Microsoft issues DMCA complaint against site hosting Windows 11 ISO

GoodBytes

Indian web site, Beebom, got a DMCA take down request from Microsoft, and Microsoft requested Google to have them delisted from search results.

Why? Because they published an article with a link of the ISO file of Windows 11. The article in question was a guide on how to install Windows 11.

Fossbytes reports:

Microsoft Japan has registered a DMCA complaint against Beebom, a technology news publication based out of India, for distributing unreleased Windows 11 ISO (Copyrighted to Microsoft). The tech giant has also asked Google to remove Beebom’s article from the search as “it contains a leaked copy of the unreleased Windows 11.”

It is unclear if other sites are being affected, but what we do know is that the Indian site quickly removed not only the ISO, but also the entire article on how to install Windows 11.

The page now leads to 404 page. On the site, there is no mention of Windows 11 anywhere anymore beside small articles on the widely, already leaked infos, like the new background (which might change) and its new sounds.

Source: https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-existence-leak-dmca-complaint/

This action puts water on the theory that Microsoft leaked the OS on purpose.

What do you guys think?

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Indian web site, Beebom, got a DMCA take down request from Microsoft, and Microsoft requested Google to have them delisted from search results.

Why? Because they published an article with a link of the ISO file of Windows 11. The article in question was a guide on how to install Windows 11.

Fossbytes reports:

It is unclear if other sites are being affected, but what we do know is that the Indian site quickly removed not only the ISO, but also the entire article on how to install Windows 11.

The page now leads to 404 page. On the site, there is no mention of Windows 11 anywhere anymore beside small articles on the widely, already leaked infos, like the new background (which might change) and its new sounds.

Source: https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-existence-leak-dmca-complaint/

What do you guys think?

maybe it did and just did this to make us think it didn't, playing mind games on us.

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

I found this rather amusing. It's very easy to find the ISO from a simple Google search; Beebom wasn't the only one hosting it. Not sure why they only went after one site (AFAIK) when there are plenty others doing the same thing. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just now, Benji said:

I never thought that they leaked it themselves, I just keep wondering why people come up with such ideas? Isn't it a bad idea to leak stuff that's beta? Why would they want the possibly negative press in case of issues (like the setup problems on bare metal that people had, but can be circumvented)?

Well, if they did intentionally leak it then it sure got people talking. I'm not sure if I believe that's what they did, but if they did then it was a great way to get some opinions before the announcement next week. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

The OS being leaked on purpose would've made sense, a ton of news sites have articles on Windows 11 and it got everyone taking about it, and companies leak things on purpose.

Although I wonder if Microsoft is going to issue takedowns on people that did videos on Windows 11.

Occam's Razor applies here. It's more likely that this is an unintentional leak than some elaborate scheme to build up hype for the launch event by seeding rough code and cracking down on it. Microsoft's lawyers would break out in hives at the thought of it.

This reminds me of Nintendo going after some sites that shared NES and SNES ROMs, but leaving others alone.

Work that's half done isn't done, if anything it's in a worse state than when you started. Better to have nothing of a house than two planks put up and some nails on the floor.

elephants

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you guys think?

This isn't dmca on everything about win11 and all of the hosting sites.

But it's online, it will be here forever, as there's no dmca countries, like the Netherlands, where the files will remain forever.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

This reminds me of Nintendo going after some sites that shared NES and SNES ROMs, but leaving others alone.

Work that's half done isn't done, if anything it's in a worse state than when you started. Better to have nothing of a house than two planks put up and some nails on the floor.

Nintendo goes after those who make money out of it.

Most site talking about Windows 11, only talk about Windows 11. They aren't having a link to the ISO.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

I never thought that they leaked it themselves, I just keep wondering why people come up with such ideas. Isn't it a bad idea to leak stuff that's beta? Why would they want the possibly negative press in case of issues (like the setup problems on bare metal that people had, but that can be circumvented)?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to leak it. If anything they would lose a lot of wow factor from the June 24th event.

Besides, what is the point of this DMCA? Even if they take down the website the Windows 11 ISO will still exist in the interwebs until Microsoft officially releases out actual version. Seems like a complete time waste IMO

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to leak it. If anything they would lose a lot of wow factor from the June 24th event.

Besides, what is the point of this DMCA? Even if they take down the website the Windows 11 ISO will still exist in the interwebs until Microsoft officially releases out actual version. Seems like a complete time waste IMO

I think it is more about sending a message in the future. And it stops sites like this one, from allowing members distributing pirated software, cracks, and anything not permitted by author(s). We have this rule to protect the forum.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is more about sending a message in the future. And it stops sites like this one, from allowing members distributing pirated software, cracks, and anything not permitted by author(s). We have this rule to protect the forum.

