Help With Laptop Storage Expansion

A4N0NYM0U52

I was wondering, what SSD could I get that would be compatible with my laptop, now that I got an SSD, and found out it was incompatible. I got a Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, but it was incompatible because of NVME. The registry is 15-cc665cl, and I have a guide. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06248419 (P.S I'm like half asleep.)

1 hour ago, A4N0NYM0U52 said:

I was wondering, what SSD could I get that would be compatible with my laptop, now that I got an SSD, and found out it was incompatible. I got a Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, but it was incompatible because of NVME. The registry is 15-cc665cl, and I have a guide. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06248419 (P.S I'm like half asleep.)

That link is to a 102 page manual, and the first page just says it is an hp pavilion.  HP has been making laptops with that name for a really long time so it’s not really helpful.  We need the model of the laptop to even have a hope here.  This sounds like it might be a key issue.  Nvme SSDs are often M key.  There are of course a bunch of other keys.  Common ones are B key, which is a sata6 thing.  Such things can be hard to find because they’re slow and are often unwanted.  Western Digital I think has some.  Another common one is E key which is specifically for wifi. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That link is to a 102 page manual, and the first page just says it is an hp pavilion.  HP has been making laptops with that name for a really long time so it’s not really helpful.  We need the model of the laptop to even have a hope here.  This sounds like it might be a key issue.  Nvme SSDs are often M key.  There are of course a bunch of other keys.  Common ones are B key, which is a sata6 thing.  Such things can be hard to find because they’re slow and are often unwanted.  Western Digital I think has some.  Another common one is E key which is specifically for wifi. 

RTFM lmao

Its literally in there

1 hour ago, A4N0NYM0U52 said:

You need a SATA m.2 drive, non nvme. You also can’t use the drive if there’s an optane module in the system, but you can use two m.2 sata ssds at the same time.

If you have one in there remove the optane module and then install the nvme ssd and see if it can work in sata mode, sometimes these drives can do that, not always.

6 hours ago, 8tg said:

RTFM lmao

Its literally in there

You need a SATA m.2 drive, non nvme. You also can’t use the drive if there’s an optane module in the system, but you can use two m.2 sata ssds at the same time.

If you have one in there remove the optane module and then install the nvme ssd and see if it can work in sata mode, sometimes these drives can do that, not always.

Okay, how would I place the SATA drive in the laptop? Would I need to remove the hard drive?

A hundred and two pages.  You want me to read a hundred and two pages because you can’t be bothered to find out what model laptop you have?  Yeah.  No.  You might need a b-key drive.  They’re normally only put in older laptops which you might have. It was a ddr3 thing, but not even all ddr3 machines use b-key. To make it more fun, the thing is an HP.  HP had a habit in the past of doing weird proprietary things to save small amounts of money manufacturing things.  It’s possible it could be a not common key.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.