Is there a way to check if I have a free m.2 slot without having to open my case?

I have a prebuilt that I'm looking to upgrade the storage of from a random ass laptop 256GB SSD with read/write speeds on par with HDDs to an actually competent 1TB SSD and I was wanting to know if there was a way to check if I have an open m.2 or pcie slot to install my SSD into without having to open the case because I don't have an anti static thing yet and I don't wanna fuck anything in my computer up. Do I have to open it up to check?

You're not going to mess your computer up by opening it, and you don't need any sort of anti-static strap. You shouldn't even need to remove anything unless your GPU is in the way. Did you install the drive you currently have in it?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

some motherboards have a feature in their bios where you can see the mainboard and what is connected where... 

my old Z77 Pro from Askrock even has this, showing me what kind of usb device is connected on each usb socket, the drives connected to sata, what cards are in the PCIE/PCI slots, the cpu and ram,

Newer models show the M.2 Slots as well...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

If you can give us the exact model, or at least the link to where you bought it we can likely tell you.

Static Precautions you actually need to worry about:

1) Leave your computer plugged into the wall, but make sure it's shut down.  (Grounding)

2) touch the metal of your case, so you become grounded to the metal.

3) Open it, and you can look around and see things, and you'll be fine.

I don't think any apps will tell you if you have an empty NVME Slot.

HWInfo will tell you your motherboard model, and you can look up how many slots it has.

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

If you can give us the exact model, or at least the link to where you bought it we can likely tell you.

It's a Lenovo IdeaCentre C5 14IMB05, the version with the 1660 SUPER and 12GB of RAM. I haven't installed anything in it yet. It says the motherboard is a 370A but I can't find anything online about it.

2 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

It's a Lenovo IdeaCentre C5 14IMB05, the version with the 1660 SUPER and 12GB of RAM. I haven't installed anything in it yet. It says the motherboard is a 370A but I can't find anything online about it.

As far as I can tell your computer only has one M.2 slot. Hardware manual

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

As far as I can tell your computer only has one M.2 slot. Hardware manual

What about PCIe x4 slots? Can I install an SSD into one of those?

7 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

What about PCIe x4 slots? Can I install an SSD into one of those?

With an expensive adapter, yes. Though there's really not a point if this is just for a gaming PC, as you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a decent SATA SSD and a fast NVMe drive for something like game load times. What's the new SSD for?

Also, you have to open your PC to add the drive anyways so opening it to check whether you have a free slot or not doesn't make a difference. Might as well pop off the side panel and look inside.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

there is no need to worry about damaging your computer bercause most things now protect against static. there is no harm in just removing the side panel to look into the case. you will not be touching any component so there is no need to worry about damage.

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

With an expensive adapter, yes. Though there's really not a point if this is just for a gaming PC, as you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a decent SATA SSD and a fast NVMe drive for something like game load times. What's the new SSD for?

Also, you have to open your PC to add the drive anyways so opening it to check whether you have a free slot or not doesn't make a difference. Might as well pop off the side panel and look inside.

They're not expensive.  Multiple SSD ones might be, but single NVME to PCI-E x4 is cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Controller-Expansion-Card-Support-Converter/dp/B07JJTVGZM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pcie+nvme&qid=1624394109&sr=8-3

14 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Well I want a better SSD for less stuttering and hitching in open world games, not just load times. Honestly the load times don't even really bother me all too much regardless of how long they are. Should I be looking for something else to prevent hitching in games?

2 hours ago, bungusboy81 said:

Well I want a better SSD for less stuttering and hitching in open world games, not just load times. Honestly the load times don't even really bother me all too much regardless of how long they are. Should I be looking for something else to prevent hitching in games?

a regular SATA SSD will be fine to prevent hitching in open world games.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

a regular SATA SSD will be fine to prevent hitching in open world games.

Alright, thank you. Pretty sure this one is about the lowest end it gets because it has one too many chinese characters on it. I'll see what I can do.