Unable to boot from a USB created in YUMI

rgcodes
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
25 minutes ago, rgcodes said:

UEFI returns the error "USB doesn't have any boot option, please choose another device to boot from in the boot manager" if I try to boot form a USB flashed using any of the other aforementioned apps.

I was able to install Linux Mint on my BIOS-only laptop using the very same flash drive without a hitch, it's only the UEFI system that's causing problems.

Try Ventoy from here:- https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html After you install it you can just drag and drop iso files into the USB to make installation media of the OS.

And see if the Linux Boots. If it does not work press F1 after highlighting the Linux iso (It loads the iso onto a ramdisk).

Hi. I have a Micromax Canvas Lapbook L1160 UEFI-only system (no way to boot in legacy BIOS, I checked everywhere) that is unable to boot any ISO installed on it from YUMI. I used various other apps like Rufus, BalenaEtcher, Linux Mint's image writer and mkusb to make the USB bootable, but the only app that at least gave me a selection screen was YUMI.

All I see after I have selected the OS from YUMI's boot screen is a long list of checks and then a message saying: "Could not find <ISO PATH>, This could also happen if the file system is not clean because of an operating system crash, an interrupted boot process, an improper shutdown, or unplugging of a removable device without first unmounting or ejecting it. To fix this, simply reboot into Windows, let it fully start, log in, run 'chkdsk /r', then gracefully shut down and reboot back into Windows. After this you should be able to reboot again and resume the installation."

There are two odd things about my situation that may help. The first is that my laptop is running a 32 bit version of windows even though the processor is 64 bit, and the second is that booting Bodhi linux's 32 bit version (The only 32 bit OS I have tried till now) gave me a blank screen, even though the flash drive's LED was blinking rapidly, as if there were many read/write operations being carried on it.

Please do not hesitate to ask for any more information, and thank you in advance!

System specs:

Intel Atom Z3735F

2 GB RAM

GPT drive

IMG_20210622_134003.jpg

UEFI returns the error "USB doesn't have any boot option, please choose another device to boot from in the boot manager" if I try to boot form a USB flashed using any of the other aforementioned apps.

I was able to install Linux Mint on my BIOS-only laptop using the very same flash drive without a hitch, it's only the UEFI system that's causing problems.

25 minutes ago, rgcodes said:

Try Ventoy from here:- https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html After you install it you can just drag and drop iso files into the USB to make installation media of the OS.

And see if the Linux Boots. If it does not work press F1 after highlighting the Linux iso (It loads the iso onto a ramdisk).

22 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Ventoy successfuly booted up 32 bit Bodhi Linux, thanks a lot! Although any other 32 bit ISO returns the error "No boot file found, maybe it dosen't support IA32. Is that a Ventoy problem or a Distro problem?

9 minutes ago, rgcodes said:

Ventoy successfuly booted up 32 bit Bodhi Linux, thanks a lot! Although any other 32 bit ISO returns the error "No boot file found, maybe it dosen't support IA32. Is that a Ventoy problem or a Distro problem?

I think the BIOS is locked down to prevent oses from running.

• 7 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, WickedThunder86 said:

I think the BIOS is locked down to prevent oses from running.

Hey can you tell me the exact process you did to make bodhi linux work on your netbook? 
I downloaded Ventoy but can not figure out what to do next. 

1 hour ago, NoahChoudhary said:

Hey can you tell me the exact process you did to make bodhi linux work on your netbook? 
I downloaded Ventoy but can not figure out what to do next. 

To use ventoy you need to first install it on your usb drive by using the ventoy program and then you can just drag and drop the iso on the usb.

43 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

To use ventoy you need to first install it on your usb drive by using the ventoy program and then you can just drag and drop the iso on the usb.

Many thanks for the help mate. Working on it now!