Wanting a higher end Monitor..

Yodi2007

I am putting together my PC a 5950x, Dark Hero VIII, Asrock 6900xt, 32 GB of corsair 3200MHz RAM, AIO Cooling with OC. I will be playing video games of all types and watching some tv shows and movie. What is a Good monitor/monitors to get? I can go either Ultrwide or one great monitor or Dual monitors. Im not into curve monitors but will take one if it can get me a great experience. Budget for one monitor ~750 is usd. 

A gigabyte G27Q. Basically 99% the quality of the 600$+ monitor range but for around 300$.

For a second monitor a asus proart 1440p one could be nice if you want those really nice crispy colours.

38 minutes ago, Yodi2007 said:

I am putting together my PC a 5950x, Dark Hero VIII, Asrock 6900xt, 32 GB of corsair 3200MHz RAM, AIO Cooling with OC. I will be playing video games of all types and watching some tv shows and movie. What is a Good monitor/monitors to get? I can go either Ultrwide or one great monitor or Dual monitors. Im not into curve monitors but will take one if it can get me a great experience. Budget for one monitor ~750 is usd. 

That card should do 4k@high refresh no problem. 27” is small for 4k though.  What size monitor are you looking for?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That card should do 4k@high refresh no problem. 27” is small for 4k though.  What size monitor are you looking for?

Yeah 27 inch 4k doesn't make sense so no point in wasting performance on a higher res and just get a nice 1440p monitor. Also means the card is going to last them A LOT longer as it will have a fair bit of power to spare right now and that will carry over into the future.

27 inch 4k is one of those bigger numbers aren't always better situations.

My pick would be a higher end 1440p monitor like the LG 27GP850 or MSI MAG274QRX-QD.

4K high refresh rate is basically out of reach with your budget.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

My pick would be a higher end 1440p monitor like the LG 27GP850 or MSI MAG274QRX-QD.

I mean hell the 6900xt can do it now but give it a year or more and forget about high refresh rate 4k at higher settings :p.

Just now, jaslion said:

I mean hell the 6900xt can do it now but give it a year or more and forget about high refresh rate 4k at higher settings :p.

No i literally meant with the budget OP set for his monitor, good 4K 144Hz Monitors are out of reach.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

No i literally meant with the budget OP set for his monitor, good 4K 144Hz Monitors are out of reach.

Oh yeah I know. This is more as a fill in as another reason why not to do this.

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Narrowly, technically No if the OP goes 27” there are a couple asus monitors that will do it, but it’s really too small for useful 4k so effectively yes.  The problem is there a big price jump after 27” just for being bigger than 27” which the budget does not allow for, so things have to be cut elsewhere.  There’s just so much computer that getting a monitor that will max it produces problems.  4k has an advantage in that it shrinks to 1080p well (x4) so a 4k monitor is effectively a 4k monitor and a 1080p monitor.  1440p shrinks that way too, but it shrinks to 720p, which is really too small for the hardware to run easily.  Still arguably better than 27” 4k though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

27 or higher. 32 or more preferred. Was looking at the ultrawide monitors but the good ones seem too much. 1500+ 

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

My budget could be higher.  I will just recycle my keyboard and not get a high end m.2 gen 4 ssd. I can save an additional 300usd here.

Had a thought: what about 3 smaller 1080ps with narrow bezels and those screen merger things that were demoed on an LTT video between them? Gets into the right size range and the right price range. Buy monitors that can do high refresh rate and at 120p it’s effectively 6k.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Had a thought: what about 3 smaller 1080ps with narrow bezels and those screen merger things that were demoed on an LTT video between them? Gets into the right size range and the right price range. Buy monitors that can do high refresh rate and at 120p it’s effectively 6k.

This what I currently have. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRCLHYS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_glt_i_WV9FJ9FZJEX7KCZ3W4RB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Have you considered getting a 48" OLED ? Its suitably high end, shouldnt be outside any budget u have considering what u've built.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, Yodi2007 said:

My budget could be higher.  I will just recycle my keyboard and not get a high end m.2 gen 4 ssd. I can save an additional 300usd here.

If you want to go 4K 144Hz, get the LG 27GN950. If you also have a console and need HDMI 2.1, get the LG 27GP950.

Alternatively you could go for 1440p 240Hz in the same budget of around $900. Here i'd recommend the Asus PG279QM.

