550w PSU 80 gold enough for this config?

cPilot

Hello!
Im looking to upgrade my current PC, I have a i5 4440 + gtx 1070 and a 550w PSU EVGA GD 80 gold, I've been using this PSU for a year and a half.

I want to buy a i7 10700 and a 3070, but im kinda scared of the wattage of my current PSU. Will 550w be enough considering its 80 gold certified? (It has 2x 8pin(6+2) pcie connectors as well)

Im attaching pictures of the PSU box with some info, if that helps

Thanks in advance

IMG_20210618_110632.thumb.jpg.5a03899b51787f7c25b2235af0bac8e1.jpg

IMG_20210618_110537.thumb.jpg.7268d14c102e0a72772dea7b79861408.jpg

80+ certification is not a measure of quality.

You might be able to get by with that PSU but I think it would be well outside its efficiency sweet spot. Nvidia recommends at least a 650W PSU for the 3070, and while usually those recommendations are very conservative to make a safe margin for people who buy crap PSU's that don't actually make their rated wattage, the Ampere cards are known to have "spiky" power draw.

I would get a new, well-reviewed 650W or better unit. 

The PSU Tier List thread here is a good place to start your search: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

80+ certification is not a measure of quality.

You might be able to get by with that PSU but I think it would be well outside its efficiency sweet spot. Nvidia recommends at least a 650W PSU for the 3070, and while usually those recommendations are very conservative to make a safe margin for people who buy crap PSU's that don't actually make their rated wattage, the Ampere cards are known to have "spiky" power draw.

I would get a new, well-reviewed 650W or better unit. 

The PSU Tier List thread here is a good place to start your search: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Thanks for the info

So considering those "spikes" in consumption, I should not take into consideration youtube videos that say the power consumption goes up to 430w max? Good PSU's are kinda rare and probably twice as expensive where I live, I really want to make sure I NEED a new PSU, you know? Can those spikes pass the +100w I have left?

1 hour ago, cPilot said:

Good PSU's are kinda rare and probably twice as expensive where I live, I really want to make sure I NEED a new PSU, you know? Can those spikes pass the +100w I have left?

you need a new psu. thats a 550w c teir unit, a 3070 has been known to take down some bteir 800+w units. 

DO NOT skimp on your psu. Take a cpu spec lower before getting a worse psu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you need a new psu. thats a 550w c teir unit, a 3070 has been known to take down some bteir 800+w units. 

DO NOT skimp on your psu. Take a cpu spec lower before getting a worse psu.

Well... I dont have a choice then, what would you recommend? +650w? My problem is still going to be getting something out of the tier list, first I have to actually find someone who sells those. It sucks.

1 minute ago, cPilot said:

Well... I dont have a choice then, what would you recommend? +650w? My problem is still going to be getting something out of the tier list, first I have to actually find someone who sells those. It sucks.

The teir list is bassically every branded PSU at this point.

I'd look for a Corsair RM unit, 650watt or above

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler