Laptop better than XPS for programming under 1500 - 1700$

Hi,

I am currently using  XPS 15 9570 with 16 GB ram. I want any suggestions for buying a new laptop under 1500 - 1700$.

The problems with my dell machine are now stacked up🤢, as i am fed up wit the hit an miss power button🙃  even i replaced my power button  and whole keyboard layout from dell but still the laptops fingerprint reader and powering on is a big task on its own. Also  even i have more than  50% free space it still is slow to start or open up applications. I  am having many issues as with my current work i use around 15 GB RAM  and face problems to install different  packages (for programming) on windows so i am planning to either go the mac way or the Linux.

Anyway i want a laptop with more processing speed and much more smoother than my XPS which has:intel 8th gen i7 processor and NVIDIA 1050 Ti Graphics card.

I usually do analytics like hadoop and hivei also make models for research in blender and sometimes use Procreate for work.

I need a better camera as dell is almost garbage in that aspect and good speakers as dell is also cheapo in that. Now that i think about it the dell XPS 15 is like an average laptop so if anyone wants to buy here is my review in a word. I am now considering M1 MacBook pro as an option and open to any suggestions??

HELP ME !!🙏

Try customizing a Thinkpad T15p and see if your desired specs are in your price range.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

17 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Try customizing a Thinkpad T15p and see if your desired specs are in your price range.

After bumping the processor to a 10th gen i7 and graphics. Also in this price point is way higher at-least 11 gen i7 or AMD is far superior in this price point any other suggestions😔

Not sure if the programming work you do is GPU intensive, but both the Thinkpad T15p and your current XPS 15 have the 1050 Ti, so you likely won't be getting any upgrade in GPU performance. Though, I'm not sure if Lenovo will have any sales on the T15p anytime soon, but whenever I was configuring a Lenovo laptop in the past month, they always seemed to have some sort of discount/ sale, however there aren't any now for this laptop.

Also, not sure if the programs you use work on MacOS, but if you're still considering a MacBook, please look out for this. Otherwise, the M1 chip seems pretty cool, but it seems like you can only get up to 16 GB of memory in the 13 inch MacBook Pro. Configuring this in the U.S. with 16 GB of ram, the M1 Chip, and a 512 GB SSD, it's sitting at $1,700, so I'm not sure if this is the most practical option, but it's definitely very nice. (https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-256gb#)

Even though you said you may want to get away from Dell, they did just release new XPS 15 and 17 models, though a model of the 15 with 16 GB of ram and an 11th gen i7 is already near $2,000, however I believe the RTX 3050 Ti somewhat justifies the price. Again, like with Lenovo, they'll probably start having sales of these things in a couple months, and last year's XPS 15 with a 6 core i7, 1650 Ti, 1 TB SSD, and 32 GB of memory is going for $1,900, which seems pretty good, imo. I bought myself an XPS 17 with an 8-core i9-10885H, 32 GB of memory, 1 TB SSD, and the RTX 2060 Max-Q recently, and I've been loving it. The webcam seems good to me, though I'm not sure if its the same as the one in your current XPS. Here's the link for that 15: (https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/980z

I'm sure LTT will have some great reviews on these laptops and any others you might be interested in, plus you may be able to find some you haven't considered before. I also look at Dave2D's and MobileTechReview's laptop reviews to see multiple angles/ views. Highly recommend checking out some reviews from these channels and from LTT.

Thanks ,I am eagerly waiting for sales 😑 and i do watch Dave2D's and MobileTechReview ☺️

The work i do related to programming is not that GPU extensive but when i use blender to render things then i need that but still to a minimum.

My issue with the camera was the quality and the placing which was below the screen (I bought it as i didn't thought that i will be needing it in the future ).

I have been looking in the laptops such as Macbook  M1 Pro, ROG G15 , Thinkpad T15p, Zepyhrus M16, HP omen and now will be looking in Dell xps  again🤔 I prefer AMD as  from benchmarks it feels more powerful. What do you think is any potential laptop missing. I will wait for sale or if anything new launches like M1X.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, The_Rias_Tatakae said:

Hi,

I am currently using  XPS 15 9570 with 16 GB ram. I want any suggestions for buying a new laptop under 1500 - 1700$.

The problems with my dell machine are now stacked up🤢, as i am fed up wit the hit an miss power button🙃  even i replaced my power button  and whole keyboard layout from dell but still the laptops fingerprint reader and powering on is a big task on its own. Also  even i have more than  50% free space it still is slow to start or open up applications. I  am having many issues as with my current work i use around 15 GB RAM  and face problems to install different  packages (for programming) on windows so i am planning to either go the mac way or the Linux.

Anyway i want a laptop with more processing speed and much more smoother than my XPS which has:intel 8th gen i7 processor and NVIDIA 1050 Ti Graphics card.

I usually do analytics like hadoop and hivei also make models for research in blender and sometimes use Procreate for work.

I need a better camera as dell is almost garbage in that aspect and good speakers as dell is also cheapo in that. Now that i think about it the dell XPS 15 is like an average laptop so if anyone wants to buy here is my review in a word. I am now considering M1 MacBook pro as an option and open to any suggestions??

HELP ME !!🙏

Go to Dell's page, go to deals, look under workstation. I got a precision 7500 series with Xeon cpu, 16gb ram, plussed up screen, & Quadro p1000 for just under $1400. In programming class the teacher had us run a looping program to crash our computers, his computer crashed in 80 runs, I got bored of watching mine after 800 runs & it showed no signs of stopping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, The_Rias_Tatakae said:

I have been looking in the laptops such as Macbook  M1 Pro, ROG G15 , Thinkpad T15p, Zepyhrus M16, HP omen and now will be looking in Dell xps  again🤔 I prefer AMD as  from benchmarks it feels more powerful. What do you think is any potential laptop missing. I will wait for sale or if anything new launches like M1X.

Sorry it's been a while, but I think this is a pretty solid list. If you want AMD, try going for the Zephyrus, though I forget if the new M16 has a webcam, though I definitely know last year's G14 and G15 don't.