Looking to get a computer with a good upgrade path

CriFi

Budget (including currency): $1000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want a computer with a good upgrade path and to be able to play Doom Eternal

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): The Graphics card is one that im going to be getting for free from a friend.

The build in question I've come up with no knowledge of computers https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9xZpPV

Bad time to get a computer with an upgrade path. Zen4 will likely be DDR5 with no backwards compatibility on motherboards, meaning the 5xxx series will be the only upgrade your motherboard will support, and intel is no better. 

There is no good upgrade path right now. Both Intel and AMD are about to switch sockets and switch over to DDR5 and potentially PCIe 5.0. In other words, we're on the cusp of pretty much everything changing.

If you get a 3600 and B550, as you've chosen, that puts you into a relatively good place where you can update to a 5800X or something later (or 5900X/5950X, but that's not going to do much for your for gaming alone). That's the best you're going to do.

Overall, your current build looks good. Personally, though, I'd just try to throw a 5800X into it now, if you can. Buying the 3600 now and 5800X later is just going to cost you more in the long run, and games will be wanting 8 cores very soon, now that the next gen consoles have gone there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

There is a Canadian PCPartPicker.

The gpu you are getting does not meet Doom Eternal minimum specs.

You don't need a 750W psu. A good 550W or 650W unit will handle an upgrade to an RTX 3060.

I'd suggest ditching the hdd and getting an inexpensive 1TB m.2 drive.

Have you thought about a case?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.