AMD’s gift to ALL gamers - FidelityFX Super Resolution

AMD has long needed FidelityFX Super Resolution to be competitive with Nvidia in ray tracing performance, and now that it’s finally here, could it possibly put up a fight? Does it have to?

Thanks to 3kliksphilip for permission to use clips from his excellent DLSS low-res video:

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

i'm first to wannt this to happen for my 1060 on my dell 7577 laptop ...

cross fingers ...

had offers for sgd800 for it .... 

Great technology. Hopefully games start implementing this. But the name is horrible in my opinion. Everyone remembers DLSS, because it's a simple name. I personally cannot remember what the AMD version's name is from memory.  AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is too long. I think they need to think that name again.

It would be super convinient if ReShade could implement it, this would mean almost any game could benefit from FSR without "native support".

1 minute ago, xlbob said:

Great technology. Hopefully games start implementing this. But the name is horrible in my opinion. Everyone remembers DLSS, because it's a simple name. I personally cannot remember what the AMD version's name is from memory.  AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is too long. I think they need to think that name again.

I mean, 

amd FSR?

•  

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

1 minute ago, xlbob said:

Great technology. But the name is horrible in my opinion. Everyone remembers DLSS, because it's a simple name. I personally cannot remember what the AMD version's name is. AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is too long. I think they need to think that name again.

I'm sure it wont change, we already call it "FSR" and once it becomes more popular it will just be called that.

So for 4K use it can be quite nice.

Else it will mostly become blurry unless its a game that doesn't get too blurry or is fine with some detail loss.

With something that will make console run better, but will they sneak in some marketing claims and using it with no way of disabling on console?

Like for instance, making an update to cyberpunk to make it "run" they have it locked on a quality or balance mode?

Maybe base Xbone/ps4 will be able to run Cyberpunk?

Edit: tried Rift Breaker on my RX480. 
4k native = 37FPS
4k + FSR performance (internal 1080p) = 73FPS (but looks bad)
4k + FSR balanced (internal 1270p) = 65FPS (looks pretty good)
If it can do the same for Cyberpunk in older consoles, it will be great.

1 minute ago, Crimson Lockhart said:

Has anyone been able to run "FSR" on Nvidia cards if so were is the link to it.

I think you just need the updated games to be able to run it.

So I know it says it supports GTX 10xx cards but its software based, right? If thats the case wouldn't FSR work with any gpu? I only ask because I run a 980 ti and dont think ill be upgrading anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Jerm1990 said:

So I know it says it supports GTX 10xx cards but its software based, right? If thats the case wouldn't FSR work with any gpu? 

Yes. Technically it could, but we don't know what their code looks like, so they may be using features that are unsupported by older GPUs.

can be how it processes and how it works with other types of software.

so you might be able to, but it will likely not be the same and just better to set a lower resolution or whatever else.

Might not be worth it, until it matures a lot more, if it gets a lot of updates to it.

30 minutes ago, Jerm1990 said:

So I know it says it supports GTX 10xx cards but its software based, right? If thats the case wouldn't FSR work with any gpu? I only ask because I run a 980 ti and dont think ill be upgrading anytime soon.

Think of raytracing. It technically works on anything, but without dedicated RT cores, the performance is abysmal. There may be a similar hardware/software limitation for FSR.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Rendering solutions like this are interesting to be fair. It is a bit like cheating but not at the same time.

But it is nice of AMD to make it a more "open" standard.

But I also understand why DLSS is fairly closed, since it relies on specific hardware so it isn't much sense in shoehorning it in where it can't easily fit. (Even if some users would happily make driver level amendments to get a feature working.)

Though, I do wonder how this technology will pan out in a couple of years. Even DLSS is fairly new, real time ray tracing too. So who knows where things might go in 5-10 years time. I suspect it might be more common, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it somewhat dies down as well. Simply stated, it is a new fancy tool in the box that everyone just must use, despite not having figured how to efficiently use it yet. Similar to any other graphics technology that has hit the market so far.

So i just watched GamersNexus video on FSR and it looks like it supports everything.

5 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Why would you test it with a 6800 if the entire point is that it benefits people with old, low end cards?

Why not, he makes videos for the pc builder enthusiast that spend the extra dollar to get newer and better gaming gpu's, whereas non-ethusiast people might just think aslong I can watch youtube videos I don't care about the performance of my low end gpu. My point is there is a big audience to see benchmarks in high end gpu to see how much it benefits from FSR. 

But yes you're right low end gpu's would be nice, but would you consider 1080 Ti to be low end right now? 

Anyway here low end gpu's, I time stamped it.

48 minutes ago, Strategic said:

Why not, he makes videos for the pc builder enthusiast that spend the extra dollar to get newer and better gaming gpu's

He made a point TWICE in the video about how this is a bigger benefit to people with lower end or older GPUs.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Why would you test it with a 6800 if the entire point is that it benefits people with old, low end cards?

You're right. AMD themselves made a point at their early June keynote by using a GTX 1060. I don't get it.

Just watch other review I suppose.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

I’ve watched 4 reviews now. From what I understood fidelityfx is actually design for mid and high end gpus. Between, 4k, 1440p and 1080p, 1080p is the worst of the bunch and it would only get blurrier as you lower the resolution. While 1440p is the best option for a balance of high fps and quality. As fidelityfx is mainly focus on 4k and 1440p, we can say that these are mainly beneficial to gpus designed for 4k and 1440p, which are high end cards, old gen high end cards(mid range) and mid range cards. Though it is really helpful and would give at least another year or two for cards that run’s on 1080p, until we get out of this gpu stock issue.

I’ve always believed that amd’s best business move was being able to partner with sony and microsoft’s ps5 and xbox. I would not be surprised if within a year or even 6months, we will have more games that support fidelityfx compared to dlss supported games. I mean, think about it. It is much easier to incorporate to an older or current game. Plus most likely new games that would be coming out on consoles will have fidelityfx support together with there pc version.

but what I’m looking forward is if it is really true that there will be a samsung-amd phone and will it support fidelityfx too.