Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

question about ram from pentium 3 era

For anyone who was around in the pentium 3 Era can you please explain what types of ram were used and how they were compatible? Like is sdram different than pc 100 and pc133 ram or am I just confusing different things?

Sdram means it’s synchronized to the processor bus speed, it’s a bit more of a generic term now but most ram you’d be using in a Slot 1, socket 7 or 370 era system will be synchronous, your ram will run at the processor bus speed.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

Sdram means it’s synchronized to the processor bus speed, it’s a bit more of a generic term now but most ram you’d be using in a Slot 1, socket 7 or 370 era system will be synchronous, your ram will run at the processor bus speed.

I'm using socket 370, what ram should I use?

2 minutes ago, oali24 said:

I'm using socket 370, what ram should I use?

Whatever it supports, it’s likely PC133 unless it’s one of the high end via Apollo boards which may take 266mhz DDR

It works the same as modern ram in that it’ll clock down faster memory if the bus is slower. Like how you can put 3600mhz ddr4 into a system with no xmp and it just runs at 2666mhz.

Dame deal, put 133mhz pc133 into a Pentium 3 system and if it’s only at 100mhz it’s just gonna automatically slow down the memory to pc100, don’t have to worry about it.

But you do gotta note what your specific motherboard takes because socket 370 was a transition period and there are boards that took DDR instead of PC ram.

You could run it with PC100 and it will be ok, could even clock it up a bit, but PC133 and better is what you want.

AMD R9 5900X + Booost | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/2x iPPC 3K
Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 1800 14-14-14-34 1T 1.425v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1500/1953 | WD SN750 500GB+1TB
Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG + Many CFM's
1 hour ago, 8tg said:

Whatever it supports, it’s likely PC133 unless it’s one of the high end via Apollo boards which may take 266mhz DDR

It works the same as modern ram in that it’ll clock down faster memory if the bus is slower. Like how you can put 3600mhz ddr4 into a system with no xmp and it just runs at 2666mhz.

Dame deal, put 133mhz pc133 into a Pentium 3 system and if it’s only at 100mhz it’s just gonna automatically slow down the memory to pc100, don’t have to worry about it.

But you do gotta note what your specific motherboard takes because socket 370 was a transition period and there are boards that took DDR instead of PC ram.

Okay, second question, what sort of capacity can I reasonably expect to put in, the motherboard has 3 memory slots and is from some weird Indian brand that doesn't seem to exist anymore and I have a celeron processor installed currently, are there any considerations I need to make or can I just fill it with the highest capacity non ecc sticks I can find?

6 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Okay, second question, what sort of capacity can I reasonably expect to put in, the motherboard has 3 memory slots and is from some weird Indian brand that doesn't seem to exist anymore and I have a celeron processor installed currently, are there any considerations I need to make or can I just fill it with the highest capacity non ecc sticks I can find?

Most boards will be 768mb, three 256mb sticks, that’s the limitation of the majority of boards from the time, there are some that could do 1.5gb but they’re again, the high end via Apollo boards 

9 hours ago, 8tg said:

Most boards will be 768mb, three 256mb sticks, that’s the limitation of the majority of boards from the time, there are some that could do 1.5gb but they’re again, the high end via Apollo boards 

Okay thank you,