Hmm maybe. But still, when something huge like this leaks, it's bound to at least end up available as a torrent to download.  

On 6/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, RedRound2 said:

Hmm maybe. But still, when something huge like this leaks, it's bound to at least end up available as a torrent to download.  

Yea, but still. And monetary compensation could be requested... the site hasn't put anything about the subject. They just remove everything. You would think they would just remove the link to the ISO, and maybe change the sentence, but nope. All gone. So, we don't know what happened behind doors. And I don't think we will ever know.

Nintendo isn't afraid of taking sites owner to court for everything they have, and Microsoft might still do this to a or some sites after Windows 11 reveal, after the media attention is gone, basically, we don't know. And I don't think anyone is interesting in finding out, us included.

Anyway, Microsoft isn't trying to block the new version. I mean they could just ban all users who signed up with their MS account under the OS. It would be simple, and effective. But I don't think Microsoft wants that kind of attention that it would lead.

The problem with leaks, is that it prevents from a clear message from being delivered. Some people on this very same forum, where thinking that Windows 11 leak ISO, is the final build of Windows 11, and it will launch on June 24th... others said "Oh that's it?"... well no... and the problem is that now you have a group of people now who might no longer be interested in looking at the event, as they made up their mind already, and just keep thinking that Windows 11 is what they saw, this unpolished mess that they saw. Even if they push themselves to watch the event, they already have an opinion, and will be closed minded during the whole thing. They won't be excited and open. First impression counts.

If anything, the DMCA claim proves that Windows 11 is real and will be fully unveiled in a few days. Although, I'd wager that what'll be shown at the Microsoft event will be more feature-complete than the leaked build.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft Japan has registered a DMCA complaint against Beebom, a technology news publication based out of India

Why Microsoft Japan and not Microsoft India

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you guys think?

They have bad security practices that allowed leakage of the said ISO either through an inside job through an employee, or someone infiltrated their networks through something, something sophisticated attack? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, BachChain said:

Why Microsoft Japan and not Microsoft India

Probably because it doesn't have a legal team in charge of this kind of thing there. I don't know... I am just guessing.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

The legal obligation to protect your IP or under the law you forfeit your rights to it, yes that actually is a thing.

Isn't that only with trademarks? You can choose to let people distribute your software for free; many game devs do, condoning the piracy, knowing it will help their reach when they are small time. I've only ever heard of an obligation to defend a trademark in order to keep it, not a copyright.

40 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

You can choose to let people distribute your software for free

There's still a license agreement for that i.e GPLv3.

43 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Isn't that only with trademarks?

Illegal distribution of Windows is also trademark infringement. 

10 hours ago, Commodus said:

Occam's Razor applies here. It's more likely that this is an unintentional leak than some elaborate scheme to build up hype for the launch event by seeding rough code and cracking down on it. Microsoft's lawyers would break out in hives at the thought of it.

This. Honestly, I'll be surprised if any youtubers who made a video installing Win11 gets pulled as well.

The most DMCA aggressive companies out there are Nintendo, WarnerBros (particularly with DC Comics), and doing anything, even fanart, where their trademark is visible is all but certain to get you in trouble, depending on what country you are in. Nintendo isn't as heavy handed in Japan, but is extremely heavy handed on American's. Warner is extremely heavy handed on everyone. Microsoft/Adobe/Autodesk (under BSA) are usually not as heavy handed because they aren't "popular" to make fan-content with, rather the BSA goes after businesses, and individuals who buy second-hand licenses.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

The legal obligation to protect your IP or under the law you forfeit your rights to it, yes that actually is a thing.

I said this DMCA. Implying this DMCA requests for takedown. Don't jump the gun and comment is a condacending way

I know what a DMCA is. I just said that there's no point in doing so

It was a matter of time. Of course, it's in the torrent network now, so it won't actually do much of anything.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

I said this DMCA. Implying this DMCA requests for takedown. Don't jump the gun and comment is a condacending way

I know what a DMCA is. I just said that there's no point in doing so

It wasn't condescending, you asked why and that is why. Also sure a DMCA was issued as that is the correct mechanism to require someone hosting the content to take it down but that act of doing so is also protecting the trademark Windows.

Distribution of Goods and Services comes under trademark as well as copyright.

Your question was rhetorical, that's what it seems like anyway, but there actually is an answer to it.