Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I make my own Waterblock?

I have a few novelty ideas, but mainly I'm pissed I can't find bysiki quadro p4000 waterblocks in stock. I hear using a universal GPU Waterblock with heatsinks is an option, but I'm curious if I can bust out some acrylic & acrylic cement & make a no frills waterblock, if not for the gpu then perhaps a custom case accent.

6 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

I have a few novelty ideas, but mainly I'm pissed I can't find bysiki quadro p4000 waterblocks in stock. I hear using a universal GPU Waterblock with heatsinks is an option, but I'm curious if I can bust out some acrylic & acrylic cement & make a no frills waterblock, if not for the gpu then perhaps a custom case accent.

Yeah, if you know what you're doing and have the right tools and materials, you can definitely.

Do you have all that?

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz All-Core - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 24" 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Other Tech - 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

well, you need a part of the waterblock to be able to transfer heat away from the components, and this would ideally be done with metal. an all-acrylic waterblock will not work, since the acryl won't be able to transfer heat efficiently enough.

you could make a nice accent though. maybe some sort of reservoir or distro plate?

-Phoenix-

BlackMac Woody Clack Virtuality Lil'Lad Plot-Device

all your proteins are belong to us.

Maybe look at those aliexpress waterblocks, some of them sell for real cheap but most of the time they are completely metal and some seem to not have any sort of mounting system so youll also have to figure that out.

Or you can just buy some copper or whatever cheap metal and make a waterblock out of that by cutting and soldering them together, but if you have a welder that may be preffered.

You just need to check for leaks by filling the waterblock cause water getting onto a mobo = either having to wait a few days or dunking it into a tub of isopropyl alcohol

10 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Yeah, if you know what you're doing and have the right tools and materials, you can definitely.

Do you have all that?

I have a drill, dremel, and all the measuring tools (caliper, square edge, ruler). I'd need to get acrylic, acrylic cement, & some aluminum heatsinks and start practicing

8 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

well, you need a part of the waterblock to be able to transfer heat away from the components, and this would ideally be done with metal. an all-acrylic waterblock will not work, since the acryl won't be able to transfer heat efficiently enough.

you could make a nice accent though. maybe some sort of reservoir or distro plate?

I'd have to figure out how to adhere aluminum heatsink(s) into the bottom peice of acrylic to make that work. Curious if that's possible at the diy level.

I was thinking about making the PC's front panel a fun reservoir it'd be a good way to get the coolant from the top rad back to the pump at the bottom. A distroplate sounds very involved, especially when I'm planning a softline build.

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe look at those aliexpress waterblocks, some of them sell for real cheap but most of the time they are completely metal and some seem to not have any sort of mounting system so youll also have to figure that out.

Or you can just buy some copper or whatever cheap metal and make a waterblock out of that by cutting and soldering them together, but if you have a welder that may be preffered.

You just need to check for leaks by filling the waterblock cause water getting onto a mobo = either having to wait a few days or dunking it into a tub of isopropyl alcohol

Yeah, universal Waterblock with some heatsinks is the easy way to go.

Not gonna even consider making a metal heatsink, don't have the tools.