My pc won’t boot up after changing the boot up drive :/

Shookyoo
Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

Yes once you download the media creation tool onto your computer, you run the executable and at some point you'll have the option to "upgrade this pc" or "create installation media for another pc" or something along those lines. You want the 2nd option for another pc, it'll ask  you to plug in a usb drive and then you install it to the drive. after that's complete you plug it in your problem pc and boot from it to start a fresh installation.

If that's not clear, there should be instructions on that page I linked from microsoft, but the main thing you DONT want to do is "download the tool" and drag it onto the usb drive, you need to install it to the drive. @Shookyoo

I had to install some drivers so I let my pc restart but since I have an ssd and a hdd I usually just spam esc then tap f9 and boot windows from my ssd from there. 
My system kept restarting and I had to do that spam process to boot the ssd so that I could install the updates but I figured that I could just default the boot drive to my ssd so I followed a hp forum on how to do it. I pressed f10 then to boot options, selected the ssd and pressed f10 to save changes. Now my pc doesn’t connect to my monitor but it turns on. It’s saying no signal so I’m guessing I crashed the bios? What can I do to fix this?? 

should i do the cmos battery method or? 

Changing the boot drive won't stop it from displaying any video. That's either coincidence, or you changed another setting.

Clearing CMOS is a good next step, yes. Pull out the power cord, remove the battery, hold the power button for 10 sec to drain excess energy out of the system.

Wait for 10 minutes or so and boot the PC up without the battery.

If it reset the CMOS and works again, you can turn it off and put the battery back in. I usually do it this way because it sometimes doesn't reset when you put the battery back in immediately.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Changing the boot drive won't stop it from displaying any video. That's either coincidence, or you changed another setting.

Clearing CMOS is a good next step, yes. Pull out the power cord, remove the battery, hold the power button for 10 sec to drain excess energy out of the system.

If it reset the CMOS and works again, you can turn it off and put the battery back in. I usually do it this way because it sometimes doesn't reset when you put the battery back in immediately.

okay I’ll try that and get back to you, thank you for replying!

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

So my computer starts up now but I can’t boot my ssd. There’s input on the monitor and I can access the bios menu and all that jazz but I think it’s having trouble starting after the updates. Should I uninstall the updates or? It lets me troubleshoot and stuff but idk what to do from here 

I made another post before but idk if it sent. 
I’m having problems with booting my ssd after some driver updates. I’ve had other problems with no input from my pc to the monitor before but now I obviously have input and can access troubleshooting options but whenever I try to boot my ssd from the f9 menu it keeps going into ‘scanning and repairing drive C:’  to ‘Preparing automatic repair’ and back to the blue troubleshooting menu. 

I have a hdd and a ssd so I boot my drive by spamming f9 and choosing the drive. I mainly use my ssd. 

I tried to reset, didn’t work. I tried to restore but it says I don’t have a restore point. I tried the start up repair but it says it couldn’t find a fix. I tried start up settings where it changes the start of behaviour but that didn’t work either. It didn’t let me uninstall the updates.

Should I do the cmos method again or is there anything else I can do? I haven’t tried the command prompt method or changed any other bios settings. I did do component tests and my drives are functioning normally so idk what the problem is. 

unplug your HDD and reinstall windows on your ssd (wiping all data). If you potentially need to restore anything, clone the drive to another drive first before continuing to mess with it.

18 minutes ago, Shookyoo said:

I made another post before but idk if it sent. 

You did but it was removed, creating multiple threads is considered spamming so please avoid doing so.

Your thread was merged with the old one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

18 minutes ago, NinJake said:

unplug your HDD and reinstall windows on your ssd (wiping all data). If you potentially need to restore anything, clone the drive to another drive first before continuing to mess with it.

I’ve done that but it doesn’t really give me the option to reset. The troubleshoot menu that I saw before doesn’t come up. 
F1 didn’t really do anything, it just came back to the same screen. 
First image is what comes up on the screen when I start the pc up. 
Second image is the options displayed after pressing f8. 
Third image is shown after pressing Esc. 

idk what to do. I’m okay with wiping all files on my ssd because my personal files are on the hdd. 

36355905-AFC6-4CAE-9FF1-7A49F6803FCD.jpeg

382A417D-E8F6-4B6D-A9EC-282007B79911.jpeg

D71E51FA-8622-40AA-B5E5-99A4D5C279F2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You did but it was removed, creating multiple threads is considered spamming so please avoid doing so.

Your thread was merged with the old one.

Right, sorry about that I didn’t know.

@Shookyoodo you have a windows 10 media creation tool on a USB? if not, you'll need to use another computer (public library if you dont have one at home). go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

follow the steps to get it installed on a blank/empty USB and boot from that on your pc. once again, make sure your HDD is unplugged so you don't accidentally wipe that data.

14 minutes ago, NinJake said:

@Shookyoodo you have a windows 10 media creation tool on a USB? if not, you'll need to use another computer (public library if you dont have one at home). go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/b

follow the steps to get it installed on a blank/empty USB and boot from that on your pc. once again, make sure your HDD is unplugged so you don't accidentally wipe that data.

I do have another computer at home but I don’t really have a usb.

I could transfer the files I have on my hdd to my other computer, format it and install windows on it. Will that work or should I just buy a usb? 
I have the cables needed to do it. 

Edited by Shookyoo

I think 8gb usb is fine if you can find one. it just has all the files needed to freshly install windows on another drive. You really don't want windows on a hdd. Try to get it working on your ssd before anything else. @Shookyoo

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

I think 8gb usb is fine if you can find one. it just has all the files needed to freshly install windows on another drive. You really don't want windows on a hdd. Try to get it working on your ssd before anything else. @Shookyoo

Okay I went and got a usb drive and downloaded the media installer from the link you provided. I assume that I open it? Or do I connect it to my main pc that needs fixing and try boot it?

Yes once you download the media creation tool onto your computer, you run the executable and at some point you'll have the option to "upgrade this pc" or "create installation media for another pc" or something along those lines. You want the 2nd option for another pc, it'll ask  you to plug in a usb drive and then you install it to the drive. after that's complete you plug it in your problem pc and boot from it to start a fresh installation.

If that's not clear, there should be instructions on that page I linked from microsoft, but the main thing you DONT want to do is "download the tool" and drag it onto the usb drive, you need to install it to the drive. @Shookyoo

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

Okay I’ve installed windows on the usb and have booted the usb on the problem pc. It gave two options for windows installation one was to keep files and such and the other was to install windows only. Sorry for taking long to reply. 

6 hours ago, NinJake said:

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix the problem pc :) 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, Shookyoo said:

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix the problem pc 🙂

Glad to hear it's fixed!