First build from scratch, but some questions so I don't mess it up

JaegerNH

Budget (including currency): $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Strictly games, mostly CS:GO, Insurgency, Elite Dangerous

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6F7NP

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B560M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: *EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Notes:

1. I already have the 4 TB drive and GTX 1050Ti from my existing machine
  2. I plan to wait until GPU prices come back to Earth, but a MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti is tempting

Questions:

1. Since I (obviously) want to overclock the CPU, will the Gigabyte BIOS support this?
  2. I have seen motherboards Z490, B550, and B560.  Why choose one over the other?
  3. One of the suggested lists showed DDR4-3000 memory instead of DDR4-3200 which is also supported.  Why go slower?  For lower CAS latency?

Any ideas of things to change or mistakes to avoid appreciated.

11 minutes ago, JaegerNH said:

Budget (including currency): $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Strictly games, mostly CS:GO, Insurgency, Elite Dangerous

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6F7NP

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B560M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: *EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Notes:

1. I already have the 4 TB drive and GTX 1050Ti from my existing machine
  2. I plan to wait until GPU prices come back to Earth, but a MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti at $100 is tempting

Questions:

1. Since I (obviously) want to overclock the CPU, will the Gigabyte BIOS support this?
  2. I have seen motherboards Z490, B550, and B560.  Why choose one over the other?
  3. One of the suggested lists showed DDR4-3000 memory instead of DDR4-3200 which is also supported.  Why go slower?  For lower CAS latency?

Any ideas of things to change or mistakes to avoid appreciated.

I would go with ddr4-3200, and I think the bios will support overclockinghut I'm not sure 

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

I would go with ddr4-3200, and I think the bios will support overclockinghut I'm not sure 

didnt OP go for 3200?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

B560 chipset does not support overclocking the CPU. You need Z590 for that. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

It's going to bottleneck a bit and it's a little overkill but since you are playing mostly CS, the 5600x is incredible.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($91.19 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $726.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-22 11:14 EDT-0400

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

didnt OP go for 3200?

yes, but OP asked the question about 3000 so I agreed that I would go with 3200.

Oh, another question.  Now that I know I need to get a better motherboard for overlocking, will I also need a better CPU cooler?  I seem to remember seeing a video where getting to the upper limits required extra cooling.

44 minutes ago, JaegerNH said:

Oh, another question.  Now that I know I need to get a better motherboard for overlocking, will I also need a better CPU cooler?  I seem to remember seeing a video where getting to the upper limits required extra cooling.

I would want better than the Pure Rock Slim, yes.

If you were going with the Ryzen 5600X system Downkey suggested, there wouldn't be much benefit to overclocking and you could use the stock cooler or a budget 120mm tower cooler like the Pure Rock Slim. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Sooooooo close to going shopping...

Switched motherboard to Z590 and changed cooler to Noctua NH-U9S, then saw the Fuma 2.

@Middcore which cooler do you think is better?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xv4ynL

But now I get the warning: "The Asus PRIME Z590M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it."

Is there a workaround?