ASUS B550-F still has DRAM light on/flashing after RMA "repair"

NobleGamer
Go to solution Solved by Helpful Tech Witch,

This is probably a bad CPU, looks like the memory controler might be dying.

TL;DR: PC will not post because of DRAM light on mobo, replacing RAM didnt help, did a mobo ASUS RMA that may have accomplished nothing, and I'm at a loss for what the most likely root cause is.

Base components: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16, AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU, Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W PSU, Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

Additional non-essential parts, specs, and pics are at my PCPP completed build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vvcqqs

Problem: Every other time PC would start up or unsuspend, it will not POST, orange DRAM light would be on or flash once per second with no display output and no beeps. I would have to hard shutdown and power back on.

Attempting to use the restart button would trigger the DRAM flight to flash once per second. Some or all fan's white LED lights would flash in sync with that.

Initial troubleshooting steps:

• After a first call to ASUS and Corsair, I exchanged RAM for same exact part (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) which is on ASUS QVL for mobo & 5000 series CPU
  • Removed a RAM stick (it might've made the problem less frequent at first)
  • Moved single RAM stick between B2 and A2
  • Start up PC on its side and not upright
  • Flashback with latest Beta and stable BIOS
  • Shorted BIOS jumper to clear BIOS RAM

Sometime after the RAM swap but not right after, the PC would encounter the problem more often than every other time.

This may have occurred before or after I upgraded from stock cooler to ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO. I ensured to use the backplate provided with the mobo, the standoffs provided by Arctic, and only handtightened screws, trying not to overtighten.

ASUS "RMA"

I called ASUS again to troubleshoot the mobo since I replaced the RAM and I requested an Advance RMA, since that was mentioned in docs I got with the mobo. After I shipped my mobo to ASUS with their label, I chatted online with support to say that I never got the link for deposit for Advance RMA. They escalated my case for review, and I got a reply that "In accordance to the recommendation of our Facility, this is mail in/out RMA, not advance ship, so you won't receive charge form." So I never got a link to submit deposit for shipping a replacement sooner, like the phone rep said I would.

2 weeks after I shipped the item, RMA was complete and I got the same exact mobo sent back to me if the ID number stickers staying the same on top of the SATA ports and another one elsewhere were any indication (neither appear to be THE "serial number"). Also, see attachment, which has the same exact serial (twice) that matches mine, doesnt describe any problem, and just says "test ok" in the Problem column.

Additional troubleshooting steps:

• Due to RMA, every single connecting part got reseated to mobo.
  • See also Initial Troubleshooting steps.
  • Completely remove GPU.
  • Completely remove CMOS battery for a few minutes.
  • BIOS Flashback to yet most recent BIOS Beta and non-Beta versions (as of today).
  • Remove all non-CPU fans.
  • Remove optional 4 PIN EATX power connector.
  • Remove all external USB connectors
  • Remove SATA drives (HDD and DVD).
  • Loosen every CPU cooler screw by at least half a turn.

Searches for this issue here and on the internet indicate possible root causes include:

• Motherboard (I cant rule out if ASUS didnt fix my mobo)
  • CPU (but why would DRAM light = CPU issue?)
  • RAM (mostly ruled out given replacement, unless serial's ver # is bad - ASUS told me ver doesnt matter)
  • BIOS (mostly ruled out since I have used 4+ revisions since 5600X launch)

My questions:

• Did ASUS actually fix my mobo, or did they think my mobo was fine and ship it back to me? See attachment.
  • Does their test result suggest that CPU is more likely a root cause? Please tell me that AMD RMA process is smoother...
  • If most likely root cause is still mobo, how do I get ASUS to actually fix the issue or send me a new mobo?
  • If ASUS is the way to go, what else can I do to get an Advance RMA where replacement is shipped to me in advance of the repair?

Thank you in advance.

PhotoGrid_1624129040815(1).jpg

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

21 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Thanks, makes just as much sense as anything. Figured a CPU issue would be binary: It works or doesn't. Will try an AMD RMA and hope that resolves it.

BTW when my issues get sorted out I'll contribute my 3080 and 680 BIOSs to your DB.

5 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

Thanks, makes just as much sense as anything. Figured a CPU issue would be binary: It works or doesn't. Will try an AMD RMA and hope that resolves it.

BTW when my issues get sorted out I'll contribute my 3080 and 680 BIOSs to your DB.

Yeah,  since the memory controler is on the cpu nowadays, the memory controler can be the only thing dead, and that causes a dram error

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I have now marked "bad CPU" as the answer, as AMD received my RMA and they approved sending me a replacement.

For reference to any other poor souls dealing with this type of issue:

• Be extremely careful with removing the cooler from the CPU. Follow your cooler's recommendations. I have heard that pulling the detached stock cooler straight off the CPU can damage pins, so I twisted the cooler clockwise & counter clockwise a few times while pulling straight off slowly and that loosens the "grip" from thermal paste between CPU & cooler.
  • Any nicks or scratches can void the RMA/warranty, especially if it obscures the id numbers or QR code on the CPU.
  • Return/replace RAM, mobo, and CPU parts for troubleshooting as quickly as possible with the retailer you purchased from. Otherwise, RMAs (including shipping) can take 2 weeks, even if the manufacturer turns it around quickly (ASUS = 1-2 days, AMD = 1 day). Shipping services that pickup from home may add an extra day or 2 on to shipping time. It will make you wish you had an extended retailer warranty, when all you need to do is be dilligent about returns in the return period, though I recognize that replacement on return to retailer may be restricted by their supply.

AMD RMA tips:

• They will ask for: A photo of your processor installed in the motherboard socket clearly showing the model and serial number. Please also write your service request number on a piece of paper and include it in the picture such that both CPU serial number and service request number are clearly legible.
  • Ensure to have the BIOS version handy.
  • Be sure to follow all of their shipping & RMA tips that they provide as links via email
  • So far, they dont provide tracking info on their replacement shipment. They just say I should get it in 5 days and to contact support if it doesnt arrive in that time.