12219 Multi-Core Rendering Score | CINEBENCH R23 | RYZEN 7 3700X

Hello! I have been running test and over-clocks on my 3700X all day just for fun. I am pretty new to overclocking but not pc building. I have been building for about 5 years now. I was able to get the CPU to be stable at 4.350GHZ with a CPU Voltage of 1.40625. I am not quite sure if this is the ABSOLUTE best overclock. I am running the NZXT Kraken M22 120MM AIO. It handles temps very nicely on the 3700X when overclocked. I also have this paired with an NVIDIA RTX 3070 FE in my system. I wanted to asked if maybe there are any more stronger overclocks my cpu could maybe handle. Be free to suggest anything.

p.s, cinebench shows 3.6ghz but I did confirm it is running at 4.350GHZ

image.png.fd109ca0f6a621f6511507df6da83d3b.png

Is it just me, or is overclocking on Ryzen 3000 just not that good?

I remember overclocking my old i5-9600K and squeezing 5.3GHz out of it at 1.4V before reaching thermal limits and toning it back to 5.2GHz.

Stock scores with PBO on a 3700x are about 12k to 13k points in Cinebench R23. I would seriously consider cutting the voltage way down too, 1.4v is extremely high. You should be in the 1.25 to 1.30v range ideally and just let PBO do it's thing.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, wavem2 said:

Is it just me, or is overclocking on Ryzen 3000 just not that good?

I remember overclocking my old i5-9600K and squeezing 5.3GHz out of it at 1.4V before reaching thermal limits and toning it back to 5.2GHz.

LOL, I had a 9700K and was SOME HOW. ABLE TO overclock it to 5.0 GHZ on an air cooler 😂. Its funny cause it stayed at like 35C. 3000 Series ghz wise kinda sucks.

Just now, Lurick said:

Stock scores with PBO on a 3700x are about 12k to 13k points in Cinebench R23. I would seriously consider cutting the voltage way down too, 1.4v is extremely high. You should be in the 1.25 to 1.30v range ideally and just let PBO do it's thing.

You are sure this is safe right? I don't feel like shorting my pc. So If Im gonna turn it down to 1.30v should I revert the oc to stock?

1 minute ago, ClxMase said:

LOL, I had a 9700K and was SOME HOW. ABLE TO overclock it to 5.0 GHZ on an air cooler 😂. Its funny cause it stayed at like 35C. 3000 Series ghz wise kinda sucks.

Dude, I was using a Noctua NH-U9S with two fans on that 9600K, and at 5.2 it never broke 80 degrees... given, my room is cold AF with an ambient around 17, but still, Coffee Lake overclocked like mad.

Just now, wavem2 said:

Dude, I was using a Noctua NH-U9S with two fans on that 9600K, and at 5.2 it never broke 80 degrees... given, my room is cold AF with an ambient around 17, but still, Coffee Lake overclocked like mad.

yeh I live in Florida so my house has to be cold I always have my house at about 65-70F

2 minutes ago, ClxMase said:

Its funny cause it stayed at like 35C.

At idle, maybe. Definitely not while under load or while gaming.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, ClxMase said:

You are sure this is safe right? I don't feel like shorting my pc. So If Im gonna turn it down to 1.30v should I revert the oc to stock?

Yah, and just enable PBO. I had a 3700x myself for a while before swapping to a 5900X and PBO + a set voltage of around 1.28 to 1.3 on the 3700x or 5900x got me the same score or better than manual overclocks and my single threaded score was higher too due to the higher boost clocks 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Roswell said:

At idle, maybe. Definitely not while under load or while gaming.

obviously it only hit like 70C while under load. It was paired with my old 3070 rip 😞

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, and just enable PBO. I had a 3700x myself for a while before swapping to a 5900X and PBO + a set voltage of around 1.28 to 1.3 on the 3700x or 5900x got me the same score or better than manual overclocks and my single threaded score was higher too due to the higher boost clocks 🙂

Turned voltage down. Tanked my score keep in mind tho there is not any overclock now. Just 1.3V with 3.6GHZ

Just now, ClxMase said:

Turned voltage down. Tanked my score keep in mind tho there is not any overclock now. Just 1.3V with 3.6GHZ

Yah, you need to enable PBO

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

I did lol

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

image.thumb.png.c7ccaa57efa4786e173ea32844c0a936.png

wait do you mean in the bios?

