the battery ? will  it mess up my PC settings or BIOS etc. ?

Just now, Temsah said:

I thought MOBO parts are hardwired into it, is it safe to remove the battery ? will  it mess up my PC settings or BIOS etc. ?

BIOS settings will reset most likely after removing the battery. Otherwise no harm.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

BIOS settings will reset most likely after removing the battery. Otherwise no harm.

Worth a try , tyvm 

do you just turn your computer off and it still has a connection to electricity? or do you turn off your computer and switch the power off on your multiple connector strip?

like over night? 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

10 minutes ago, SamClan said:

do you just turn your computer off and it still has a connection to electricity? or do you turn off your computer and switch the power off on your multiple connector strip?

like over night? 

Not exactly sure what you mean ? but I shut down my PC normally and it stays hooked to the wall until next session. its the next session turn-on that has become a gamble lately

just fully unpluck it or flip the psu power button over night. Or you just flip the power button on your extension cord

Meister 7430130 2-Way Socket Strip - Extra Flat Plug - 2 m Cable - IP20  Indoor - Illuminated Switch / Multiple Socket with Child Protection / flat plug  connector strip: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

I do that, but that doesn't work all the time and I still don't know the root cause of the issue.

By "it refuses to turn on at all." Do you mean that the PSU and power light dont even come on, or do you just mean that it wont have any display output and wont boot? If it powers on but just doesnt display anything, I have dealt with that:

Does your motherboard have any error/status light indicators?

Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, does it make any beeping noises?

These will give indicators that are good places to start.

Otherwise, some things I would look at:

-Reseat GPU

-Use only 1 memory stick, if you have more than 1

-Use a different memory slot (some mobos may not allow this)

-Remove GPU

-Remove everything from the mobo except the essential CPU as well as essential power related wires.

After doing all that, replacing RAM, and RMAing my mobo, I think my CPU may have a memory controller issue which is now out for RMA. I'm not saying that it is your problem here, but it is possible.

11 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

By "it refuses to turn on at all." Do you mean that the PSU and power light dont even come on, or do you just mean that it wont have any display output and wont boot? If it powers on but just doesnt display anything, I have dealt with that:

Does your motherboard have any error/status light indicators?

Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, does it make any beeping noises?

These will give indicators that are good places to start.

Otherwise, some things I would look at:

-Reseat GPU

-Use only 1 memory stick, if you have more than 1

-Use a different memory slot (some mobos may not allow this)

-Remove GPU

-Remove everything from the mobo except the essential CPU as well as essential power related wires.

After doing all that, replacing RAM, and RMAing my mobo, I think my CPU may have a memory controller issue which is now out for RMA. I'm not saying that it is your problem here, but it is possible.

One day I press the power button and it runs well all day. Another I press the power button and ... nothing. It doesn't come out of its shutdown state.

I try to unplug and re-plug to the wall, RGB lights are on and working, I press the power button and still won't start.

After some time passes with trying the button several times my PC turns on with the power button. until the next time when I have to do this dance again.

Lately, even the unplugging/replugging solution has not been working, I would wait longer and longer before it works. What I want is help finding the root cause for this finnicky behaviour. What's worse is that it is all completely random.

my MOBO is Asrock 450m Steel Legend, I'm not aware of any error lights or I can't tell them from the playing RGBs

18 hours ago, Temsah said:

One day I press the power button and it runs well all day. Another I press the power button and ... nothing. It doesn't come out of its shutdown state.

I try to unplug and re-plug to the wall, RGB lights are on and working, I press the power button and still won't start.

After some time passes with trying the button several times my PC turns on with the power button. until the next time when I have to do this dance again.

My guess is that either there is a PSU issue, a weird motherboard issue that is vital to it drawing any power from PSU, or some weird electrical power/wiring problem.

Those types of problems might require a voltimeter to measure power or something. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those.

Update:

Well now my PC is 100% dead, took it to a repair shop and they told me it's the IO chipset in the MOBO thats gone and I need to buy a new MOBO. is it possible that the IO chipset can cause this kind of error or are they trying to scam/upsell me ?