Intel Pentium G630 compatibility

Raghav Raj Sharma

I was just looking at "basic information about my computer" and I found out that my Windows 10 Pro operating system is 32 bit and not 64 bit. I currently have a Pentium G630. I just wanted to know that-

1. Is my processor compatible with a 64 bit operating system.

2. Shall I change it to 64 bit ? If yes- 

• What are the advantages of a 64 bit over a 32 bit operating system ?
  • Summarised explanation about how to change to 64 bit.
  • Pros and Cons of the change.
  • What will be the consequences ? ( Eg- Will I loose my data ?, Will I face any issues with my drivers ?, Will I see any performance change?, ETC.)

IMG_20210621_170815.jpg

Since you have such little ram 64 bit windows will ruin your performance. I once installed Windows 10 20H2 on my Pc with 2gb ram and it was idling at 95% ram usage which made it unusable. If you really want 64 bit then you should install something Lightweight like Xubuntu,Windows 8.1

Can you go 64bit? Sure. Should you? No.

Why?

Simply put you have FAR too little ram to be using it without it being a mess. This is a very very low end older computer and without some basic upgrades windows 10 will run even worse. If your performance is bad now (which I am willing to assume it is as you are basically running windows 10 on minimum spec hardware) it will only be far worse on 64bit.

What to do about it? Get 8gb of ram and a ssd for the bootdrive. Is it worth it? Probably not this machine is worth like 50$ and the upgrades will cost about that.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Can you go 64bit? Sure. Should you? No.

Why?

Simply put you have FAR too little ram to be using it without it being a mess. This is a very very low end older computer and without some basic upgrades windows 10 will run even worse. If your performance is bad now (which I am willing to assume it is as you are basically running windows 10 on minimum spec hardware) it will only be far worse on 64bit.

What to do about it? Get 8gb of ram and a ssd for the bootdrive. Is it worth it? Probably not this machine is worth like 50$ and the upgrades will cost about that.

i think a processor upgrade to a i3-3220 (which is very cheap to get nowadays) would make the machine infinitely more responsive.

1 minute ago, WickedThunder86 said:

i think a processor upgrade to a i3-3220 (which is very cheap to get nowadays) would make the machine infinitely more responsive.

I disagree.

The issue here is the lack of ram and probably ssd at it's core. Sure the i3 would be nice but for basic web tasks a g630 is fine.

Either way this is spending money on a system that is ancient whilst you could go on ebay (you have to for half the upgrades anyways) and get a FAR better computer in every which way for 200$ tops. With a bit of looking below 100$ is possible.

1 hour ago, Raghav Raj Sharma said:

I was just looking at "basic information about my computer" and I found out that my Windows 10 Pro operating system is 32 bit and not 64 bit. I currently have a Pentium G630. I just wanted to know that-

1. Is my processor compatible with a 64 bit operating system.

2. Shall I change it to 64 bit ? If yes- 

• What are the advantages of a 64 bit over a 32 bit operating system ?
  • Summarised explanation about how to change to 64 bit.
  • Pros and Cons of the change.
  • What will be the consequences ? ( Eg- Will I loose my data ?, Will I face any issues with my drivers ?, Will I see any performance change?, ETC.)

IMG_20210621_170815.jpg

With the system being so low end, I wouldn't worry about 'upgrading' to the 64 bit version of Windows.

You could throw in more RAM, assuming you can find it dirt cheap. Even 2 more gb (4gb total) would probably at least make it usable for basic tasks. My Win 10 work pc functioned fairly well with only 4gb of RAM using it for office tasks and light web browsing.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $20 usd though as it won't be worth it IMO.