Super budget birthday present

Budget (including currency): 600 USD, less is better

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light gaming. I would imagine mainly mincraft and fortnite

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): This build is for a friend of mine who has been stuck on console. As stated above, the less money, the better. I don't have a specific list of parts, which is why I needed to post this. I was thinking something with 4 cores and a 1050ti. I will have a parts list ready in due time, I decided to at least get this part out while I perfect my design.

Not 100% sure I'm allowed to post eBay links here, but you can go on eBay and get a used workstation PC for like $250-$300 that'll have a 4th gen i7, with 4 cores and 8 threads. Then you could grab a GTX 970, plop it right in, and you'd be all set.

Those workstation machines are full profile and have decent power supplies, so adding a GPU would be possible. This HP has a 400W unit, and the recommended for the 970 is a 300W unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233899094663?hash=item367578f287:g:x~IAAOSwtW1gLIWW

A GTX 970 is about $250 atm. This build would wipe the floor with a 1050 Ti build.

3 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

Not 100% sure I'm allowed to post eBay links here, but you can go on eBay and get a used workstation PC for like $250-$300 that'll have a 4th gen i7, with 4 cores and 8 threads. Then you could grab a GTX 970, plop it right in, and you'd be all set.

Those workstation machines are full profile and have decent power supplies, so adding a GPU would be possible.

A GTX 970 is about $250 atm. This build would wipe the floor with a 1050 Ti build.

Does the PSU in that have PCIe power connectors?

Just now, wavem2 said:

Not 100% sure I'm allowed to post eBay links here, but you can go on eBay and get a used workstation PC for like $250-$300 that'll have a 4th gen i7, with 4 cores and 8 threads. Then you could grab a GTX 970, plot it right in, and you'd be all set.

Those workstation machines are full profile and have decent power supplies, so adding a GPU would be possible.

I was actually going to do that, but he is a very close freind and I wanted to give hime something 'unique'. Also, it gives me practice in stretching a budget. I already have some parts in storage I can use, and I can always get open box/used parts if needed.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I have no idea. Though if it doesn't, you can always just get a simple dual molex to 6-pin adapter. Or SATA to 6-pin. I wouldn't be worried about potential fire hazards as HP makes quality power supplies and the GTX 970 is a relatively low power card compared to most newer options.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

a 1050ti wouldn't need one

6 minutes ago, justconstruction said:

I was actually going to do that, but he is a very close freind and I wanted to give hime something 'unique'. Also, it gives me practice in stretching a budget. I already have some parts in storage I can use, and I can always get open box/used parts if needed.

If you want unique for $600, the hardware will be significantly worse. I don't think you understand what the PC parts market is like at the moment. If you want the computer to be pretty, you're going to have to seriously give up the quality of the hardware.

Your friend is either going to have a good computer, or a pretty computer. It's sad that we've come to this point, but it's just how it is. If you want to give them a good impression of the PC experience and have fun, then a used workstation with a used graphics card is a far better option.

3 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

If you want unique for $600, the hardware will be significantly worse. I don't think you understand what the PC parts market is like at the moment. If you want the computer to be pretty, you're going to have to seriously give up the quality of the hardware.

Your friend is either going to have a good computer, or a pretty computer. It's sad that we've come to this point, but it's just how it is. If you want to give them a good impression of the PC experience and have fun, then a used workstation with a used graphics card is a far better option.

I am aware of the current parts market, I already have half of the computer already sitting in storage (I have a lot of extra parts). All that I need to purchase is a cpu and mobo. I actually just found an extra 1030 lying around.

6 minutes ago, justconstruction said:

I am aware of the current parts market, I already have half of the computer already sitting in storage (I have a lot of extra parts). All that I need to purchase is a cpu and mobo. I actually just found an extra 1030 lying around.

If you have a case, RAM, a power supply, fans, and storage, then that is great.

I beg of you not to use that GT 1030. The experience of gaming on a GT 1030 is terrible. If you only need a CPU and motherboard, then I think you should also get a GPU while you're at it. 

It's understandable if you don't want to spend any more than you have to, but if you want your friend to have a good experience, get a GPU that's actually made for gaming.

Just now, wavem2 said:

If you have a case, RAM, a power supply, fans, and storage, then that is great.

I beg of you not to use that GT 1030. The experience of gaming on a GT 1030 is terrible. If you only need a CPU and motherboard, then I think you should also get a GPU while you're at it.

True, I have a friend who might be able to help me though. 

37 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

I have no idea. Though if it doesn't, you can always just get a simple dual molex to 6-pin adapter. Or SATA to 6-pin. I wouldn't be worried about potential fire hazards as HP makes quality power supplies and the GTX 970 is a relatively low power card compared to most newer options.

I would advise not doing that. IMG_20200502_131839.thumb.jpg.83be889e95e37b3804b825e7e4cad05e.jpgIMG_20200502_131832.thumb.jpg.4a44fb8501e069795c77e25c61e54809.jpg

This was powering a GTX 950. It almost started a fire in one of my PC's, I caught the smell and figured it out pretty fast.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I would advise not doing that. IMG_20200502_131839.thumb.jpg.83be889e95e37b3804b825e7e4cad05e.jpgIMG_20200502_131832.thumb.jpg.4a44fb8501e069795c77e25c61e54809.jpg

This was powering a GTX 950. It almost started a fire in one of my PC's, I caught the smell and figured it out pretty fast.

Jesus Christ. I did this for a while on a POS 450W PSU to power an RX 570 and it was always fine... guess I'm lucky I didn't start a fire. Either with the dumpster fire PSU or with the molex.

Is there any way to get 6 pin power from a PSU that lacks it safely?

@wavem2I have two ASRock B450M Pro4s in storage. I have used the ASRock Pro series before, and they perform well as a budget/ beginner mobo. If I go with ryzen, I won't have to buy a motherboard, which will allow me to spend some more on the GPU and CPU.