Help regarding RGB software support for MSI B550-A PRO

Zeredos
Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
1 hour ago, Zeredos said:

Very sorry for the late reply i've just been really busy, i shouldn't of necessarily said obviously, but my whole stigma with Mystic Light is not with it itself but rather as you said the fact they have integrated it into their Dragon Center. Which i've seen a surprising amount of complaints about from people for various things, from it running horribly to messing with people's WIFI etc. That with the fact it doesn't have my board listed as supported as well as me just wanting to avoid Dragon Center all together is why i've ended up looking/asking different alternatives.

But to re-iterate, what alternatives i have looked at either require Mystic Light and by extension Dragon Center now i guess, or just don't list my board/B550 boards at all on their support lists. Seeing how as this is my first PC, i'd rather not take chances i don't need too to "test the water" so to speak, when i can just refer to a more experienced source of information for help. But you've said it right brotha, finicky is definitely a word to describe this pickle and i'm honestly after a month and a half of rainbow vomit just getting tired of it heh.

if you want to use the mb rgb/argb headers you need the msi rgb software... jacknet and open rgb i think need that installed to beable to control the headers.

all rgb software is bloatware and if you dont want to risk it them maybe an manual  remote controller or controller with buttons is the best option.

Gelid Solutions AMBER5 is what i recommend has like 366 presets...

Hello everyone, i first wanted to start with i've asked this question in a similar manner maybe over a month ago now, but what i ended up with did not work out and i wanted to give it one more shot before i resort to buying a separate controller. As the title reads, i have an MSI B550-A PRO and this is my first PC, so when looking at the board i was just looking for ARGB headers of which it does have (JRainbow specifically for MSI). But i did not factor in the actual software support for it which appears to be zero and that sort of threw me through a loop. Mystic Light obviously doesn't support the board, so i looked at an alternative called "MSIRGB", however when looking on their support list i did not see this board, i then found my way to something called JackNET RGB Sync and when looking there i didn't even see B550 boards on the support list and IIRC they required Mystic Light for it to work. So far that's all i've found but as mentioned before, i wanted to give it one last shot to see if anyone else is in my shoes and knows of anything left field that works, otherwise i will just bite the bullet and get a controller.

Thanks for your time,
Zeredos

I haven't used newer MSI boards but I thought Mystic Light had been folded into their bigger bloatware suite called Dragon Center? You say ML "obviously" doesn't work but it isn't obvious to me anyway why not. If the board has an ARGB header I presume MSI has some app they push to control it.

I will say that the lighting on MSI boards is notoriously finicky, at least based on what I've read, and OpenRGB dropped support for them at least for a while because you could end up bricking the board entirely.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 6/16/2021 at 8:11 PM, Middcore said:

I haven't used newer MSI boards but I thought Mystic Light had been folded into their bigger bloatware suite called Dragon Center? You say ML "obviously" doesn't work but it isn't obvious to me anyway why not. If the board has an ARGB header I presume MSI has some app they push to control it.

I will say that the lighting on MSI boards is notoriously finicky, at least based on what I've read, and OpenRGB dropped support for them at least for a while because you could end up bricking the board entirely.

Very sorry for the late reply i've just been really busy, i shouldn't of necessarily said obviously, but my whole stigma with Mystic Light is not with it itself but rather as you said the fact they have integrated it into their Dragon Center. Which i've seen a surprising amount of complaints about from people for various things, from it running horribly to messing with people's WIFI etc. That with the fact it doesn't have my board listed as supported as well as me just wanting to avoid Dragon Center all together is why i've ended up looking/asking different alternatives.

But to re-iterate, what alternatives i have looked at either require Mystic Light and by extension Dragon Center now i guess, or just don't list my board/B550 boards at all on their support lists. Seeing how as this is my first PC, i'd rather not take chances i don't need too to "test the water" so to speak, when i can just refer to a more experienced source of information for help. But you've said it right brotha, finicky is definitely a word to describe this pickle and i'm honestly after a month and a half of rainbow vomit just getting tired of it heh.

1 hour ago, Zeredos said:

if you want to use the mb rgb/argb headers you need the msi rgb software... jacknet and open rgb i think need that installed to beable to control the headers.

all rgb software is bloatware and if you dont want to risk it them maybe an manual  remote controller or controller with buttons is the best option.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

53 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

What's throwing me off is the fact they simply don't list my board on their support lists, it being bloatware isn't an issue i just want something that i confidently know would work. They took the time to make lists, i doubt they'd just skip a board that'd work with it just because. Now the only other thing i could think of is it's only listing boards with RGB on the board ITSELF and any other board with RGB headers would still work, in which case very confusing for new PC builders like me to just not list EVERY board that could work with the software itself.

Anyways, i'm just blabbing at this point so i think i'm just going to take your suggestion and go get a controller as i should of probably a while ago now, thanks for your help!

2 minutes ago, Zeredos said:

What's throwing me off is the fact they simply don't list my board on their support lists, it being bloatware isn't an issue i just want something that i confidently know would work. They took the time to make lists, i doubt they'd just skip a board that'd work with it just because. Now the only other thing i could think of is it's only listing boards with RGB on the board ITSELF and any other board with RGB headers would still work, in which case very confusing for new PC builders like me to just not list EVERY board that could work with the software itself.

Anyways, i'm just blabbing at this point so i think i'm just going to take your suggestion and go get a controller as i should of probably a while ago now, thanks for your help!

well if you dont no ask msi they should tell you what software is need. i mean it cant hurt to try and install it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links