Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trouble cloning small ssd to big ssd

I've been trying to clone a Dell laptop sub 200GB Toshiba mvme M key SSD to a 1TB Crucial P5 2280 SSD and having really bad luck with it. I've cloned many drives and never had this kind of trouble before. The two drives are built in GPT instead of MBR because the Dell came like that. If it helps, the Dell is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming and what stock hardware it comes with aside from extra ram and a replaced HDD to SSD. So the boot drive in question is the one in the photo that's backing up at the moment to a flash drive. Not sure if this is even going to work. So what I'm trying to do is this: Clone the old and tiny SSD to the 1TB SSD and expand the unallocated extra 900 or so GB to the BOOT partition so as to not fill up the partition with my programs that I want to go into the C drive as you would a computer that already came with a bigger drive. My problem is when I tell Aomei Partition Assistant to use the extra space, it gives some of it to the boot drive, some of it to the extra partitions and still leaves some unallocated which is annoying in itself. I managed to get all the disk cloned over after some headache. When I booted the computer up finally, I decided to go ahead and reformat. Windows tells me to insert the recovery media. Herein lies the real issue. Where did it go? I cloned it several times and it never clones over. What do? Does anyone have any solutions to this or is this a failed project and I need to return this SSD to Best Buy? Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20210622_205826851.thumb.jpg.cd5ce93bdad62d996bba93aa3877f88a.jpg

2 hours ago, Selestialnorre said:

when I tell Aomei Partition Assistant to use the extra space

Why not just manage the extra space in the windows partition manager

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Why not just manage the extra space in the windows partition manager

I used Aomei because Windows Partition Manager wouldn't even get me this far. The problem is my recovery partitions aren't cloning to the new drive thus I can't reformat the computer from the Windows 10 settings panel under Update and Security.