6700XT Crashes at game startup.

George McGnarly

A month ago I purchased a 6700xt (Powercolor reference), and it worked great for 30 days. Power went out but my surge protector and UPS didn't have a problem with any surges. On day 31 after purchase all games that use a lot of resources cause my monitors to shut off and the PC takes a dump but maintains an "on" state. I have to hard reboot to recover.

I troubleshooted with pretty much everything. Also tested rails which were good. Replaced PSU anyways. Problem persists. I should mention that Heaven works and normal non-gaming operations don't show any graphics card issues. Only when initializing game.

Right now I think it's the mobo. Here's why:

1. I installed an RX480 and it worked although slower. No game crashes.

2. I installed 6700XT on older system (note that it supports up to PCIe 2.0. Card worked most of the time. I experienced two lockups in that 3d mark but the games played.

I talked to some people and one said it has to do with some sort of plug issue regarding 6+6, 8+6, and not needing an extra 2 pin because they are grounds. That didn't make any sense to me and research showed an issue like that for the 5000 series.

My specs:

asrock b550 Phantom 4

AMD 3800x

32G gskill ram 3200 (xmp)

Seasonic Focus 750 (new)

Creatvie xfi extreme

Crucial m.2 500G series 1

3 Seagate 7200 rpm

I unplugged everything and tested. I formatted and reinstalled OS. I reset bios. DDU. Tried PCIe 3 and 2 since it worked on older system.

Why I think it might be mobo? I think that 75 watts from PCIe is fubarred ie capacitor or some other shenanigans on the mobo.

I blew $1000 on this card and the reason I mention 30 and 31 days is because I got owned after the return window.

Any brains here have any ideas? I'd appreciate it as I am broke as a joke and it took awhile to justify paying scalper prices. I am totally hosed.

EDIT - I looked at all logs including event viewer and nothing gets written.

If you're past the return window, you can go the usual route of sending the product in for repair through the manufacturer or the retailer.

There should be at least a 1 year warranty on the product. In the EU there's a 2 year "warranty" by law for any product.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

If you're past the return window, you can go the usual route of sending the product in for repair through the manufacturer or the retailer.

There should be at least a 1 year warranty on the product. In the EU there's a 2 year "warranty" by law for any product.

You mean the mobo? Yes I can RMA the video card but I'm not sure it needs to be. That's why I made the 5 billion word post.

12 minutes ago, George McGnarly said:

You mean the mobo? Yes I can RMA the video card but I'm not sure it needs to be. That's why I made the 5 billion word post.

Considering on the behavior on both systems, I'm pretty sure its the video card. But I'd just RMA both.

I mean, it's gonna suck either way, so you might aswell do both at the same time.

I appreciate your words of wisdom. They are much appreciated. I'll do what you propose. I hate doing an RMA. I've always thought that manufacturers look for ways to void the warranty but I don't have much to lose at this point. As for the board I think I'd take it out back and set it on fire. That board is cheap. I'll check shipping costs first as I'm broke as a joke.

lol sorry but paying these prices while being broke is impressive 🤣

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

As a last resort before RMA, did you try the card on another system, perhaps a friend's system? This is to be totally sure that the card is the issue because it sounds like you're dealing with an overseas RMA which can be a hassle. My PowerColor VEGA64 Red Devil died on me after a couple of months of getting it, it's still a mystery to me as to why it'd died though, I'd had to send it to TUL Corporation and California (it was bought from Newegg, and I'm in Asia).

The only real issue buying from online store in US is that the RMA'ed card would have to have a return US/Canadian address, and fortunately for me, my niece lives in Canada so it was sent to her. I hope yours was bought locally and you were talking about cost of local shipping. Best of luck to you, hope things work out for ya!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

lol sorry but paying these prices while being broke is impressive 🤣

I used my delta sky miles card. Pay later and get FFM's. 

1 hour ago, GamerDude said:

As a last resort before RMA, did you try the card on another system, perhaps a friend's system? This is to be totally sure that the card is the issue because it sounds like you're dealing with an overseas RMA which can be a hassle. My PowerColor VEGA64 Red Devil died on me after a couple of months of getting it, it's still a mystery to me as to why it'd died though, I'd had to send it to TUL Corporation and California (it was bought from Newegg, and I'm in Asia).

The only real issue buying from online store in US is that the RMA'ed card would have to have a return US/Canadian address, and fortunately for me, my niece lives in Canada so it was sent to her. I hope yours was bought locally and you were talking about cost of local shipping. Best of luck to you, hope things work out for ya!

I did try it on another system and it seemed to work but it was PCIe 2.0. I'm in Detroit, one of the only cities in America where you have to drive south to get to Canada.. 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I RMA'd it. Also talked to one of the guys. He said I'm in line but there is a ton of cards called Fighters that are in front of me. Gonna be awhile.