Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gigabyte Announced New AMD X570S Series Motherboards with Passively Cooled Chipsets

xaJBbLpK7kWxsbT272ctiP.thumb.png.c56c8263281f9f26c6de5620c415c461.png

Summary

Gigabyte recently announced new AMD X570S chipset motherboards that will allow for a passively cooled chipset design instead of an actively cooled design using a chipset fan. The flagship motherboard, named X570S AORUS MASTER, will have 16-phase direct digital power design for more solid power management and optimized overclocking performance. 

“AMD is excited for the launch of new and innovative X570 motherboards, bringing even more offerings to the AMD socket AM4 platform,” said Chris Kilburn, corporate vice president and general manager, client component business unit, AMD. “These new motherboards will continue to showcase the groundbreaking performance of the AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series processors, maximizing the potential for enthusiasts, gamers, and content creators alike.”

From Gigabyte, the X570S lineup will have 2.5 GbE LAN, select X570S AORUS motherboards will feature WiFi 6- in addition to WiFi 6E 802.11ax wireless network, front USB 3.2 Type-C interface. Gigabyte's X570S motherboards are using a larger heatsink for the chipset, allowing for the removal of the chipset fan, while maintaining the same heat dissipation efficiency. This removes the pitfalls of the chipset fan such as noise and having to dust the fan. Gigabyte enhanced the power supply delivery of X570S motherboards for the "ultimate performance" of AMD Ryzen 5000 series processors. Most of Gigabyte's motherboards will have at least 14 phases digital power design on each ATX motherboard in the X570S AORUS series. 

The high-end model X570S AORUS MASTER boasts a 16-phase direct digital power design with each Power Stage phase capable of managing up to 70A for lower impedance and improved loading balance of power phases, just like the flagship model X570 AORUS XTREME motherboard. With 16-phase to work with, the power demand is evenly processed by each phase to avoid long-time high loading operation of one single phase with further reduction of the heat and power consumption. This improve the overall power efficiency, durability and service life of the motherboard, which enabling users to maximize the overclocking potential on the AMD Ryzen™ 5000 desktop processors without the concerns of overclocking failures or diminished performance caused by unstable or overheated power supply.

My thoughts

I'm excited to see these new X570S motherboard come out, especially seeing the passively cooled chipset design over actively cooled just for noise and reliability of the motherboard over time, without worrying about the chipset fan dying and needing to zip-tie a fan on to cool. I've read more into the X570S motherboards and it appears other motherboard manufacturers, such as ASUS and MSI, have a plan to release their own X570S motherboards in Q3 2021. 

Sources

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-now-offers-amd-x570s-series-motherboards-with-extreme-silent-cooling.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-launhces-amd-x570s-aorus-motherboards

PSU Tier List  || Graphics Card Tier List || CPU Cooler Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Community Standards 

Black Mesa Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I think Steve@GN said there is no such chipset called X570S. Just the original X570 with some BIOS tweaks so that it does not generate that much heat.

9 minutes ago, Icarus_Radio said:

I think Steve@GN said there is no such chipset called X570S. Just the original X570 with some BIOS tweaks so that it does not generate that much heat.

You could be right. I've read online that it's a newer AGESA update that results in lower power draw of the same X570 chipset, which means less heat dissipation. 

PSU Tier List  || Graphics Card Tier List || CPU Cooler Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Community Standards 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Or they could just use their older heatsink designs...which do as well with less material.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Or they could just use their older heatsink designs...which do as well with less material.

That would be amazing if they could do so...It just comes down to marketing and making money at this point. 

23 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

other motherboard manufacturers, such as ASUS and MSI, have a plan to release their own X570S motherboards in Q3 2021. 

So on top of the TUF X570-PLUS, TUF X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi), X570-F, X570-F (Wi-Fi), and X570-E we'll also possibly have the TUF X570S-PLUS, TUF X570S-PLUS (Wi-Fi), X570-SF, X570-SF (Wi-Fi), and X570-SE (guesses at names)?

Lovely. Just more on the pile of products that do the same thing with a few tweaks.