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I am not quite sure wtf im doing LOL. Its clocked at 3.6ghz with PBO enabled in Ryzen master with 1.3V

5 minutes ago, ClxMase said:

image.thumb.png.c7ccaa57efa4786e173ea32844c0a936.png

wait do you mean in the bios?

You can or you can use Ryzen Master, yah. Just make sure you apply (don't apply and test unless you want to), I forgot to do that a couple times when testing it out 🙂

You can do it in BIOS as well if you don't want to use Ryzen Master after every reboot.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You can or you can use Ryzen Master, yah. Just make sure you apply (don't apply and test unless you want to), I forgot to do that a couple times when testing it out 🙂

You can do it in BIOS as well if you don't want to use Ryzen Master after every reboot.

okay but its enabled and I still got shitty scores. idk wtf is going on

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

do you think I should try an overclock of 4.0ghz with 1.3V

1 minute ago, ClxMase said:

okay but its enabled and I still got shitty scores. idk wtf is going on

Yah, that's really odd. I know PBO is supposed to be very aggressive with it's boost algorithm but maybe there is some compatibility issue with your board/CPU combo on the current AGESA and BIOS version that's causing issues? Or perhaps Ryzen Master isn't updated? Heck, I had to wipe ryzen master from my computer and reinstall after swapping because otherwise it would give -1 voltage values all over the place, lol

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, ClxMase said:

do you think I should try an overclock of 4.0ghz with 1.3V

I'd give it a shot, I haven't dont too much overclocking with Ryzen Master myself, mostly just PBO to test and the other overclocks were all BIOS so maybe 1.4v in there is different than 1.4v in BIOS.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, that's really odd. I know PBO is supposed to be very aggressive with it's boost algorithm but maybe there is some compatibility issue with your board/CPU combo on the current AGESA and BIOS version that's causing issues? Or perhaps Ryzen Master isn't updated? Heck, I had to wipe ryzen master from my computer and reinstall after swapping because otherwise it would give -1 voltage values all over the place, lol

Already BIOS updated to the latest version. Ill try enabling it in the BIOS and wiping ryzenm from my pc

Reset the CMOS or just factory restore the BIOS (make sure to re-enable XMP). Then just enable PBO and see how it does.

Ryzen doesn't OC well, because Precision Boost is already optimized to pretty much squeeze every last ounce of perf out of the CPU. You just need to get it enough power and thermal headroom. As far as power goes, you can crank more voltage into it, but there's only so much it can handle, and of course more power means higher temps, which then cuts into your thermal head room. The best thing to do is undervolt it, but that's very finicky on Zen 2. You definitely want to just use an offset, rather than a static voltage, assuming your BIOS gives you the option.

Another option is Clock Tuner for Ryzen (CTR) by 1usmus. This basically applies the undervolt on a curve, but it's software driven. As such, it's not always completely stable.

For the most part PBO is your best bet. It just relaxes the default PB limits a bit, potentially allowing it to boost higher.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

25 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No, PBO actually very rarely even does much. You might get an extra 50-100MHz if you're lucky. It's not aggressive at all. You can make it more agressive if your BIOS lets you control the PPT, TDC, and EDC limits, but you need serious cooling if you do that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

12 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No, PBO actually very rarely even does much. You might get an extra 50-100MHz if you're lucky. It's not aggressive at all. You can make it more agressive if your BIOS lets you control the PPT, TDC, and EDC limits, but you need serious cooling if you do that.

did everything you said actually seems better. no oc an cinebench score is 11,000