Is CL18 a big performance hit over CL16?

I use a R7 5800x and I am choosing between 16GB of Trident Z Neo 3600mhz CL16 and 32GB of Trident Z Neo 3600mhz CL18. 16GB costs 194,72€ (+15€ shipping) and 32GB costs 214,99€.

What is better bang for a buck? I suppose the 32GB kit. But is it much slower than 16GB kit?

I should make clear that the 32GB kit is 2x16GB and the 16GB kit is 2x8GB.

Edit: none of the kits have C on the end, they aren't GTZNC but GTZN

No. The 32GB kit is certainly the better deal here.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

No. The 32GB kit is certainly the better deal here.

Does it run much slower tho?

If you use more than 16GB of ram, it doesn't matter how low the latency is, you'll take a huge performance hit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

If you use more than 16GB of ram, it doesn't matter how low the latency is, you'll take a huge performance hit.

Why is that?

3 minutes ago, akranjc71 said:

Why is that?

If you run a program that needs more memory than you actually have, it will have to run on the page file of your storage drive. In windows that defaults to your boot drive, which I assume will be an SSD for you. An SSD is a lot slower than DDR4 (though the effect would be even worse with an HDD)

conversely, you will not gain any extra performance if you are not using more than 16GB of ram. Only playing video games, and you have 32GB of ram in your system? If your ram usage is under 16GB at all times, that extra 16GB on top will be sitting idle, doing nothing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Some small gains can be had on both Intel and AMD systems by having dual rank memory modules, or faked dual rank memory modules (4x8 single rank will behave like dual rank). This usually comes with more memory, but the increase in memory amount isn't what really improves performance, it's the configuration. 

Is it worth the extra money? That's hard to say. It's usually single digit gains.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

If you run a program that needs more memory than you actually have, it will have to run on the page file of your storage drive. In windows that defaults to your boot drive, which I assume will be an SSD for you. An SSD is a lot slower than DDR4 (though the effect would be even worse with an HDD)

conversely, you will not gain any extra performance if you are not using more than 16GB of ram. Only playing video games, and you have 32GB of ram in your system? If your ram usage is under 16GB at all times, that extra 16GB on top will be sitting idle, doing nothing.

Oh, you meant the 16GB kit. I don't actually know what the RAM usage will be since the most RAM I've ever had is 8GB, but I'm planning to do rendering, virtualization, I will have many tabs opened in Chrome and on top of that I'll play games and stream and record them.

2 minutes ago, akranjc71 said:

Oh, you meant the 16GB kit. I don't actually know what the RAM usage will be since the most RAM I've ever had is 8GB, but I'm planning to do rendering, virtualization, I will have many tabs opened in Chrome and on top of that I'll play games and stream and record them.

with virtualization, I think you will want as much ram as you can get, so the 32GB kit is a lot more appealing.

Primary PC:

I can run my ram pretty quick.. I can use tight timings as well. I have no qualms using 1.6v on my ram. That being said. I can lean on my system hard in a single rank config, and still not be able to make up the difference from running slower speeds in dual rank. For sure you will see more performance everywhere running 4x8 vs 2x8. Might not be a huge gain, but a gain is a gain. And up to 10% is hard to walk away from if you can get the ram cheap or you already have it..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143