Screens turn off after a few seconds and soon after pc restarts. Need help

Icemouse

Hi! I need some help with my GPU. As of yesterday its been acting super weird. I was playing Nier Automata and from out of nowhere my screens turned off, my whole PC restarted itself and then my screens wouldnt detect my graphics card. Today it managed to somehow work again but the same problem happened again and now with a red light above VGA on my motherboard. Though sometimes it turns back on again and functions just as normaly. So i have no idea what it is. I have a Radeon Rx 580 graphics card.

Hello welcome to the forums!

It's very likely that it is the GPU or the PSU. If the PSU was going bad it would explain the system just turning off. However, the VGA Debug LED being on leans me a little more towards the GPU being bad. As you haven't listed the full specs of the PC, I can't tell you for sure which is more likely. If you do have an iGPU I recommend removing the GPU and testing the computer with just that. Otherwise next step would be to try with a new PSU, if it still shuts down with a new PSU then it would be GPU. I'm leaning towards PSU because the computer just flat out turns off like the switch was flipped it's more likely a power issue as a GPU issue would usually have artifacting, freezing, or bluescreens before the computer restarted.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

What power supply. Also check idle and load temps

Ah ill just say all of the specs! My PSU is a Corsair CV550 my Motherboard is a Ryzen B450 Tomahawk Max and CPU is also an AMD Ryzen 5. While also having a hardrive, 5 fans and an SSD and lastly two 8 gig Ram. Idle tempature seems ok, its around 55 C while not playing, and the Temp limit is 90 C

24 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Hello welcome to the forums!

It's very likely that it is the GPU or the PSU. If the PSU was going bad it would explain the system just turning off. However, the VGA Debug LED being on leans me a little more towards the GPU being bad. As you haven't listed the full specs of the PC, I can't tell you for sure which is more likely. If you do have an iGPU I recommend removing the GPU and testing the computer with just that. Otherwise next step would be to try with a new PSU, if it still shuts down with a new PSU then it would be GPU. I'm leaning towards PSU because the computer just flat out turns off like the switch was flipped it's more likely a power issue as a GPU issue would usually have artifacting, freezing, or bluescreens before the computer restarted.

Ah ill just say all of the specs! My PSU is a Corsair CV550 my Motherboard is a Ryzen B450 Tomahawk Max and CPU is also an AMD Ryzen 5. While also having a 2 T hardrive, 5 fans 3 of which are RGB and an SSD and lastly two 8 gig Ram.

3 minutes ago, Icemouse said:

Ah ill just say all of the specs! My PSU is a Corsair CV550 my Motherboard is a Ryzen B450 Tomahawk Max and CPU is also an AMD Ryzen 5. While also having a 2 T hardrive, 5 fans 3 of which are RGB and an SSD and lastly two 8 gig Ram.

What's the GPU? It is possible that the computer is shutting down because of an overheating issues so case model would also be good to know.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What's the GPU? It is possible that the computer is shutting down because of an overheating issues so case model would also be good to know.

Oh right sorry! My GPU is a XFX Radeon Rx 580 and the case is a Corsair Carbide Spec-05. I also have two screens hooked up to the GPU an ACER LCD Monitor AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 1,5A and a Samsung Curved monitor 1920x1080 120-230V 250Hz 

37 minutes ago, emosun said:

What power supply. Also check idle and load temps

My powersuply is a Corsair CV550 and the temps seem fine, Idle temp is around 50-58 C and Temp limit is 90 C i checked the temp when i was playing and it was around 60 C when it suddenly turned off. So i dont think overall temp is a big issue

How are you playing NA? 

Any mods? 

FAR?

Vanilla?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

How are you playing NA? 

Any mods? 

FAR?

Vanilla?

Its Vanilla, no mods or anything

ok, just checking. then sounds like either GPU or PSU to me.

Is there anything in event viewer that seems sus?  Actual errors… sometimes they point to certain games or parts, sometimes they dont…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

ok, just checking. then sounds like either GPU or PSU to me.

Is there anything in event viewer that seems sus?  Actual errors… sometimes they point to certain games or parts, sometimes they dont…

Well i am just checking in my event viewer and i have a lot of Errors for when my pc actually shuts off from the probelm, and a lot of warnings before that. I dont think it points to NA itself..i think its tied to games in general. Ive tried to start up a few other games and same thing happened, whether they are from Steam or Xbox gamepass, the screens still turn off, then a few seconds later my whole PC restarts 

An update on this:
As i start up the PC the CPU Debug LED turns on for a few seconds before turning off again same thing with the VGA LED, it turns on for a few seconds then turns off. And after a few of those crashes and restarts the pc will suddenly restart once again without me being in a game or anything and thats when the VGA LED stays on for the whole time and the screens wont turn on and i have to unplug everything to fix it.