ASUS ROG Strix 3060 Gaming OC and Afterburner question

bendaniel911

I have recently built a new PC and I wanted to test the 3060 regarding OC capabilities.

I have two questions and they are the following:

I load Afterburner and a game while everything is on stock and the GPU utilisation is fine, depending on Vsync. However, Vsync makes me drop frames randomly even when the scene is not busy and without Vsync this doesn’t happen. Why is that?

Secondly and most importantly, Afterburner shows “LIM: POWER” while everything is on stock and not OC’d. This happens with Vsync turned on or off as well, it doesn’t matter, however the FPS goes beyond the refresh rate of the monitor and the system produces enough frames that it shouldn’t drop below the Vsync limit.

Now, if I raise the power limit slider to +23% and max it out, this “LIM: POWER” warning does not go away, while the power that the GPU uses increases slightly by 3-4% but nowhere near 123%. GPU stays between 54-57 degree Celsius and I have never seen it go above 58 ever, with a 195/1000 OC.

So what I don’t understand is why does Afterburner say that I’m power limited even without and OC while raising the PL to max? Could someone tell me if this is normal behaviour? As for now, it seems that I can’t get close to anywhere near the fully raised power limit and therefore I can’t take advantage of it.

System:

- Ryzen 7 3700X
- MSI X570 Tomahawk
- 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 CL18
- Corsair RM750

Afterburner is on version 4.6.3 and the GeForce driver is the newest to date (466.77 if I remember correctly)

Thank you in advance 🙏