PC/Motherboard making noise when under load ?

Sigilaire

Hey everyone. I've been trying to solve this problem for a week now. Here is a recording of the sound. It sounds like some kind of vibration.

PC specs :

• Ryzen 5 5600x

• be quiet! dark rock pro 4

• Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2

• Fractal design Meshify C

• Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC

• 16GB DDR4 3600 hZ (crucial ?) ballistix

• be quiet! System Power 9 CM 700W ATX24

• 2 WD hard drives

• 1 Samsung SSD ( 860 evo, I think )

• 1 NVME samsung 970

Hypothesis :

I think it might be power-related. It looks like it makes more noise when the PC is under load. As you can see in the video, when in-game, it's at a peak, in the menu it reduces, and when leaving the game it disappears ( almost, if I listen closely I can still hear it ). Also, as I'm writing these lines, I can hear the same noise as in the video but only for like half a second every minute. All of that didn't happen when I was using a 1050 ti with the same build, and when I got the 3070, it was ok for a week.

I've made sure that :

The sound doesn't appear ( as loudly ) when stress testing the GPU with Furmark. Same thing when stress testing the CPU with prime95.

It does not come from a fan. In the video, you can see that all the fans are not plugged in. When setting the GPU fan to 60, 70, or 100% on Afterburner, it doesn't make the sound.

It does not come from the CPU cooler/fan. I've just replaced it, and the sound hasn't changed.

It does not come from the GPU. You can hear the sound change depending on what I'm doing in the game, and the GPU fan speed didn't change. It doesn't change at the end when the sound disappears either.

It does not come from a software installed on my pc. When recording, every program in the taskbar was closed.

I think :

It might be the mobo dying after like a month of life ? Or the PSU, that is the same age ?

Please help me if you have any idea, I'm really lost and it bothers me. If you have any question to ask, don't hesitate. Thanks for reading me.

It sounds like coil whine, which is pretty normal depending on GPU/motherboard. You're right that it would either be caused by the motherboard or PSU, but can be caused by the GPU (I wouldn't put it at the top of my list in your scenario, but I also wouldn't eliminate it). Where you're wrong is thinking that it would be caused by one of those components dying. I've had a 980 Ti Kingpin running in my secondary system for about a year, and every time I launch up a game on it, it buzzes about twice as loud as yours, and it's still rock solid with no issues whatsoever. If you really care, you can try a different PSU and different motherboard to see which one is causing it (I'd say motherboard is more likely, but PSU would probably be easier to test if you can borrow one from a friend or something). I don't believe the warranty will cover coil whine as a reason to RMA your motherboard, so if you want to swap it out, you will be stuck paying out of pocket.

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It sounds like coil whine, which is pretty normal depending on GPU/motherboard. You're right that it would either be caused by the motherboard or PSU, but can be caused by the GPU (I wouldn't put it at the top of my list in your scenario, but I also wouldn't eliminate it). Where you're wrong is thinking that it would be caused by one of those components dying. I've had a 980 Ti Kingpin running in my secondary system for about a year, and every time I launch up a game on it, it buzzes about twice as loud as yours, and it's still rock solid with no issues whatsoever. If you really care, you can try a different PSU and different motherboard to see which one is causing it (I'd say motherboard is more likely, but PSU would probably be easier to test if you can borrow one from a friend or something). I don't believe the warranty will cover coil whine as a reason to RMA your motherboard, so if you want to swap it out, you will be stuck paying out of pocket.

Oh, so coil whine depends on load and can suddenly appear ? I thought it was permanent. That's sad that it happens, but I've read on other posts that the RTX 30 series is often subject to coil whine. I'd really try swapping components, but as this is my first real gaming PC, I don't have any. At least, I suppose it's harmless so I'll deal with it.

But now that I think of it, it's been less than two weeks since I've bought my GPU and I can still return it and be refunded.. do you think I should try it to see if the next card doesn't whine ? Thanks a lot for your answer

5 minutes ago, Sigilaire said:

Oh, so coil whine depends on load and can suddenly appear ? I thought it was permanent. That's sad that it happens, but I've read on other posts that the RTX 30 series is often subject to coil whine. I'd really try swapping components, but as this is my first real gaming PC, I don't have any. At least, I suppose it's harmless so I'll deal with it.

But now that I think of it, it's been less than two weeks since I've bought my GPU and I can still return it and be refunded.. do you think I should try it to see if the next card doesn't whine ? Thanks a lot for your answer

Wouldn't recommend doing that, since you aren't guaranteed to get another 3070 if you do, and don't want to be stuck without a card for a decent amount of time. If you want to limit the coil whine if it is your GPU, enable a frame cap, as higher FPS is where coil whine is most apparent.

49 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Wouldn't recommend doing that, since you aren't guaranteed to get another 3070 if you do, and don't want to be stuck without a card for a decent amount of time. If you want to limit the coil whine if it is your GPU, enable a frame cap, as higher FPS is where coil whine is most apparent.

Honestly, where I live ( Belgium ), most of the card are in stock. But any 30 series I look at on the Internet, someone complains about the coil whine. So, it'be the same to keep mine.

1 minute ago, Sigilaire said:

Honestly, where I live ( Belgium ), most of the card are in stock. But any 30 series I look at on the Internet, someone complains about the coil whine. So, it'be the same to keep mine.

I wouldn't say that every 30 series card has coil whine, I've got a watercooled 3080 (usually enhances coil whine) that I don't notice any whine at all. But even considering that, I still wouldn't bother swapping out the card, as again you could get unlucky and get another whiny card.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

as again you could get unlucky and get another whiny card.

Exactly my thought as well. Thank you for your answers