I am curious if the X570S versions of the boards will make the non-S versions drop in price. I don't mind a chipset fan so if the X570-E drops in price due to the X570-SE all the better.

REFRESH BEFORE RESPOND, I EDITED MY POST

• Forums
  • Community Standards
  • All Activity
  • My Activity Streams 
  • More 
  •  All Activity
  •  
  •  Mark site read
  •  
  •  Create 
  • Home 
  •  
  • Settings

Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

•  Images are not allowed
  •  
  •  Maximum of 10 URLs
  •  
  •  Maximum of 30 lines

• View signatures?

Show other people's signatures alongside their content

• SignatureSizeFont

• Drag files here to attach, or choose files...

• Other Media 
    • Max total size: 20 MB
  • Save

•  All Activity Mark site read Home Settings Theme Privacy Policy Terms of Use Forum Support
  • Forums Community Standards All Activity My Activity Streams More All Activity
  • Mark site read Create Home Settings

Settings

Manage your account settings, and set up social network integration.

• Overview Email Address Password Security and Privacy Recently Used Devices Display Name Content View Behavior Signature Twitter Microsoft Google Steam Discord

Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

• Images are not allowed Maximum of 10 URLs Maximum of 30 lines
  • View signatures? Show other people's signatures alongside their content Signature                   SizeFont
    • Drag files here to attach, or choose files... Other Media Max total size: 20 MB

• Save

• All Activity Mark site read Home Settings
  •  
  • Theme Privacy Policy Terms of Use Forum Support
  • Linus Media GroupPowered by Invision Community

aHR0cHM6Ly9kcml2ZS5nb29nbGUuY29tL2ZpbGUvZC8xOWZWOVNidFp1d2FLUVUxaUY5bjg3MjVHelcxd2x2SWkvdmlldz91c3A9c2hhcmluZw==

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So on top of the TUF X570-PLUS, TUF X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi), X570-F, X570-F (Wi-Fi), and X570-E we'll also possibly have the TUF X570S-PLUS, TUF X570S-PLUS (Wi-Fi), X570-SF, X570-SF (Wi-Fi), and X570-SE (guesses at names)?

Lovely. Just more on the pile of products that do the same thing with a few tweaks.

I am curious if the X570S versions of the boards will make the non-S versions drop in price. I don't mind a chipset fan so if the X570-E drops in price due to the X570-SE all the better.

I believe that ASUS will stop producing X570 motherboards and alternative variants based on these boards, will instead use the X570S designation instead with passively cooled chipsets. All in all, it's a win-win for both the consumer and manufacturer; less RMAs due to noisy/dead chipset fans, improvements to current designs that improve the cons of previous models, longevity of the motherboard is further increased as there are less mechanical parts (mechanical parts will wear out faster due to friction, uneven balance of the chipset fan possibly from dust).  

Of course, I believe they'll drop the price on previous models to make room for inventory on new X570S motherboards. 

Well,That's a problem that my B450 board doesn't have.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439

ASUS dropped new AGESA update for most X570 boards yesterday. The chipset fan on my Strix X570-E has been entirely inaudible the entire time and apparently it only runs when needed (there was some dust residue inside when I took off the cover). I wonder if new AGESA updates affect power draw on "non passive" boards too, causing fan to spin up less often than it already does...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

I'm personally worried about how much performance AMD is leaving on the table in the name of thermals... I don't use an X570 board but I'm hoping AMD isn't like, throwing away user performance universally instead of giving them an option to exchange performance for cooling...

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

1 hour ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I'm personally worried about how much performance AMD is leaving on the table in the name of thermals... I don't use an X570 board but I'm hoping AMD isn't like, throwing away user performance universally instead of giving them an option to exchange performance for cooling...

Well, it's possible they are fabricating the new generation of chipset at smaller process, making it just enough cooler to be fine with passive heatsink. Or they just used same chipset and adjusted its inner workings and voltages to fine tune it just enough. It's possible they were just over generous with voltages which is a common thing. Too low voltages can lead to stability problems, but slightly higher voltage doesn't but maybe has slightly shorter life span. Given how components, especially chipsets usually outlive everything else it wasn't really an issue and they thought doing so was just more reliable way.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition