Is my Ryzen 9 dead already?

Lairlair
Go to solution Solved by Lairlair,

Update in case anyone has the same problem: the CPU was faulty. After the RMA process that last about 10 days, I received a new model and it works perfectly now.

I built a new system with the following components:

Ryzen 9 5900x (New)

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi (new)

Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 (New)

BitFenix 650W (New)

WD Black 1TB M.2 drive (new)

PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Super (6 months old)

Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (4 Years old)

Seagate Barracuda 4TB (1 year old)

Everything seems to work and every component shows up correctly in the bios, but then when I try to boot to a hard drive I get constant BSODs and reboots with different error codes (0xc0000001, 0xc0000098, irql is not less or equal, KMODE exception not handled and some more...) and I'm unable to launch windows, or the recovery tool (which was already installed on the SSD or on a usb stick). And then when the system restarts the CPU debug LED on my mobo lights up and stays on forever.

I tried many ram speeds and none helped, I run mem test 86 for 5 hours and got no error, flashed the bios, removed every components to the bare minimum  and the situation is still the same. I'm not sure what to make of this nonsense. What do you think? Thanks!

Is your CPU voltage set correct in BIOS?

10 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

M.2 drive

tried removing that?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Is your CPU voltage set correct in BIOS?

I left it set to default. Am I supposed to tweak that?

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

tried removing that?

I did try and the same thing happened

Run a process of elimination. CPU, 1 stick of RAM, Boot drive, GPU and PSU. Try that. If that works, slowly add more components. If it doesn't work, alternate sticks of RAM.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

Try re-seating the CPU and make sure its properly seated. Also check it for bent or missing pins first

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

29 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

tried many ram speeds and none helped, I run mem test 86 for 5 hours and got no error,

ok, but that wouldnt happen with.a defective cpu??

i mean u can try reseating it, but i still suspect something with the hard drives.  i would just have one plugged in to test, maybe you can find the faulty one that way. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

ok, but that wouldnt happen with.a defective cpu??

Exactly what's puzzling me. If a pin isn't making contact, wouldn't that keep a test like that to run properly?

I've tried removing everything (even the usb headers) but the ram GPU, CPU and CPU cooler but nothing changed, the usb windows tool won't boot (also tried a different key and both work on another computer...) I'm considering reseating the CPU even if it means removing the noctua NH-D15 and reapplying the thermal paste 😭

5 hours ago, Tegneren said:

Try re-seating the CPU and make sure its properly seated. Also check it for bent or missing pins first

Tried that, it didn't help. I feel like I've tried everything at that point. Is it possible that the CPU is faulty or the motherboard? Is there a way to check that?

7 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Tried that, it didn't help. I feel like I've tried everything at that point. Is it possible that the CPU is faulty or the motherboard? Is there a way to check that?

Statistically the motherboard are more likely than the CPU to fail. If you have access to a compatible motherboard(a friend or something) that you know are working, you can try to swap that in.

Outside of that you can try to RMA it. Or contact a local repair shop, if any, for some diagnostics.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

On 6/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, Tegneren said:

Statistically the motherboard are more likely than the CPU to fail. If you have access to a compatible motherboard(a friend or something) that you know are working, you can try to swap that in.

Outside of that you can try to RMA it. Or contact a local repair shop, if any, for some diagnostics.

Yeah ideally I would ask a friend to lend me a CPU but it's a lot of work to remove and reseat the cooler on both mobos. Plus if I somehow mess it up I'd be mortified... All the troubleshooting I've done so far hasn't lead anywhere so I'll RMA the CPU and see if that helps

On 6/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lairlair said:

but then when I try to boot to a hard drive I get constant BSODs and reboots with different error codes (0xc0000001, 0xc0000098 is less or equal, and some more...)

Which one of those drives is the boot drive?

Your windows boot usb will not boot. Is it set correctly in the bios?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

41 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Which one of those drives is the boot drive?

Your windows boot usb will not boot. Is it set correctly in the bios?

I get the 00001 when I try to boot on the SSD, and other error codes when I try to boot on the usb stick (IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED).

Yes it is set correctly in the bios. It does kinda boot, I see the windows logo but then it crashes immediately.

15 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

I get the 00001 when I try to boot on the SSD, and other error codes when I try to boot on the usb stick (IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED).

Yes it is set correctly in the bios. It does kinda boot, I see the windows logo but then it crashes immediately.

Is that USB drive a windows install medium or is it a portable windows version?

I'm guessing that ssd with windows is from a different PC, right?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

1 hour ago, Montana16 said:

Is that USB drive a windows install medium or is it a portable windows version?

I'm guessing that ssd with windows is from a different PC, right?

It's the usb windows install tool yeah. That SSD is from another pc indeed.

15 hours ago, Lairlair said:

It's the usb windows install tool yeah. That SSD is from another pc indeed.

Ok, never seen errors like that when using a windows install medium. I have only seen those errors from an already installed windows. Those errors could come from a variety of things but to my knowledge are often associated with RAM or drivers. Could also be fast boot.

Did you make that windows install medium yourself or is it from windows (the one you can buy)?

Using a ssd with a windows install from a different PC to boot is never a good idea. It's best to do a clean install when building a new PC to avoid errors like these or further down the line.

Did you try booting up with no drives or booting to a Linux version as live install? (Runs from USB).

8 hours ago, Montana16 said:

Using a ssd with a windows install from a different PC to boot is never a good idea. It's best to do a clean install when building a new PC to avoid errors like these or further down the line.

Yeah I assumed as much but I thought I'd try and it didn't work. Then when I tried with the installation medium I realised the problem was more serious than I expected (even with the SSD unplugged)

7 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

Did you try booting up with no drives or booting to a Linux version as live install? (Runs from USB).

I've tried a Linux live USB stick and it went in kernel panic. Not sure what that means but it remained stuck there for a few minutes until I shut the power down...

4 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Yeah I assumed as much but I thought I'd try and it didn't work. Then when I tried with the installation medium I realised the problem was more serious than I expected (even with the SSD unplugged)

I've tried a Linux live USB stick and it went in kernel panic. Not sure what that means but it remained stuck there for a few minutes until I shut the power down...

Did you test with a different PSU? 

1 hour ago, RTX 3071 said:

Did you test with a different PSU? 

Sadly no, I don't have another PSU lying around. How could a PSU cause a blue screen?

1 hour ago, Lairlair said:

It's probably best if you RMA your stuff.

Since Motherboards are more likely to have issues I'd RMA that first to see if it makes any difference. Even better would be if you could get a board from someone and test your stuff with it. That way you don't have to wait for 2 RMA processes if a new board doesn't make a difference.

If that doesn't do anything RMA the CPU.

7 hours ago, Lairlair said:

Sadly no, I don't have another PSU lying around. How could a PSU cause a blue screen?

There can be bad power delivery to CPU which will cause instability.

• 3 weeks later...

Update in case anyone has the same problem: the CPU was faulty. After the RMA process that last about 10 days, I received a new model and it works perfectly now.