Need new Motherboard, any suggestions?

Hey all,

I'm currently building my first PC. I have all the parts but I've discovered the motherboard I bought (the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi) is faulty in some way and is continiously causing issues getting the PC up and running, with the main issues being BSODs during attempts to install Windows10.
With two friends of mine who have built PCs in the past, we confirmed none of my other components have any issues so we're left to assume the problems lie with the motherboard.

My other components/parts are as follows:

• CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GPU - EVGA RTX 2060 XC
  • CASE - NZXT H510
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 - 3600 MHz - 2x16GB
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5
  • SSD - Samsung 980 PRO 500GB PCIe 4.0 M.2
  • (Hard drive will be bought after the motherboard has been picked but am looking to get a seagate 4TB HDD)

I have no idea which motherboard would be a better pick, or at the very least the next best thing, than the model that was faulty.
One of my friends who helped me build the PC initially recommended the MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI, however PCPartpicker tells me that with my case it would need a header adapter for the case's front USB and there may not be enough clearence in some areas of the case, though it won't tell me where it might have space issues.
The only other recommendation I've been given is getting a B450 model with the caveat being that would be harder/more expensive to upgrade certain parts in the future.
As far as I can tell for my purposes it would be best to get an ATX model motherboard.

It may be possible to just get the motherboard that was faulty replaced with the same model but after this experience I don't know if I should.
Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

27 minutes ago, Sealion said:

• (Hard drive will be bought after the motherboard has been picked but am looking to get a seagate 4TB HDD)

There's one  4TB 7200rpm for 92$ cheaper than the seagate https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J2KcCJ/seagate-exos-enterprise-4-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st4000nm0035 

One of my friends who helped me build the PC initially recommended the MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI, however PCPartpicker tells me that with my case it would need a header adapter for the case's front USB and there may not be enough clearence in some areas of the case, though it won't tell me where it might have space issues.
The only other recommendation I've been given is getting a B450 model with the caveat being that would be harder/more expensive to upgrade certain parts in the future.
As far as I can tell for my purposes it would be best to get an ATX model motherboard.

It may be possible to just get the motherboard that was faulty replaced with the same model but after this experience I don't know if I should.
Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

For the MB go with the B550 strix wifi its cheaper or same price and better no need for x570 MB, the strix can handle 5900x out of the box

i would take a closer look at the CPU for bent pins as they are very hard to see and may not be obvious they are bent. i would also try removing the BIOS battry from the board to do a hard reset of the board to see if its really the board that is causing the issue or is it a software problem.

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

i would take a closer look at the CPU for bent pins as they are very hard to see and may not be obvious they are bent. i would also try removing the BIOS battry from the board to do a hard reset of the board to see if its really the board that is causing the issue or is it a software problem.

CPU definitely doesn't have any bent pins, I checked that as soon as I got it.

Do you mean boot the PC with the BIOS battery removed? Wouldn't that cause more issues?

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

There's one  4TB 7200rpm for 92$ cheaper than the seagate https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J2KcCJ/seagate-exos-enterprise-4-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st4000nm0035 

For the MB go with the B550 strix wifi its cheaper or same price and better no need for x570 MB, the strix can handle 5900x out of the box

Actually for me that one you linked is roughly £30 to £40 more expensive from Amazon UK than the other Seagate 4TB models but thanks anyways.
The B550 Strix Wifi is currently out of stock on Amazon UK but I'll keep an eye out on it. Cheers

2 minutes ago, Sealion said:

CPU definitely doesn't have any bent pins, I checked that as soon as I got it.

Do you mean boot the PC with the BIOS battery removed? Wouldn't that cause more issues?

sorry its the CMOS battery not thje BIOS battery as i named it. and no i mean just remove the battery with the computer turned off and unplugged from the wall. the CMOS is a chip that stores info like the system date and time. removing the battery will cause a hard reset of the system in which you could start over to make sure its the motherboard and not a software issue.

of course if you bought this board used then it could be this battery itself, if you bought it new then i would contact MSI for an RMA.

9 minutes ago, Sealion said:

Actually for me that one you linked is roughly £30 to £40 more expensive from Amazon UK than the other Seagate 4TB models but thanks anyways.

Here's another one https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/bZmxFT/toshiba-x300-4tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-hdwe140ezsta 

The B550 Strix Wifi is currently out of stock on Amazon UK but I'll keep an eye out on it. Cheers

Its in stock but not necessary from amazon there are more stores here https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vFhmP6/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi 

On 6/20/2021 at 3:27 PM, Omar.B said:

PCPartpicker tells me this for that motherboard with the parts I already have.
image.thumb.png.ce7f67950d1df7ccc6255e7ead7262f1.png

A USB C header/adapter thing I don't mind getting but I'm concerned at the dimension restrictions note.

