I have good hardware, but it doesn't perform at expectations

Hi all!
I have a thoretical good setup (Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1060 in a gigabyte laptop system with 256 SSD + 1TB HDD), but when running my CAT tools (Trados Studio, Across, Transit NXT) with memories and projects on my SSD, I experience significant lagging, even though my CPU and RAM rarely go over 45% performance.
I can't for the life of me figure out what causes this lagging in large documents, and am hesitant to change my hardware without first troubleshooting. 

Any tips?
Thanks in advance !

Yuna

25 minutes ago, YunaGuillamot said:

Hi all!
I have a thoretical good setup (Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1060 in a gigabyte laptop system with 256 SSD + 1TB HDD), but when running my CAT tools (Trados Studio, Across, Transit NXT) with memories and projects on my SSD, I experience significant lagging, even though my CPU and RAM rarely go over 45% performance.
I can't for the life of me figure out what causes this lagging in large documents, and am hesitant to change my hardware without first troubleshooting. 

Any tips?
Thanks in advance !

Yuna

Can you check per core usage? Might be a single core is at max and that is the limiting factor (that or if 2 cores are at a consistent solid 50% because windows being weird).

I’m pretty sure that if you looked at individual threads/cores in task manager that you would see one of them getting pegged at 100%. That would be the bottleneck.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

37 minutes ago, Roswell said:

I’m pretty sure that if you looked at individual threads/cores in task manager that you would see one of them getting pegged at 100%. That would be the bottleneck.

OK, 2 of my cores max out with Trados and SQL tasks, is there anything I can do ?

5 minutes ago, YunaGuillamot said:

OK, 2 of my cores max out with Trados and SQL tasks, is there anything I can do ?

Use hardware acceleration everywhere.

You can do some program specific optimization on your end to get like 10% better performance. For example, disable background services on your OS etc.

You can modify your workflow, for example video editors use proxies to make their work faster.

If any of these softwares is FOSS, you can recompile it with flags.

But if it is closed source software, and the first three tips are chosen, then you can't do much. It will depend on the manufacturer of the SW to solve the problem.

I can't tell you much about per program basis as I haven't used these softwares. You must do your own research

1 hour ago, YunaGuillamot said:

Unfortunately no, there’s nothing you can do. The developer would need to implement better multithreaded support.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20