I'm going to uni and I need a laptop that can work as a regular laptop while also being able to run sea of thieves 60 fps

Gaming is definitely not the focus here, I'm almost always going to use it solely for uni stuff, though I have a bunch of friends from the game that at least once a month I'd like to spend time again.
Thanks a ton.

1 minute ago, Mr. Inspector said:

Gaming is definitely not the focus here, I'm almost always going to use it solely for uni stuff, though I have a bunch of friends from the game that at least once a month I'd like to spend time again.
Thanks a ton.

Budget?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Budget?

Under 1k £

I think a laptop with a ryzen 5 4500 or 4600u will suit your needs, just upgrade the ram and overclock the igpu.

For a ram you can add a stick of 8gb 3200mhz ddr4 so you are runnibg in dual channel which significantly improves performance of the cpu and igpu.

For overclocking you can use ryzen controller to raise the tdp and clockspeed of the igpu.

For less than 1k you should be able to get a decent 1660ti laptop. If its mostly not for gaming I don't think id spend all the 1k for a 3060 laptop. Which model is very much personal preference. For uni something smaller with a decent keyboard/screen would be my choice. 1650s are even cheaper and still average well above 60 fps in Sea of Thieves, it will dip into the 50s at times in some areas.

A 3060 would allow you to play any game you and your friends wanted to for the next 4 years. A 1660ti would be fine for most games for 4 years. The 1650 would make you have to consider if your laptop can handle the game at 60FPS.

IMO I'd get a 1660ti. If you play a different game in 1-4 years the 1650 might not be enough. If your typical upgrade cycle is very long I'd lean more towards getting the 3060, it will definitely be overkill for now though, but in 3-4+ years would make a big difference

I won’t be playing something else really so I’ll prob opt out for 1650. I’m not a gamer, I just want to play this game a bit and that’s it. Thx a bunch

4 hours ago, CryingWimp said:

For less than 1k you should be able to get a decent 1660ti laptop. If its mostly not for gaming I don't think id spend all the 1k for a 3060 laptop. Which model is very much personal preference. For uni something smaller with a decent keyboard/screen would be my choice. 1650s are even cheaper and still average well above 60 fps in Sea of Thieves, it will dip into the 50s at times in some areas.

A 3060 would allow you to play any game you and your friends wanted to for the next 4 years. A 1660ti would be fine for most games for 4 years. The 1650 would make you have to consider if your laptop can handle the game at 60FPS.

IMO I'd get a 1660ti. If you play a different game in 1-4 years the 1650 might not be enough. If your typical upgrade cycle is very long I'd lean more towards getting the 3060, it will definitely be overkill for now though, but in 3-4+ years would make a big difference

59 minutes ago, Mr. Inspector said:

I won’t be playing something else really so I’ll prob opt out for 1650. I’m not a gamer, I just want to play this game a bit and that’s it. Thx a bunch

In my opinion, it's not a bad idea to go for something a little above what you need, just in case. Unless, of course, you're really tight on budget.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |