Can't get computer to sleep automatically

Jarsky

Hey all,

Been struggling with this ever since I built my new PC. I just cannot get it to go into sleep mode. 

Specs are in my signature, and its the latest Windows 10 (21H1) build 

Troubleshooting ive done: 

Reset the power plan to defaults

Disabled Wake timers

image.png.cbec493484dbf06f0169b0128c6a53c7.png

Checked Powercfg -requests

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Tried making an exception for this "Legacy Kernel Caller"

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "Legacy Kernel Caller" SYSTEM

If I run a Sleep Study I can see it definately never went to sleep overnight

image.thumb.png.2591433681035f7bce04de0036a36e27.png

I ran a Sleep Diagnostic which showed me 'MoUsoCoreWorker.exe' (Some Windows Update thing) and Discord were quite regular, so I made an exception for each of those

powercfg /requestsoverride process MoUsoCoreWorker.exe execution
powercfg /requestsoverride process Discord.exe execution

Heres the new diagnostic, still not sleeping... (Not even sure what green means in the context of this diagnostic report?)

image.thumb.png.db60c8eeeb02d40d626e4be779076d62.png

I even completely reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows yesterday, (these screenshots are from doing the same steps again today on the new build) and still won't sleep.

At a loss as to what the problem is....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

It might be that the mouse is putting in slight movements every now and then, so that the sleep isnt engaging.

But why do you want it to sleep? Its known to break things, never been great.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It might be that the mouse is putting in slight movements every now and then, so that the sleep isnt engaging.

Nope, there was no input detected per the reports for the 35 minutes I gave it in the latest test (Sleep set for 30 minutes)

The system idle time was reset because: The system detected user input.	0:13:58	2021-06-1811:27:49

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

But why do you want it to sleep? Its known to break things, never been great.

I've been supporting Windows systems as an engineer for about 15 years, and I've been using sleep on PC's as long as ATX has been a thing and Sleep/Suspend has been a function of Windows, never seen it "break" anything...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

9 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

I've noticed a few of these posts recently.

I wonder if a Windows update borked something again.

I was wondering if this might be, i did just recently upgrade to the May 2021 (21H1) build, and this new refresh is the same build as well. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

I've been supporting Windows systems as an engineer for about 15 years, and I've been using sleep on PC's as long as ATX has been a thing and Sleep/Suspend has been a function of Windows, never seen it "break" anything...

Really? It's always had issues with me. Displays not coming back online automatically  (primary will, secondary sometimes not), having to remount USB drives manually, little things like that.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

I was wondering if this might be, i did just recently upgrade to the May 2021 (21H1) build, and this new refresh is the same build as well. 

I have a copy of the 20h2 installer on a a laptop, you can use that if you want to test that (I don't think you can download old ones officially).

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

Perhaps someone else will pop in here that is also on the latest build and can test.

I'm still running the old build.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, Jarsky said:

Nope, there was no input detected per the reports for the 35 minutes I gave it in the latest test (Sleep set for 30 minutes)

The system idle time was reset because: The system detected user input.	0:13:58	2021-06-1811:27:49

Maybe sounds dumb, but have u tried enabling wake timers…?

hint: that setting doesnt work anyway, but seriously, maybe windows needs it to... "wake up" hence it cant go "sleep" (yes, its a bug, not a feature)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/21/2021 at 4:57 AM, Warlock Sanders said:

Hi,

What version of Windows 10 you using? Pro or Home?

Pro

On 6/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Maybe sounds dumb, but have u tried enabling wake timers…?

hint: that setting doesnt work anyway, but seriously, maybe windows needs it to... "wake up" hence it cant go "sleep" (yes, its a bug, not a feature)

Yup i've tried both with wake timers enabled and disabled. This is the wake timers

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /waketimers
Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 4:00:00 am on 騁2.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 11:52:48 pm on 22/06/2021.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Wake To Work' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 0

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you're using Pro, have you tried creating Group Policy through gpedit.msc?