Which VR Headset to buy?

TDCTomas

I've been wanting to get into VR for the past while and I was planning on buying a Quest 2 over the summer. I was annoyed about the Facebook stuff, but I thought it was worth, but I am super not doing now after what they have started doing recently.

So I was looking around at other headsets and the one that stood out to me was the HP reverb g2. My only real concern is whether it will be supported for long.

Personally I don't think it would be worth paying over double for a Valve Index or a Pimax (although the higher refresh rates are enticing, if they are as good as everyone says), especially because I would rather not have to mount 2 base stations in my room (even with the slight tracking problem the reverb is said to have).

I'm hoping to use the headset for a mix of VR games (Such as Alyx) and sim stuff (Elite, F1...)

Basically I'd just like some opinions on the matter.

Thanks

Also how CPU bottlenecked am I gonna be:

i7 3960x

32 GB DDR3

2080 Ti

(And yes, I know it may look like it but the price does matter here, I only actually spent 400 euros on my PC, I got most of it 2nd hand off my cousin. I was very lucky :D).

11 minutes ago, TDCDigital said:

I've been wanting to get into VR for the past while and I was planning on buying a Quest 2 over the summer. I was annoyed about the Facebook stuff, but I thought it was worth, but I am super not doing now after what they have started doing recently.

So I was looking around at other headsets and the one that stood out to me was the HP reverb g2. My only real concern is whether it will be supported for long.

Personally I don't think it would be worth paying over double for a Valve Index or a Pimax (although the higher refresh rates are enticing, if they are as good as everyone says), especially because I would rather not have to mount 2 base stations in my room (even with the slight tracking problem the reverb is said to have).

I'm hoping to use the headset for a mix of VR games (Such as Alyx) and sim stuff (Elite, F1...)

Basically I'd just like some opinions on the matter.

Thanks

Also how CPU bottlenecked am I gonna be:

i7 3960x

32 GB DDR3

2080 Ti

(And yes, I know it may look like it but the price does matter here, I only actually spent 400 euros on my PC, I got most of it 2nd hand off my cousin. I was very lucky :D).

VR despite being messed about with for many years is still a very young technology.  This means acceptably useful equipment is often expensive and also likely to be outmoded quickly.  It’s just not very budget friendly atm and likely won’t be for years.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

VR despite being messed about with for many years is still a very young technology.  This means acceptably useful equipment is often expensive and also likely to be outmoded quickly.  It’s just not very budget friendly atm and likely won’t be for years.

Yeah, I realise I'm going to have to spend a decent chuck of cash, but I've been saving for this and I am willing to spend money on it, but that doesn't mean I can't also look at it from a more value oriented perspective.

1 hour ago, TDCDigital said:

Yeah, I realise I'm going to have to spend a decent chuck of cash, but I've been saving for this and I am willing to spend money on it, but that doesn't mean I can't also look at it from a more value oriented perspective.

Well Facebook is off the table for you and there are a very limited number of other developers of the technology. There is basically nothing right at facebook’s level though there appear to be things above and below it.  You are also discounting the stuff above facebooks level because of lack of “value oriented perspective” ie they’re too expensive, so that leaves below, and that stuff is significantly less powerful.  The problem is that those systems won’t play the games you want to play because they aren’t strong enough.  The question seems to be “is there anything at facebook’s power level or above that isn’t Facebook but also costs the same?” No.  No there isn’t, and Facebook knows that or they wouldn’t e pulling the things they are pulling.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've got a quest 2, and frankly, for the price point, you cannot beat it. If you have the money, go ahead. But more things are coming in the future for VR, so just know that new innovations are always in development and features may increase tenfold on newer generations/releases.

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well Facebook is off the table for you and there are a very limited number of other developers of the technology. There is basically nothing right at facebook’s level though there appear to be things above and below it.  You are also discounting the stuff above facebooks level because of lack of “value oriented perspective” ie they’re too expensive, so that leaves below, and that stuff is significantly less powerful.  The problem is that those systems won’t play the games you want to play because they aren’t strong enough.  The question seems to be “is there anything at facebook’s power level or above that isn’t Facebook but also costs the same?” No.  No there isn’t, and Facebook knows that or they wouldn’t e pulling the things they are pulling.

Ok, maybe "value oriented perspective" was the wrong way to put it. I more meant along the lines of "I am willing to pay more than the cost of the Quest 2, but is it worth going all the way to an Index/Pimax". I haven't discounted the stuff more expensive than the Quest 2 because of the price, as I said I know this would cost a decent amount of money and in my original Post I said I was looking at the Reverb g2. I guess my main question was whether it is worth saving until I can afford a Index/Pimax or are the improvements not worth the increase in cost.

5 hours ago, TDCDigital said:

Ok, maybe "value oriented perspective" was the wrong way to put it. I more meant along the lines of "I am willing to pay more than the cost of the Quest 2, but is it worth going all the way to an Index/Pimax". I haven't discounted the stuff more expensive than the Quest 2 because of the price, as I said I know this would cost a decent amount of money and in my original Post I said I was looking at the Reverb g2. I guess my main question was whether it is worth saving until I can afford a Index/Pimax or are the improvements not worth the increase in cost.

Ah.  Because of the games you want to play and the way cheaper systems treat them my suspicion is yes.  I don’t have a hard or good answer though.  Others may.  
Some of it is personal (will X give specifically you motion sickness or not) when Facebook chose to tie the occulous systems to their business model people not willing to deal with that model (which imho should be everyone but it appears not to be and is neither here nor there) have fewer choices.  I suspect one of the lower end systems will grow into the spot, or one of the higher end systems will release a lower end version to take it over.  Quality levels in VR have been moving upward fast though so it may simply be passed by.  The Facebook system seems to be to use a different form of value besides money. One that many people do or did not recognize as being value till it was too late.  So the oculus system may actually be far more expensive than the others. It merely that what you have to pay to get it is potentially more valuable and the value changes from person to person.

Edited by Bombastinator