1 GPU fan stuck at 100%, other fan tries to spin but can't... is this a fan or sensor failure?

xInfinity117

I've noticed in the last week that the fan noise has been crazy sometimes with my 3080. I've been trying everything I can think of this morning but haven't gotten anywhere...

All 3 fans spin fine and normally from a completely cold boot and then turns off as normal with the 0db mode. Temps are all normal ~38-40C idle.

If I start a game or some kind of load and the fans eventually kick as they should, the fan noise is incredibly loud. Looking at it the 1st (left) fan is spinning crazy at 100% full blast, middle fan seems to spin normally and the 3rd (right) fan is not spinning (or does the occasional twitch to look like it's trying to spin). This also happens when I try to set a static fan speed in Afterburner after the fans have switched off or a custom fan curve from startup even at system idle.

This is what it looks like: https://streamable.com/9fy3u4

There's nothing obstructing the fan to prevent it from spinning. When I start from a cold boot and set the fan speed to like 60% it can sometimes continue to spin fine at idle. If I then add a load to the GPU like Heaven or a game, the right fan spins until the GPU hits ~56-57C and then stops causing the first to spin at 100%. From what I've read it seems like the fan sensor for 1st and 3rd fans on the TUF 3080 are the same? Seeing as the fan can spin normally from a cold boot until a certain temperature - is this more likely to be a failing sensor rather than fan or something like a loose connection?

This seems more like a hardware issues rather than software... do I have any other options or will I need to RMA? 😞

I haven't made any recent changes to my system - Ryzen 7 3700x, ASUS TUF RTX 3080, 32gb 3200mhz DDR4.

Windows 10. Nvidia driver 466.77 (reinstalled already using DDU). vBIOS version 94.02.42.40.64 (or v4.0 on ASUS website, it doesn't let me install v5.0) installed in April when Resizeable BAR came out.

Sounds like what one of my graphics cards does when one fan is stuck, only one fan feeds speed so when it's stopped the other goes full blast.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Sounds like what one of my graphics cards does when one fan is stuck, only one fan feeds speed so when it's stopped the other goes full blast.

That's what I thought too when I tried looking up this problem but there's nothing obstructing the fans that I can see to prevent it from spinning 

sounds like firmware issue if the fan spins just fine on startup but doesnt spin under load

is there significantly more resistance to the fan?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

sounds like firmware issue if the fan spins just fine on startup but doesnt spin under load

is there significantly more resistance to the fan?

No it appears to spin normally initially and sounds the same.

It also doesn't spin properly on idle once the initial startup fan spin stops. It's just easier to reproduce this problem under load.

17 minutes ago, xInfinity117 said:

No it appears to spin normally initially and sounds the same.

It also doesn't spin properly on idle once the initial startup fan spin stops. It's just easier to reproduce this problem under load.

tried it in other systems?

fresh windows install?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Exact same behaviour is seen when put in another system. I don't think this is software.