1 hour ago, Yodi2007 said:

There’s a certain argument for one or two more of those and some of those blendy thingamabobbers then.  Bumping up to a 4k@120+hz is what that video card is built for though.  And if you run the AMD upscaling it will work with a standard monitor while it might not with something else

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Narrowly, technically No if the OP goes 27” there are a couple asus monitors that will do it, but it’s really too small for useful 4k so effectively yes.  The problem is there a big price jump after 27” just for being bigger than 27” which the budget does not allow for, so things have to be cut elsewhere.  There’s just so much computer that getting a monitor that will max it produces problems.  4k has an advantage in that it shrinks to 1080p well (x4) so a 4k monitor is effectively a 4k monitor and a 1080p monitor.  1440p shrinks that way too, but it shrinks to 720p, which is really too small for the hardware to run easily.  Still arguably better than 27” 4k though.

I've had a 4K 27" monitor for a while and there is a very noticeable improvement in text clarity and general sharpness in gaming compared to 1440p. The monitor is one of the peripherals that get's upgraded the least over time. So having one that maxes out your PC can make sense.

Ultimately it's up to OP wheter he want's to go 4K or 1440p. But 4K is a very feasable option for 3080 owners and up.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I've had a 4K 27" monitor for a while and there is a very noticeable improvement in text clarity and general sharpness in gaming compared to 1440p. The monitor is one of the peripherals that get's upgraded the least over time. So having one that maxes out your PC can make sense.

Ultimately it's up to OP wheter he want's to go 4K or 1440p. But 4K is a very feasable option for 3080 owners and up.

The text I can believe for just about everyone, but for gaming all you need is a smaller pixel than you can see.  There are people who are fine with 27”1080p though there are also those that aren’t.  4k 100+hz 32+“ would be where that video card wants to be.  If one went 27” I would suggest less video card.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The text I can believe for just about everyone, but for gaming all you need is a smaller pixel than you can see.  There are people who are fine with 27”1080p though there are also those that aren’t.  4k 100+hz 32+“ would be where that video card wants to be.  If one went 27” I would suggest less video card.

I have to object. With 4K you can see much more detail, it's easier to spot enemies at a distance, and for me the biggest one: There is noticeably less "shimmering" happening with narrow lines like fences, appearing and disappearing of power lines, etc... These are artifacts introduced by the fact that the game is trying to render something that is smaller than a pixel. And yes, even at 27" all of these apply. 4K does have it's use, even in gaming and at 27".

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I have to object. With 4K you can see much more detail, it's easier to spot enemies at a distance, and for me the biggest one: There is noticeably less "shimmering" happening with narrow lines like fences, appearing and disappearing of power lines, etc... These are artifacts introduced by the fact that the game is trying to render something that is smaller than a pixel. And yes, even at 27" all of these apply. 4K does have it's use, even in gaming and at 27".

So some of the advantages from going from say 1080p-1440p. some but not by any means all of what a 4k monitor has to offer.  Some fairly minor things for 50% more monitor cost and 180% more gpu cost. If one is going to spend like that might as well get everything there is to offer. 

the the issue as I understand it is it has to do with  the sheets the panels are cut from.  The stuff is not made continuously.  It’s a sheet of a set width and height.  So there’s cutting out flaws but also waste may have to be made to get stuff of particular sizes. This is one of the reason lower wiser screens became popular.  They were cheaper because you could get more of em out of a sheet and there was less waste. Apparently 27” is some sort of sweet spot so they’re cheap. 

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Have you considered getting a 48" OLED ? Its suitably high end, shouldnt be outside any budget u have considering what u've built.

I already have a LG CX 65 inch OLED and a Samsung 75 QLED QT I game some with my PS5/XBSX. I just want something at my desk with a 144hz or more refresh rate when I don't feel like siting on my sofa. 

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If you want to go 4K 144Hz, get the LG 27GN950. If you also have a console and need HDMI 2.1, get the LG 27GP950.

Alternatively you could go for 1440p 240Hz in the same budget of around $900. Here i'd recommend the Asus PG279QM.

Saw this to. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716002?item=N82E16824716002&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-gaming+monitors-_-N82E16824716002&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6iJ-KycOIrpa0fevK8G-nPLpzjVkEFa2_a69o8eSBHBIQsgK5h9bV0aAmyaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I have not seen a review so i can't say anything about it. But you can have a look at this: Aorus FV43U budget 43 inch 4k 144hz HDR1000 impression review - Member Reviews - Linus Tech Tips

I'm heavily leaning towards this now. Got a surprise bonus from work today from not missing a day of work. 850usd 

2 hours ago, Yodi2007 said:

I'm heavily leaning towards this now. Got a surprise bonus from work today from not missing a day of work. 850usd 

Just don't expect too much of the HDR. It's only edge-lit local dimming. So realistically not contrast enhancing.