Stupid Proof Prebuilt for My Elderly Father

Budget (including currency): 500-700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: web browsing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Okay so my dad wants a prebuilt. He's old, doesn't game, just wants a faster machine. Doesn't want to 'wait a week for me to find time to build him one' to my disappointment. So I'm looking for a prebuilt. I don't really shop for prebuilts and looking at newegg gives me call center flashbacks with names like 'work station' and 'Mini PC'. Cases that look like they belong in a banker's office. Trying to find him something that will look good, and be fast that he can dump a bunch of shovelware on that he thinks he needs and can handle 18 low quality photos of the same boat saved in different places. something stupid proof, but with slightly more power than he needs so it doesn't get bogged down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Buy a refurb HP Prodesk.  Can get a 7th gen i5 or i7 with a decent setup pretty cheap.  Get it with 16GB RAM and an SSD And you're golden.

Dell and Lenovo offer similar builds.  

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Buy a refurb HP Prodesk.  Can get a 7th gen i5 or i7 with a decent setup pretty cheap.  Get it with 16GB RAM and an SSD And you're golden.

Dell and Lenovo offer similar builds.  

Ok I found a prodesk 600 G2 with a 6th gen i7, 16gb ram, gt 1030 1TB SSD. With enough left over for an ultrawide monitor. That may do it. thanks! 

4 hours ago, Punk Rock Princess said:

Ok I found a prodesk 600 G2 with a 6th gen i7, 16gb ram, gt 1030 1TB SSD. With enough left over for an ultrawide monitor. That may do it. thanks! 

they're damned solid systems, and are fairly reliable as they are HP's "business" line.  No frills, but stable.

They just tend to hit the market in large quantities as refurbs after 3-4 years, once the "leasing" or "warranty" period is up.

6 hours ago, Punk Rock Princess said:

Budget (including currency): 500-700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: web browsing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Okay so my dad wants a prebuilt. He's old, doesn't game, just wants a faster machine. Doesn't want to 'wait a week for me to find time to build him one' to my disappointment. So I'm looking for a prebuilt. I don't really shop for prebuilts and looking at newegg gives me call center flashbacks with names like 'work station' and 'Mini PC'. Cases that look like they belong in a banker's office. Trying to find him something that will look good, and be fast that he can dump a bunch of shovelware on that he thinks he needs and can handle 18 low quality photos of the same boat saved in different places. something stupid proof, but with slightly more power than he needs so it doesn't get bogged down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Get a NUC. It is small, low power, versatile Put in 10+ gigs of RAM and put in an SSD.