6 minutes ago, Sealion said:

PCPartpicker tells me this for that motherboard with the parts I already have.
image.thumb.png.ce7f67950d1df7ccc6255e7ead7262f1.png

A USB C header/adapter thing I don't mind getting but I'm concerned at the dimension restrictions note.

I would say change the case since it have a bad airflow and choke the parts but I don't know if you already have it this one is better for same price 4000D airflow

the second one just never mind it, It mean the CPU cooler could block the Ram so you might be able to install the ram in that stick/s that is near to the CPU but always put them from right to left put the first Ram on the first stick and the second Ram on the third one in tech way A2 B2

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

I would say change the case since it have a bad airflow and choke the parts but I don't know if you already have it this one is better for same price 4000D airflow

the second one just never mind it, It mean the CPU cooler could block the Ram so you might be able to install the ram in that stick/s that is near to the CPU but always put them from right to left put the first Ram on the first stick and the second Ram on the third one in tech way A2 B2

PCPartpicker is giving me the exact same notes for the 4000D case, and yes I said in the OP I already have the NZXT case.

3 minutes ago, Sealion said:

PCPartpicker is giving me the exact same notes for the 4000D case,

Site

3 minutes ago, Sealion said:

and yes I said in the OP I already have the NZXT case.

The fans should always be oriented front to back, with front fans pulling cool air in, and top and rear fans pulling air out! Since the H510 has a solid front, the fans have to work even harder to get any cool air into the case. I would recommend at the very minimum, moving that top fan to the front. And remove side panel 

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

Site

I get it's a good case but this doesn't seem to answer anything about my issues about the notes PCPartpicker is giving me

2 minutes ago, Sealion said:

I get it's a good case but this doesn't seem to answer anything about my issues about the notes PCPartpicker is giving me

The first one mean you wont be able to use a 3.2 gen 2 or 1 usb type C header since the board does not support it 

The second one mean you might need a tall heat spreader  you can ask the place you are buying the cooler from to include it 

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

The first one mean you wont be able to use a 3.2 gen 2 or 1 usb type C header since the board does not support it 

The second one mean you might need a tall heat spreader  you can ask the place you are buying the cooler from to include it 

I know all that what I'm saying is it doesn't make a difference (other than more airflow) and I already have the NZXT case so your recommendation to buy another case is a waste of money for me since it literally doesn't make a difference other than spending more money.

19 minutes ago, Sealion said:

I know all that what I'm saying is it doesn't make a difference (other than more airflow) and I already have the NZXT case so your recommendation to buy another case is a waste of money for me since it literally doesn't make a difference other than spending more money.

No you can just stick with it its just you wont take the advantage of the usb type C header and remove the tempered side panel if you wanna improve thermals thats it 

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

No you can just stick with it its just you wont take the advantage of the usb type C header and remove the tempered side panel if you wanna improve thermals thats it 

But like I said, PCPartpicker said I also won't be able to use the type C in the 4000D Airflow either

15 minutes ago, Sealion said:

But like I said PCPartpicker, said I also won't be able to use the type C in the 4000D Airflow either

if you dont need a type C header then its ok 

ps : Strix B550-F has one USB 3.2 20pin header beside its 24pin ATX power connector and NZXT H510i has one front panel Type C USB 3.1 Gen 2 port with internal Type C A-Key connector that goes right into our adapter. You will have full speed of Type C USB 3.1 Gen 2 with this adapter. source amazon

1 hour ago, Omar.B said:

if you dont need a type C header then its ok 

ps : Strix B550-F has one USB 3.2 20pin header beside its 24pin ATX power connector and NZXT H510i has one front panel Type C USB 3.1 Gen 2 port with internal Type C A-Key connector that goes right into our adapter. You will have full speed of Type C USB 3.1 Gen 2 with this adapter. source amazon

which adapter?

Get 500 series only, it'll definitely be better in the future, they also are newer and have most of the bugs worked out.

Your either really unlucky with a faulty board, or something else is wrong. Either way, B550 was definitely the right choice.

IMO gigabyte and asus make the best 500 series boards. 

My favorites are:

• Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2, an amazing value for high end overclocking
  • Asus strix B550-f gaming, very popular

The B550 Aorus Master allows 3 m.2 at 4.0 speeds. It'll use 8 of the 16 GPU lanes for the GPU and use the other 8 to give 4 each to the extra 2 m.2s. Very expensive though, at that point their are decent x570 boards