Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What causes audio delay coming from HTPC?

Here's my setup:

 

HTPC(B550 R5-3400G)

Xbox one

Nintendo switch

Dish set top box

Denon receiver(I forget the model)

All connected via HDMI

 

Everything goes through the receiver and to the TV/Polk audio speakers.

 

Here's my problem:

 

ONLY THE HTPC will get out of sync with the audio/video. It doesn't matter how much I play with the audio delay function on the receiver, it seems to develop a delay after a couple minutes of playback.

 

Since the xbox/switch/dish all work fine, i've deduced that it isn't an issue with the receiver. 

 

So what issues within Windows 10 would cause a delay? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A fixed delay? Does it get worse over time? Will it reset randomly at some point and start to get larger and larger again? What content cause the delay and how is the HTPC plugged into the receiver?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FAHEYGF87 said:

Here's my setup:

 

HTPC(B550 R5-3400G)

Xbox one

Nintendo switch

Dish set top box

Denon receiver(I forget the model)

All connected via HDMI

 

Everything goes through the receiver and to the TV/Polk audio speakers.

 

Here's my problem:

 

ONLY THE HTPC will get out of sync with the audio/video. It doesn't matter how much I play with the audio delay function on the receiver, it seems to develop a delay after a couple minutes of playback.

 

Since the xbox/switch/dish all work fine, i've deduced that it isn't an issue with the receiver. 

 

So what issues within Windows 10 would cause a delay? 

If you use MPC-HC, the internal audio filter has an AV sync fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2021 at 3:32 PM, HenrySalayne said:

A fixed delay? Does it get worse over time? Will it reset randomly at some point and start to get larger and larger again? What content cause the delay and how is the HTPC plugged into the receiver?

It does seem to get worse over time. I wake the htpc up from sleep with the keyboard. Open Netflix or Disney +, it plays fine for a few minutes before my wife elbows me and says "it's off again" (she is more sensitive to it then I am), then another minute or two go by, and I notice it too. Last thing we tried to watch was Agents of shield on Netflix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 3:54 AM, VoidX said:

If you use MPC-HC, the internal audio filter has an AV sync fix.

What is MPC-HC? If it's not something that happens by default, I'm probably not using it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use ARC over HDMI instead of using your receiver as an HDMI switch.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / AirPods Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Roswell said:

Use ARC over HDMI instead of using your receiver as an HDMI switch.

Isn't that how a receiver is supposed to work though?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FAHEYGF87 said:

Isn't that how a receiver is supposed to work though?

 

These issues crop up all over the place with receivers and ARC would just solve it, that's why I suggested it.

 

 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / AirPods Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roswell said:

These issues crop up all over the place with receivers and ARC would just solve it, that's why I suggested it.

 

 

So HTPC into HDMI 2 on my TV, then ARC down to the receiver? I'll give it a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FAHEYGF87 said:

So HTPC into HDMI 2 on my TV, then ARC down to the receiver? I'll give it a try.

I don’t know how many HDMI jacks you have but you could pop everything into the TV and just use ARC as a single input into the receiver as well. 
 

But yeah, what you suggest will work. It’ll also give you access to all of those extra HDMI inputs on the TV if you run out of them on the receiver.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / AirPods Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, FAHEYGF87 said:

What is MPC-HC? If it's not something that happens by default, I'm probably not using it.

That's a long dead media player I use. Here's its afterlife, however, might worth a try: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×