2 Internet connections. How to limit programs to use 1 or the other?

Arika

Some people might already be aware, but i have 2 internet connections to my house

1. StarLink
  2. ADSL

I need both until StarLink is able to service my needs in terms of reliability before i dump my ADSL connection (primarily for my work laptop). Unfortunately this comes with the issues of needing to disconnect one and connect to another depending on what I want to do. Is there some software that will just allow me to stay connected to both 100% of the time, but tell certain programs they are only allowed to use a certain connection/network?

The only real need i have on my personal computer to be connected to ADSL is when playing online games. Everything else can be left on StarLink.

Both connections are isolated from each other with different routers and gateways, and each has it's own network adapter on my PC.

currently i just go into the network adapters and disable/enable each network depending on what i want to do, which isn't ideal, hence why i'm looking for a better solution.

For example I open up <online game> and it uses the ADSL for all it's traffic, but my browser which is currently playing youtube continues to use StarLink.

--Any solutions must work on windows--

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

VLANs is what you need, if have a router that has the feature enabled use it, If not, get a spare PC and setup Pfsense or something similar and set it up as your router.

EDIT: depending on the PC you have or you plan on getting, you might need get an extra network card with 4 ports.

To setup up Starlink with with Pfsense, take a look at this video:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

58 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

VLANs is what you need, if have a router that has the feature enabled use it, If not, get a spare PC and setup Pfsense or something similar and set it up as your router.

That may be the most complicated and expensive solution. I didn't really want to spend a few hundred $s on a PC and become a network admin for a single PC to fix a mild inconvenience.

Is there not just a software solution that will tell program x to only speak on ethernet 2 with ethernet 1 taking priority for everything else?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

49 minutes ago, Arika S said:

That may be the most complicated and expensive solution. I didn't really want to spend a few hundred $s on a PC and become a network admin for a single PC to fix a mild inconvenience.

Is there not just a software solution that will tell program x to only speak on ethernet 2 with ethernet 1 taking priority for everything else?

I'm sure there are but I have not tested any myself.

I have found this, but does not seem to be update to date, lasted updated version was in 2017.

https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

12 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

I'm sure there are but I have not tested any myself.

I have found this, but does not seem to be update to date, lasted updated version was in 2017.

https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip

This might be exactly what I need. if it works.

Guess i've got some testing to do!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

51 minutes ago, Arika S said:

How are you liking Starlink thus far?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How are you liking Starlink thus far?

It is sooooo good. But its hard not to beat my existing connection...

The downtime have been very minimal recently and they still don't have anywhere near full numbers of satelites up yet.

image.png.7abf49eb475b1ba3a4f9624af770088d.png

i know this probably seems like a lot to most people, but it likely happened while i was sleeping since i've not noticed any downtime myself.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

It is sooooo good. But its hard not to beat my existing connection...

The downtime have been very minimal recently and they still don't have anywhere near full numbers of satelites up yet.

image.png.7abf49eb475b1ba3a4f9624af770088d.png

i know this probably seems like a lot to most people, but it likely happened while i was sleeping since i've not noticed any downtime myself.

I think my uncle is subscribed to it as well. I need to talk to him and see how its working. Not sure if its available in my area. Im fortunate to have cable internet, but Comcast is a bunch of bastards, so much so Ive looked in to Starlink and T Mobile's home internet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

Awesome! let me know if it works! 😄