Unable to install Windows 10

MegaMoosh

Hello everyone!

I've had an annoying problem for the past week, I've been trying to install Windows 10 21H1 to my PC after discovering I was running a really old version (1903).

I created an installation media via Microsoft's website, I even tried Rufus with an ISO, but no luck. I just get the Windows logo on the screen for about 10 seconds before my system reboots.

I tried both the USB and SSD on a different PC and they work fine, I suspect it is either BIOS settings, drivers or an old BIOS version causing this problem.

My specs are:

MSI X370 Gaming Plus (BIOS ver. E7BS0IMS.150 / Build date: 22/03/2019)

Ryzen 5 1500X

16Gb DRR4 Crucial RAM

2 Drevo SSD's and a Seagate Barracuda HHD 

Please help, any suggestions would be welcome.

First step would be to reset your Bios to default.

You could try and disable secure boot if thats on, but again: first step is default the Bios

22 minutes ago, MegaMoosh said:

after discovering I was running a really old version (1903).

Did you already wipe this version? There was a tool I found once that gives you access to older ISO files and you can do an incremental update that way 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you already wipe this version? There was a tool I found once that gives you access to older ISO files and you can do an incremental update that way 

It seems like it may be a problem with the whole using a USB stick to update, I am going to reboot and try using default settings.

I didn't wipe that version, I am trying to install to a NTFS 240Gb with no windows on it.

15 minutes ago, MegaMoosh said:

It seems like it may be a problem with the whole using a USB stick to update, I am going to reboot and try using default settings.

I didn't wipe that version, I am trying to install to a NTFS 240Gb with no windows on it.

The default settings don't work it seems.

1 hour ago, MegaMoosh said:

This article has a link to the GitHub tool I used to update an old surface laptop

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-download-older-windows-10-versions-iso-files/amp/

It was really useful since I did an incremental update, and then you could restore the windows install to factory settings if you wanted.

Is your current 1903 version of windows on one of the SSDs already? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 6/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, Fasauceome said:

This article has a link to the GitHub tool I used to update an old surface laptop

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-download-older-windows-10-versions-iso-files/amp/

It was really useful since I did an incremental update, and then you could restore the windows install to factory settings if you wanted.

Is your current 1903 version of windows on one of the SSDs already? 

Hello! Sorry didn't see your post, yes my SSD has ver. 1903 on it already.

3 minutes ago, MegaMoosh said:

Hello! Sorry didn't see your post, yes my SSD has ver. 1903 on it already.

I'm just trying to upgrade to 1909 using the tool, hopefully it works! I can't to a clean install of anything because of this problem...

4 hours ago, MegaMoosh said:

I'm just trying to upgrade to 1909 using the tool, hopefully it works! I can't to a clean install of anything because of this problem...

Hopefully you can get to a version that is sufficient to you and then reset windows within the OS itself. Starting fresh all the same as with a USB.

Primary PC:

53 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Hopefully you can get to a version that is sufficient to you and then reset windows within the OS itself. Starting fresh all the same as with a USB.

I managed to get to version 1909! Yay 🙂 But however my PC won't go to version 2004, it gives me this image:

Does anyone know what it means?

20210611_150153.jpg

4 minutes ago, MegaMoosh said:

Does anyone know what it means?

you might want to reach out to windows customer support, they have a pretty useful live chat that answers a lot of questions like these

Primary PC: